Home | About | Donate

Telling the Truth Is Not A Crime

Telling the Truth Is Not A Crime

In honor of this too often ignored World Press Freedom Day, a reminder that today at least 200 journalists - from China to Burundi to Mexico to perhaps most egregiously Egypt and Turkey - are imprisoned and sometimes tortured for doing their job, which is telling the truth and giving a voice to the voiceless. "Journalism is not a crime," notes Amnesty International, "yet the principles of free speech and a free press are threatened across the world."

Let us also remember that from its very beginning the CIA has cultivated journalists and their editors and publishers to be their errand boys and girls. This may not be the case with all of those listed as imprisoned by Amnesty International, however, honest and ethical journalists need to know and never forget that there are pretenders among their ranks and also among the ranks of ngo's whose staff are supposed to be helping the people in the country where they serve instead of undermining the government of that country.
See for instance:
https://nacla.org/news/usaids-silent-invasion-bolivia

The USA des not have to worry about throwing Journalists in Jail to the same degree as most are on the Governmnet payroll. They write what they are told to write.

Those that cross the line have to hide out in Embassies.

I was going to write the same comment myself but not specifically about the USA but vast swathes of the Western Mainstream Media in general. Such as the BBC. Or as I tend to refer to it, The Muppet Show.

Forty five years ago today I was thrown in jail with 15,000 of my fellow citizens for protesting the war in Vietnam. We were packed 15 to a one-man 8X5 cell for three days. We were barely fed and had no bathroom facilities. We had it easy compared to what they do to truth tellers these days. Plus there were too many of us to torture individually so they relied on group torture. Later, the Supreme Court ruled our arrest was illegal and our records (all on paper in those days) were turned over to the ACLU for destruction, although I'm sure they kept copies.

I was held in a small precinct station (8th pct.) comprised of eight one man cells into which were crammed over 150 people. Our cell's floor (cell # 3) and bunk space was only able to accommodate 13 (five on the bunk, five against the wall. two on the broken toilet and one underneath the bunk, all with our knees pulled up to our chins save for the lucky one beneath the bunk) but there were 15 so two people had to hang on the bars. We did this in shifts so no one carried the full burden. This meant we could not sleep for the entire three days save for brief periods before we all shifted positions (every ten minutes.) The bologna sandwiches we were fed twice a day (two each) were smashed flat to fit as many into the basket as possible and were about the thickness of a piece of cardboard. There was no water and we were taken to the water fountain only twice a day. Perhaps things were better in your cell. It was worth it to stop that fucking war.