Home | About | Donate

Telecom-Backed Democrat in California Just "Mutilated" Nation's Strongest State Net Neutrality Bill

Telecom-Backed Democrat in California Just "Mutilated" Nation's Strongest State Net Neutrality Bill

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Following a "major win" for open internet advocates in the California Senate last month, State Assemblyman Miguel Santiago provoked widespread outrage on Wednesday when he "rammed through" amendments that critics say "eviscerate" what "would have been the best net neutrality bill in the country."

Clucking Corporate State Democrats. (not sarcasm) Now I’m certain there will be offered an excuse for this. Perhaps he is channeling an FDResque compromise position. (sarcasm) It would have nothing to do with selling out to corporate power and the super wealthy. Nope, not at all. (sarcasm)

The DNC is very pleased. His prospects with the national party are very bright indeed.

another damn democrat. hope his constituents and all the rest of us drive him from office this November. who is collecting donations???

A Democrat strikes down California Universal Healthcare.

Now a Democrat strikes down California Net Neutrality.

Gee with Democrats like this, who needs Republicans.

Oh Wait, are they the same thing?

And yet I keep hearing calls to vote for Blue in November. Give me a fucking break. It is hard to not just feel constantly beat down these days.

Bribery wins again, imagine that, thanks un-supreme court, you’re the court that keeps on giving.

Don’t give into breaking your spirit, your want or need for political change. The sociopathic, narcissistic greedy donors and their puppet politicians are banking that you will fold, and not vote. Big mistake.

Join a progressive group, find true progressive candidates. Americans main and foremost problem is getting money out of politics. It’s an uphill climb now but not if all around you people are doing the same. Strength in numbers. Power is still in our votes.

With Rethuglicons in power, Fascism is on its way, guaranteed. That’s with cult 45ers in power. We all need to get them out of office, along with these ahole Dems. There still are real moral Dems out there. Find them, back them. You think it’s bad now? Keep cult 45s in office, it will definitely be hell here. Despair is not an option.

where is this traitor’s district ? Let’s flood his district with literature explaining his treachery.

Don’t be silly. Any Democrat is better than any Republican, isn’t it?

Would you rather have a Republican take away your health care? Would you rather have a Republican take away your Internet access? Would you rather have a Republican end your Social Security/ Medicare benefits?

Of course not. It will be much better when a Democrat does it.

It will be pragmatic.
It will be compromise.
Or as a Democrat told me once: “It’s what you call ‘governing.’”

(This is what is called “sarcasm.”)

Until corporations and private capital are constrained from campaign donations and limited in their lobbying; and the revolving doors between government service and corporate boardrooms removed, there will continue to be a&&holes like Miguel Santiago @SantiagoAD53 who will sell out their constituents. Dem or GOP, it matters little.when big $$ is on the table.

So D’s must refuse corporate PAC money if they want my vote or support of any kind. If enough others demanded the same thing, the Party might start to take notice and work to fix the corrupt game.

Oh, but some will say, “we can’t do that…that would be disarming unilaterally!” And so they will continue to enable the corruption and stench that drives the frustrated into the arms of the Trumps of the world.

These “Democrats” who hustle for the 1% are going to find their entire party thrown out with the rest of the trash again in 2018 if they keep shilling and pimping for the filthy rich …

… if “the name of the game is staying in the game”, they will find out - again - that the majority of their party does not want them in the game …

… politics was never meant to be a profession (like medicine or prostitution, for example), but was meant to be officiated by CITIZENS … not the God damned Koch Brothers and the rest of their slime types …

Californians need to create a Citizens Initiative legally mandating as factual that “Democratic Party and the Republican Party are legally, and in fact one party.”

