Home | About | Donate

Teen Climate Activist to Crowd of Thousands: 'We Can't Save the World by Playing by the Rules Because the Rules Have to Change'

Teen Climate Activist to Crowd of Thousands: 'We Can't Save the World by Playing by the Rules Because the Rules Have to Change'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Addressing some 10,000 people in Helsinki on Saturday at what some campaigners are calling Finland's largest ever climate demonstration, 15-year-old Greta Thunberg urged marchers to fight for the major systemic changes that experts have said are necessary to limit greenhouse gas emissions and avert a looming climate catastrophe.

4 Likes

The system status quo keeps closing the doors on processes to reform the system. They’ve been doing this for years. That leaves no other choice but to change the system.

7 Likes

That young lady’s remarks brought tears to my eyes.
If we don’t wind up killing them off, they might actually make meaningful change and create a sustainable world. If they can do that, more power to them; it is their world they are trying to save. We should all help them do it, in any way we can.
;-})

18 Likes

She is a brilliant 15 year old. We older people owe it to them and all the other species to reverse the ecological crisis and change the system for their benefit. Solidarity!

13 Likes

Well no shit.
It isn’t going to happen by trying to change the rules by following the rules either.

2 Likes

Of course we passed the tipping point decades ago. What we are doing right now is trying to minimize the downside for future generations. Of course that is not the goal of the Trump administration because they care not for their children or anyone else’s. They care only for themselves.

5 Likes

Yes, yes and yes! Another absolutely spot-on correct assessment of necessary response to the present crisis.

We need to revolutionize human systems based on ecological and humanistic principles, democratize property and wealth, and abolish the “limited-liability, investor-owned corporation” as the basic building block of the economy. More or less immediately. Via intentionally organized, mass, nonviolent direct action.

Here’s a link to another article at Common Dreams, that goes a little into strategy and tactics for this mass movement nonviolent direct-action ecological and humanistic revolution:

6 Likes

This one kid is smarter than every adult on earth put together.

2 Likes

It is truly astonishing that one 15 year old girl is more thoughtful and intellectually aware of our Earth’s needs, than the entire Republican party and Supreme Court of the United States.

6 Likes

Revolution is the only thing that will work!

Trump is not the cause, he is only the carbuncle on the surface that reveals the fœtid rot underneath.  Exxon-Mobile’s own scientists warned of the possible effects probable consequences of adding massive amounts of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere several decades ago, but the greedy profit-motivated owners of the company deliberately hid their warning.  Ditto all of the other “leaders” in the fossil-fuel industry.  And it’s not just the Re­PoopLickens.  There are plenty of DamnocRats who take “campaign contributions” (aka bribes) from the big oil companies and other polluters.  Florida’s Dirty Debbie Duhbya-Ass (Hilliary’s crony DWS) is a prime example of a D.I.N.O. who is in the pocket of Big Ag, the usurious Payday Lenders, and other corrupting influences.

Men with Forkéd Tongues
                Lead Us Down a Crooked Path
                Into DEEP Kim-Chee . . .

1 Like

Repigs and Supreme jerk offs are by products of the Mega - Elite few that rule over us and their system they put in place. Since most of us know we are decades too late on Climate Change, their courageous rally will again fall upon deaf ears. We who are 50 - seniors are already done. It’s their world and their life we’re talking about. Let’s see if they can figure out what needs to be done as they see their protest fade like all of the other meaningless peaceful rallies. If no Direct action is taken, fossil fuels and the money will continue as usual. Better do something real quick. It’s your time wasted!

Doesn’t master of deceit Karl Rove chair Swedish political campaigns ?

1 Like

Revolution will be the beginning. Throwing the crooks out of government and installing moral and ethical replacements must follow. Then, the real work of creating legislation to never permit the corruption we have endured for over 50 years will begin.

1 Like

They, the industrialists and we their consumer wage-slaves must all stop driving, flying, trucking, shipping so far, so much of the time. Stop staring at our cell phones while doing everything else. Stop pretending a self-driving Robotaxi or a 700mph hyperloop to somewhere else fast makes sense.
Hello vegetables. Hello water. Hello light. Hello trees. Hello life.

4 Likes

Sott.net today:
"Our society is being run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we’re being run by maniacs for maniacal and I think I’m liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That’s what’s insane about it.
–John Lennon

1 Like

Maniacal ends

Thank you – will try to look the link tomorrow.

"…demanding that politicians from all of Finland’s parties commit to cutting off subsidies for fossil fuels by 2020 and totally outlawing dirty energy by 2035, according to the local chapter of Greenpeace, which helped organize the event."

I think the idea of taking time off from work to demonstrate – which can happen in very limited ways to begin with – is a great idea. And I think Michael Moore is also talking about this tactic in connection with the Teachers’ rotating strikes in many states as an example of it. Haven’t seen the movie, as yet, but hope to see it soon.

ALSO, as we think of HOW the rules need to be changed, I think the original makes clear
what had to be changed at that time – since then, many more negative changes.

1992 World Scientists Warning to Humanity

https://www.ucsusa.org/about/1992-world-scientists.html#.W8wcyLTQZok

Scroll down to –
What We Must Do –

1 Like

Wellan –

"They, the industrialists and we their consumer wage-slaves must all stop driving, flying, trucking, shipping so far, so much of the time. Stop staring at our cell phones while doing everything else. Stop pretending a self-driving Robotaxi or a 700mph hyperloop to somewhere else fast makes sense.
** Hello vegetables. Hello water. Hello light. Hello trees. Hello life."**

I think that beginning to do some of these things in a “rotating” way and spontaneously
– for instance, at a declared time, all vehicles would be pulled to the side of the roadways
for a period of time. Or taken off the roadways. And the events would become more
frequent if necessary and longer. Including beginning to take time off from work – in a
limited way to begin with. These are ideas that I think Michael Moore is dealing with in his
new movie which I haven’t seen as yet – but the example of teachers rotating strikes across
the states.

Above all, we here in US need a firm commitment to “all are equal” and the equality of females.
Population is a threat to the planet and the right of women and families to control reproduction
must be protected.
Everyone must join together in the understanding that we are all people of color.
And we should seek the guidance of those AA’s and Homosexuals who have run Civil Rights
campaigns to free themselves of oppression … successfully.

No one in the US should be impoverished and our children must be loved and protected,
including from environmental catastrophe.

2 Likes

“Trump is a psychopath. With a lot of followers.”

Trump is the new trumpet for the anti-earth, anti- humanity band, which has played in the past with flutes as well as war drums. We must change the direction of their march. And change the song.