Home | About | Donate

Teach Your Children Well: Valedictorian Silenced For Naming Trayvon and Tamir

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/further/2019/06/07/teach-your-children-well-valedictorian-silenced-naming-trayvon-and-tamir

4 Likes

Wow, I doubt she fully understands how brave she is. Somebody taught her well.

13 Likes

The principle is a coward, plain and simple. Own up to your censorship or let her speak.

8 Likes

"I knew none of the consequences I could possibly face came even slightly close to what the families of the victims have to live with on a daily basis"

This quote beautifully sums up the basis for moral self-determination, and why it is a huge mistake to confuse morality with conformity, as school administrators usually do.

18 Likes

Dear High School Principal:

Maybe for next year, you could announce that all speeches by students are free form editing , and from the hearts of our students. For what are we giving them as they enter the world, if free thoughts and free speech are not their rights?

8 Likes

This reminds me of the current attempt to prevent students from speaking about climate change in their commencement addresses. It’s hard to say if it’s more amazing that schools feel these issues shouldn’t be addressed, or that finally, young people in this country are waking up to the need to address these things. It’s heartening. Arbitrary authority commands no respect.

8 Likes

bodeswell:

“Arbitrary authority commands no respect.” Couldn’t agree more. Never, ever thumb your nose at arbitrary authority. As long as your hands are free, why not give 'em the finger?!

3 Likes

The principal is emblematic of precisely the groveling that corporate interests want to see from emigrants of color. As Trump and his ilk attempt: to take, distort and suppress all engagement with historical discussion of all social concerns into manipulated, leveraged, weaponized human shields for THE ABUSERS. Because predatory capitalism will crumble and blow away with it.

SPEAK OUT !!

4 Likes

Actually, America needs such immigrants much more than they need us. They can, and do, make us less insular and more compassionate, but only if we will listen.

2 Likes