Home | About | Donate

Tech Giants Drop CISA Support as Controversial Spy Bill Heads for Vote

Tech Giants Drop CISA Support as Controversial Spy Bill Heads for Vote

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Following a number of dedicated grassroots campaigns by consumer rights advocates, technology companies are coming out against the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (CISA) as the controversial surveillance bill barrels toward a vote in the U.S. Senate.

Some of the industry titans now publicly opposing CISA are Google, Apple, and Twitter, among other well-known companies, while those who support the bill include Verizon, AT&T, and Cisco.

The governments (visible and invisible) are terrified of the democratic potential of the internet. The one-way valve that television provided was so much more convenient. Screw 'em.

Makes me wonder if this isn't PR by the tech companies, with a wink and a nod to the govt., like the specific number of legislators allowed to vote against a bill so they look good to their constituents, while knowing the bill will pass.

Hope I'm wrong.

Call me deeply cynical about the tech industry caring a whit about our (their customers') privacy. Uh huh.
They sold us out several times over in these last few decades, remember?
And take a gander at the continuing moving target called terms and conditions 'agreements' that we 'have' to agree to in order to use 'their' 'products' and services. Let's be crystal clear, we don't have any. Ugh.
That Condi Rice is on the board of dropbox makes me sick.