Home | About | Donate

Takeaway from the UN Biodiversity Report: Time to Give Nature Some Love

Takeaway from the UN Biodiversity Report: Time to Give Nature Some Love

Judith Schwartz

The new report on nature’s precipitous decline is… beyond alarming.

2 Likes

Busy monster eats dark holes in the spirit world
Where wild things have to go
To disappear
Forever
If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear?

• Bruce Cockburn

I do spend money on birdseed to help the wild birds, and I feed the squirrels too because they have actually planted a lot of trees around here. I never worry about the fallen leaves because all kinds of birds and insects can use the leaves for homes and hiding places too. It’s free entertainment too because the jays come when I whistle to let them know that food is out----and squirrels come when I whistle for the jays. : )

3 Likes

Your beloved hermit thrush, like mine in E. Penobscot Bay, Maine, will be gone entirely to Canada on account of climate change by the end of this century, if not sooner. If there is a bird in New England with a more beautiful sound than the hermit thrush, I don’t know what it is. Audubon issued a report a few years ago predicting changes in avian ranges and concluding among other things that a dozen US states will lose their state birds (including Vermont’s hermit thrush) by the end of the century as the climate warms and habitat changes. Then, we will hear only the sounds of ghosts. Earlier this week I planted out two apple tree rootstocks to which I’d grafted scions a year ago. Nature has no agency and cannot “want” to heal itself, but it’s programmed for survival which amounts to the same thing. Our fate as humans is entwined with the thrushes and the pear and apple trees, and as moral agents we humans may choose to take responsibility as stewards, or we may choose to continue dominating and destroying nature without realizing that if we destroy nature, we destroy ourselves.

1 Like

We humans are a part of nature. So our agency is nature’s agency, and our want is nature’s want.