Home | About | Donate

System Change will not be Negotiated

System Change will not be Negotiated

Nnimmo Bassey

We frequently hear calls for system change, at public mobilisations, in conference halls and even in negotiation halls. The calls come as slogans, they come in anger and they come as a strong rebuke to the systemic scaffold on which our pains, our exploitation and the denial of our voices and rights are hung.

Trump: Speaking power to truth.

System change will never be achieved until we change our political system of corporate rule.

This will require all of us to reject the Two-party system of government that has betrayed us all.

Think Green!

People, Planet, and Peace over Profit.

Reject Corruption once and for all.

Awareness is increasing that the reality of our respective pasts, from which we so desperately need applicable wisdom, has in far too many cases been hijacked for ' market' purposes.

Nnimmo Bassey has has for decades been an inspiration to young people who have entered the struggle for ecological, political and ethnic justice. The breadth of ethnic legacy wisdom has never been more valuable. Besides WHAT is addressed is HOW the socioecological, linguistic (whether the language of spirit, words, water, weather and whole) absolutely must be respected, upheld and provided space, LAND and TIME to function according to these invaluable legacy traditions.

Western "exceptionalism" which demands that each people, differentiated by place and relationship with the Earth Mother, kneel before its destructive demands, is a centuries old pattern that MUST be named for what it is. Behind the corporate juggernaut is so profoundly flawed a model that the less competent it is, the more it must take. It takes from EVERY aspect of life, twists and abuses these and then demands that you pay it to do so.

As long as any private money is allowed to influence politics the continued transfer of wealth from the 99% to the 1% will result in a neofuedal state where the 1% own everything and the 99% own nothing. .

What was learned from the Arab Oil Embargo of 1973: High prices and long lines at the gas pumps can gravely damage political careers. This fact gives oil corporations extraordinary power over our politics and policies. As a nation, we're hyper-dependent on privately-owned motor vehicles.

But, you know, sellout Democrats raised CAFE standards, massively expanded renewable energy tax credits (say goodbye to them now), and hugely funded energy efficiency investments with the Stimulus bill. We put solar panels on my office building due to the credits. Musta been their neoliberal sellout ways, right? Of course, this was all done to undermine poor people, who they don't care about at all. As good progressives say, give me hard right if I can't get everything at once immediately--Bill Clinton bad!

I'm not sure where you're going with that, but it also bears mentioning that Clinton's top 5 legislative accomplishments were all things on the GOP wish list. If you are promoting better CAFE standards but also promoting the spread of winner-take-all global capitalism, that's a net loss for the planet. At some point the Dems need to connect the dots and realize we need a fundamentally different economy--not just improving things here and there in a structurally unsustainable economy.

I agree with you, Clinton Bad, but no one's is completely anything. Even Trump has a few good ideas (detente with Russia, end globalism).