Home | About | Donate

Taking MLK Out of Context and Promoting Military Industrial Complex, Super Bowl Ads Condemned

Taking MLK Out of Context and Promoting Military Industrial Complex, Super Bowl Ads Condemned

Julia Conley, staff writer

A number of ads run by NBC during Sunday night's Super Bowl coverage provoked condemnation on social media, as the network chose to promote a controversial religious group that's been denounced as a cult by former followers, and use a speech by Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. to sell cars in the kind of advertisement the civil rights leader had specifically criticized.

“Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their mark
Made everything from toy guns that spark
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It’s easy to see without looking too far
That not much is really sacred…”
–Bob Dylan, “It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)”

Great choice for a quote. I saw the ad and couldn’t believe that the King family knew MLK’s speech would be used like this. It is just a patronizing flip to African-Americans; a phony homage to Black History Month, and just plain insulting to King’s memory. This country has no soul anymore.

A more important story is that hundreds of demonstrators, led by Black Lives Matter, stopped light rail for hours before the Super Bowl. This is important because police ID-checked every light rail rider and if you did not have a Super Bowl ticket and did not pay $30 you were prevented from getting on/were kicked off in and around the “security zone.”

Other outrages against the people of MN included kicking homeless people out of temporary motel housing in Minneapolis and then warehousing them in closed Saint Paul schools and turning downtown Minneapolis into an occupied zone that included police, FBI and National Guard armed with armored vehicles, automatic weapons, snipers on roofs, concrete barriers, etc.

A coalition of liberal and labor groups mounted a separate march from BLM that made noise and did not attempt to do anything else, typical of labor and liberals in the U.S.

Meanwhile the “progressive media” in the U.S. (including CD) have pretty much ignored what resistance there was to the corporate extravaganza of bread, circuses, gladiators and Justin Timberlake ripping off local fave Prince while both Yahoo and Google reported on the BLM blockades, actually presenting the story fairly accurately.

It’s long past time for leftists, progressives and liberals to take a hard look in the mirror and stop whining long enough to ORGANIZE NOW!!!

Trump’s America filled with morons. Yep, land of the cowards, home of the money groveling moron. How do we change this? Vote the fools out and if this does not succeed 10 million of us in the streets of D.C. and Manhattan.

Just asking: when did it really have a soul?

I call it the “Military Recruitment Bowl”.

Exactly!

In the meantime, the mob was out late last night in Philadelphia celebrating their win in the chariot races.

Peace
Po

The MIC super bowl ads, from my perspective, were an egregious insult to MLK and too bad the King family could not have had them retracted.

What if in the future, say maybe super bowl 98, the game was completely boycotted and the stands were empty. Naw, on second thought, no chance!

King condemned capitalism, but CD promotes the capitalistic democratic party still.

Interesting

I used to love football. But no more. I tried to watch some last night but was quickly driven off by the corporate vampires and their “artistic” advertisements. At this point I reject all of it…the glorification of violence and militarism, the mind numbing commercialization, the astronomical pay of the players, the droning talking heads all saying nothing… It is all ugly and none of it, positive in any way.

MLK quoted during a Truck commercial…nothing short of criminal. America is there no depth you are not willing to sink?

The Circus once again pacifies the ignorant masses.

So far, no one has been able to find one!

The Romans had their Circus; the Third Reich had their Circus and the Fourth Reich has their Circus to pacify their ignorant masses. True.

An altogether offensive ad. I was struck by the militarism in the ad, it was ‘supposedly’ about service. MLK was definitely against US militarism and empire!

I like to think that during the 60s when Johnson, (in spite of his other crimes), signed the Voting Rights Act, among other things. It seemed, albeit briefly, that we were moving forward. Then Nixon showed up, and things become more tenuous. I guess, it really hasn’t been well since. (I initially wrote"…right since.", but right has been the problem).

But . . .  But . . .  If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!   Things HAVE been right.  Too far right!!

And then there’s Scientifuckology — banned in Britain, IIRC (and the Brits seem to tolerate kooks more readily than D’Uhmurika usually does).   But not to worry, Scientifuckology will give us balance between Drümph Univ­ersity’s marketing expertise and Buttsy DeVios “christian” funny-dementalist takeover of K-12 education.  When Eldrond Hubbub founded his “religion” in order to win a bet with a fellow Sci-Fi author (A. E. van Vogt?), I won­der if he had any idea that his joke would turn out to be even more evil – if not quite as wide-spread – as the Church of Rome?  OTOH, what’s going to happen when AmWay starts selling E-Meters at a 10% discount??

ALL religions are evil, by the way — they’re based on fraud, and resort to force when the fraud is revealed.  Scientifuckology’s fraud is just a little more far-fetched – and it’s ability to extract money from it’s adherents
a little more successful – than some of the more mainstream “christian” cults.

if organized religion and political parties were made illegal we could solve more than half of the world’s most pressing problems post haste.

A couple of moments when I realized that the emperor often has no clothes: Since my parents didn’t attend church but had taken me to Sunday school, I actually had a choice. At eight years old, I asked my atheist father which church I should join. Wisely, he suggested that I visit them all. I went, alone, to a handful of them. The Sunday schools. I asked a lot of questions. It seems everyone was so sure that they were right! It took me a few more months of reflection, but I finally realized that indeed, the emperor had no clothes. It was the Vietnamese era.
The next biggie was in junior high. Suddenly there were mandatory pep assemblies. We were expected to scream and cheer forever to encourage the football team. Required to sing at one game with chorus, I stared in disbelief at the ambulance across the field waiting for injured players.Sheez! What an idiotic game The school’s trophy case? Full of sports trophies but few music, art or academics.

Current press about chronic brain injury of football player? Ew.

The ads this year? A reaction to last year, when Lady Gaga sang This Land Is Your Land, and a previous year when Coke’s leader Muhtar Kent put up America the Beautiful in an ad with many languages, many ethnicities, many religions and a gay couple with a child all pictured.