Incumbent Democrat, Miguel Santiago, member of the California Assembly from District 53 (downtown Los Angeles), just won the primary, along with lawyer, Kevin Jang, another Democrat. These two primary winners will vie for the office in November. In the primary, Santiago got 70% of the vote, and Jang got only 16%. Santiago, until now, has been ok. I went on Kevin Jang’s website, and he seems like a very mainstream Democrat. The three issues listed on his website were Business (encourage large and small business to rebuild local economy), Public Safety (reduce crime), and Environment (find effective way to conserve water other than raising water bill), and he was selected as a delegate of the California Democratic Party, and appointed to the California Democratic Party Standing Committee.

I emailed Kevin Jang about what Miguel Santiago had done today, and this was his response:

"I got a lot of phone calls and emails regarding that issue. I seriously don’t understand why he did it in favor of AT&T and Comcast, not district people.

He is also going against Democrat movement. I strongly oppose what he is doing about net neutrality law."

I honestly don’t know who would make a better assemblymember, but I would never vote for Miguel Santiago after what he has done to destroy net neutrality.

Why is it that when a crook defrauds his community, the city, county, or state’s attorney can go right after the crook and press charges, but when some elected politician defrauds the voters who elected him, we are expected to put up with YEARS of his political “Whoring Around” before we can unelect him?

Santiago-------wow----what is there to say----------however if found nailed to a phone pole–no one will be surprised because California is the land of the magic unicorn, and people can morph in minutes into anther life form.

Once again as always day after day, year after year, decade after decade the same shit happens over and over without change. The rich kick the shit out of the rest of us. In response some of us give up, others declare their intention to vote the bastards out (hows that working out for you), some hold up a few signs and walk around till they get pepper sprayed or arrested or both. The rich get richer, their control gets deeper and more entrenched, and the poor…well fuck those filthy animals. They have all the money…they own all the TV stations and newscasters, the magazines, they control all the tools of communication with unlimited money for surveillance. They know what you are going to do before you yourself know. They own the voting machines and rig the voting systems and the two totally controlled political parties. They own the supreme court and the military. They fucking own you…and year after year, decade after decade I hear the same weak puke responses from the left. It is like they lobotomized half the fucking country and castrated the other fucking half. Worse…we remain totally divided making poor decisions based on social programming and misinformation…and people call me a fucking cynic…it no longer bothers me. It is the price paid for living in reality.

Please tell me then, how are any other candidates going to win other than in a 'ranked election…other than and R or a D? I’ve voted for Greens and P and F candidates in local and state elections, none of them have ever won. If you have another idea, speak up, otherwise it’s just more noise.

I Am the Slime Frank Zappa …He wrote this 50+ years ago…“same as it ever was” David Byrne

I am gross and perverted
I’m obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I’m the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can’t look away
I make you think I’m delicious
With the stuff that I say
I’m the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I’m the slime oozin’ out
From your TV set

You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don’t need you
Don’t go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold

That’s right, folks . . .
Don’t touch that dial

Well, I am the slime from your video
Oozin’ along on your livin’ room floor

I am the slime from your video
Can’t stop the slime, people, lookit me go

See this mode of tyranny coming from a thousand miles distant. Free speech rights stripped away with a well trained and we’ll armed murderous police state as the enforcers. The answer back is unorganized and will have to be a word of mouth spontaneous showing of millions of Americans in unison demanding change in recognition of the dire threats to our freedom and future. Any response will have to be nonviolent to continue building the greater opposition. Make them show who they really are publicly.

Would have liked to read more details about how it is possible that one person can ram through amendments in a supposedly democratic body.

It’s Common Dreams. If you want to see the actual bill and its amendments, here it is:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB822

I don’t know enough to know what is hyperbole and what isn’t. The amendments as I read them seem pretty minor, but I have not tracked the bill to understand it fully. It doesn’t look like the cut-and-switch that I expected to see where a bill is massively changed but retains the same bill number. Even if this were to pass, to become law, the Senate and Assembly would have to work out their differences before sending it to the governor.

There is another hearing in a different committee, so it’s possible—even likely—the bill will change again. My bet is paid prioritization, assuming that is what the bill permits via the amendments, will get toned down or eliminated.