Home | About | Donate

Syria Bombing Debate in UK Underscores 'Dereliction of Duty' in US

Syria Bombing Debate in UK Underscores 'Dereliction of Duty' in US

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

As the debate over whether Britain should start bombing the Islamic State (ISIS) in Syria reaches fever pitch in the UK, calls for similarly vigorous public deliberation in the U.S.—which has been conducting airstrikes within the war-torn country for more than a year—continue to fall on deaf ears.

The juxtaposition is an "embarrassing" reflection of how "the Brits have a much more robust debate than we have," CodePink co-founder Medea Benjamin told Common Dreams on Monday.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Well what do you think. To me It sounds like. that Corbyn sold out to the Warmongers.

https://www.rt.com/uk/323949-labour-airstrikes-shadow-cabinet/

Since the Russians are doing such a good job, why should the British taxpayers waste their money doing the same?

Except that the Russians are there by request of Syria to protect its sovereignty. The US, UK and France want to over throw the government of Syria. Different missions. The taxpayers of those countries do not decide.

Wow this guy John Pilger is spot on.

You just now heard of Pilger?

The results of all the other bombing campaigns have gone so well, I cannot understand the reluctance to engage in yet another.

There are just now scattered reports that Turkey (NATO) have closed the Bosporus to Russian shipping. A vote for this bombing is likely to be a vote for WWIII.
The suggestion that the Tories also allow a free vote is an excellent one.

Just where are you finding these 'scattered reports' as I am unable to locate any reputable sources that would verify this. Other reports would seem to not only refute this idea but provide reasons for why it is unlikely. From http://rbth.com/defence/2015/11/30/only-in-the-event-of-war-can-turkey-close-the-straits_545995

""I don’t think that Turkey, even in these tense conditions with
Russia, will want to violate the Montreux Convention, because if Turkey
begins violating it, it will be very difficult to restore it. We can ask
the question: can Turkey close the straits to Russia? Theoretically,
yes. But to do so, it must declare war on Russia, since the Montreux
Convention states that only in the event of a war can Turkey close the
straits," said Buzhinsky.

First published in Russian in Gazeta.ru

The link to the Turkish straits website doesn't indicate what at infowars said it did and there is no indication that Russian ships are not passing as a quick look at the relevant pages shows that there are pilots on board (Pob) Russian ships and others as well as not Pob for Russian and others. If they weren't going to allow passage, I would expect a first indication would be all Russian-flagged ships with no Pob and others with.
I admit, I'm just guessing but it's hard to find any evidence at all of any blockade or closure. There are notices, one from November, or possibly March, and one for today or tomorrow but only for a short closure. At Istanbul: "TRAFFIC WILL CLOSE FROM SOUTH TO NORTH 03/11/2015 AT 13.30 HRS.. WILL BE OPEN FROM NORTH TO SOUTH 03/11/2015 AT 15.30 HRS .. -"
At Canakkale: >> TRAFFIC WILL BE SUSPENDED FOR SOUTHBOUND
VESSELS ON 01.12.2015 AT 04:45 HRS DUE TO NORTHBOUND UCC/ MSC BARI / LOA
365 M ENTERING 01.12.2015 AT 06:30 LT FROM MEHMETCIK. - ((UPDATE)) TRAFFIC WILL BE SUSPENDED FOR NORTHBOUND VESSELS ON 02.12.2015 AT 03:30 HRS DUE TO SOUTHBOUND LNG/C MOSTEFA BE BOULAID /
LOA 279 M ENTERING 02.12.2015 AT 06:45 LT FROM GELIBOLU.
http://www.turkishstraits.com/

None of this looks like a closure to Russian ships but if anyone can read this differently, please comment.

JP, always a voice of reason and compassion.

and the taxpayers in the US decide? Congress does not even decide. It is the corporate war machine making all the weapons of war that decide and there bought and paid for Generals and politicians including the President.

Thank you Senator Chris Murphy.

Congress is derilict in thier duty or AWOL They send us into war & the silence is deafening Congress is a Disgrace!

It's good to learn that some members of congress are growing tired of being cowardly sneaks.

The prerequisite for being a US congressperson or US president is...cowardice.

no, not confused about anything, and certainly not full of myself like you are.

Yes I'm well aware of him.

I think the parliament needs to postpone the vote for at least one week. Due to the developments of Russian evidence. That Nato member Turkey was dealing in Isis oil stolen from Syria. Soon Russia will be providing more evidence. This information should be factored in before a vote is taken.