Home | About | Donate

Taking Short Break From Denouncing Trump Authoritarianism, House Dems Join With GOP to 'Violate the Privacy Rights of Everyone in United States'

Just recently watched Snowden. Within the first 1/2 I ran and placed black electrical tape over my laptop webcam. Now, I should rid myself of my cell.

And in the movie when Snowden reveals such warrant-less invasion of privacy, his girlfriend says, “Why should I care, I have nothing to hide.”

Snowden replies, "That’s a bullshit argument.

Indeed. So many cretins on both sides of the isle so much house cleaning and so little time.

AA is an addiction IN ITSELF!!! When I decided in 1990 that I needed to stop drugs and alcohol, I went to re-hab where I was FORCED to go to meetings because THAT was “the ONLY way to clean and sober”. BULLSHIT!!! I NEVER went to another waste of time meeting where use/abuse was more RE-INFORCED by repetition_ than an aid to sobriety.

I am proud to say that I have been clean and sober for over a quarter of a century and I consider going to a meeting as tantamount to taking “that first drink”!!!

but, but, but,… the republicans are worse … blahblahblah.

High past time to stop voting for either major political party. Support Bernie, that’s it. He is the last best chance for change. Not Warren, not Booker, not Oprah. (Yes, I understand there is no other choice, but the least evil makes no difference in our lives.)

With Bernie in the White House, and he could have been there now had the democrats not forced Hillary on the country, there is a good chance that he will appoint or select to high level positions some of the greenest, most progressive, peeps around. Margaret Flowers and/or Jill Stein for Health & Human Services. Cornell West, Thomas Franks, etc in either leadership or advisory positions, etc. It could have been folks.

Yes, but I would argue it is probably too late. Ever since the evil empires Coup D’ Etat in 1963 and the evil empire not held accountable the deep state has become a police state that will never allow any potential threats to its political power.

Wish this came as a surprise. Shmemocrats, just like Repugs, belong to ONE party with two right wings.

I appreciate you sharing your sentiments and your experience. There are many others whose experiences differ from yours, and whose sentiments are opposite yours. Fascism, however, should have no place in a recovery program.

Peace!

Worthless Democrats.

Someone enlighten me please. Is there any chance the information so acquired, parsed by some ever smarter AI and cross referenced, might be sold? Impossible? I’m finding the complex maneuvering around Bannon, Mercer, Cambridge Analytica, Brexit and so on a trifle scripted.

Oh and HI, AI, have a nice cycle.

I just saw a different account of the vote with Dingell voting NO.

I don’t know which one is accurate. I’ll set the record straight tomorrow.

DEMOCRATIC YEAS: Carper, Coons, Donnelly, Hassan, Heinrich, Heitkamp, Kaine, Leahy, Manchin, McCaskill, Nelson, Peters, Shaheen, Stabenow, Tester, Udall, …

Democratic leadership in the House.

Really?

Leadership?

Fokker,

You can lead a horse to water…

But donkeys, they’re hard to lead anywhere.

I believe the definitive source is http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/roll016.xml (as linked in this story). It’s a bit confusing because there was another roll call for an amendment to this bill that had typically progressive reps (like Tulsi Gabbard) voting for (see http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/roll014.xml), but of course Tulsi voted against on the final vote. My rep (Ted Lieu) and yours (Dingell) voted the same way as Gabbard.

(Note: I found the link to the other roll call at the Cato institute - https://www.cato.org/blog/house-votes-reauthorize-fisa-section-702-mass-surveillance-program).

Like addicts to a crack pipe…

Yeah, your link is the second one I saw, so I’ll stand corrected and apologize to Debbie Dingell–she actually voted the right way and I commend her for it.

You expect her to act differently?

We must not fail to take into account how poorly The Newshour, ME and ATC prepared us for this.

In reference to dara’s last link:

“The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization — a think tank — dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues.”

Sounds a lot like the “libertarian people” who as far as I can tell have very “Undefined Ideas” Whenever I hear free markets I cringe. Free to what? Free to rob workers, the environment and consumers blind ?

Mr. Snowden taught me to put double bar codes over my l MAC lense ?

Common dreams should post the names and emails of these yes votes so we can give them appropriate guidance on their votes.