Home | About | Donate

Tech Companies Need to Get Serious About Confronting Hate

Tech Companies Need to Get Serious About Confronting Hate

Carmen Scurato

There are constant global reminders of the role that tech companies play in fueling the rampant rise of white supremacy. Following the massacre at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, social-media platforms struggled to keep the horrific video of the live shooting off of their platforms. And after the Tree of Life Synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh, “Kill All Jews” trended on Twitter, and antisemitism surged on Instagram.

With reverence for the First Amendment, I prefer a strategy of educating consumers of information in the skill of critical thinking, which I believe to be the best immunization against pandemic hatred. It is difficult given both the existent degradation in that skill in the general population and the technology-use gap among generations. Censorship is a slippery slope, unless, of course, I get to wield the redaction Sharpie. You can trust me…

3 Likes

My sentiments are very similar to yours. Having Zuckerberg, et al, acting as our collective censors seems like a really dangerous idea. These companies have already demonstrated that they are incapable of doing it, even if it could be done well, which I believe it cannot.

Part of the cost of having the First Amendment is having to put with speech you disagree with.

How ironic that the author is described as “a senior policy counsel at Free Press,” while advocating for censorship.

1 Like