Home | About | Donate

Ten Million Americans Could Bring H.R. 676 into Reality Land—Relief for Anxiety, Dread and Fear

Ten Million Americans Could Bring H.R. 676 into Reality Land—Relief for Anxiety, Dread and Fear

Ralph Nader

Polls show that over 125 million adults in our country already favor full Medicare for all, with free choice of doctor and hospital without stifling networks. I say ‘already’ because, as of yet, there is no major national campaign underway showing that an ‘everybody in, nobody out’ system of health insurance costs less, with better outcomes, is simpler, without maddeningly inscrutable or fraudulent bills, co-pays, deductibles and additional trap doors set by a bunch of greedy corporations.

A risk pool of over 300 million people is more than ample to provide optimal coverage from any realistic point of view. No profit motives are required to achieve some theoretical “market efficiency”–a misnomer by which capital is sucked away by the vampire squids in the “health” insurance industry and their banking conspirators. The altar of greed has no moral right to collect from those in need.

“Collect from those in need” ?

More like EXTORT “from those in need”.

Let’s give the Congress an offer they can’t refuse.

Support HR-676 or Die a Political Death.

so sick that the corporate democrats are still bad mouthing and blaming Sanders for spoiling HRC’s chances against the moron currently called the president.

but would any of these issues even be on the table, let alone at the forefront of the political debate had he not challenged HRC in the primaries.

That is the good thing about primaries, even if your favored candidate loses. It pushes people and issues that otherwise might not get pushed. It’s also why I think progressives should get more involved in their local Democratic Party, not less. That’s sellout me speaking though, of course.

What does this mean? Anyone?

1. by instituting a progressive excise tax on payroll and self-employment income,

The more you make, the more tax you pay.

From the article:

" I say ‘already’ because, as of yet, there is no major national campaign underway showing that an ‘everybody in, nobody out’ system of health insurance costs less, with better outcomes, is simpler, without maddeningly inscrutable or fraudulent bills, co-pays, deductibles and additional trap doors set by a bunch of greedy corporations."

Yes, but excise taxes are different from income tax.

thank you for your kind words. I (and i assume allot of other Bernie supporters) was under no illusion from the beginning that he would be robbed of the nomination.

but i supported him with donations anyway just to help him get the message out there.

in that respect it seems to have been a success.

That’s the thing: if you don’t participate you can’t win. I’ve said it a million times, parties change. In 1925, nobody in their right mind would’ve said the Democratic party is the party of civil rights. When pro-civil rights forces took over in succeeding years, through major fights, it changed. It is changing as we speak.

True. I see the dilemma. Excise tax=tax on purchases. Payroll tax=income tax. Hm.

Yeah, it doesn’t say how it would apply, there are excise taxes on all manner of things from gasoline to house purchases. The question is who pays them? And how would that be directed to health care. In CA the health bill is considering a cap and trade system. I don’t think it has to be so confusing.

Insurance 101; Where did insurance start?

Cargo boats traveling down rivers in early China stopped above difficult areas down river. Perhaps a bit o’ cargo champaign and bbq chicken sealed the deal. Cargoes split up. If everyone makes it to safe water load back to original boats, other wise, a portion of the sunk boat cargo made it through. That’s an early version of insurance.

The first thing to do is eliminate employer sponsored health care to bring everyone into the game. With everyone in the game no problem getting the votes. At present no one with good employer health care has skin in the game so they aren’t directly affected. Make everyone directly affected. Second thing to do is reduce the profit from the healthcare insurance industry. If Medicare can do 3% overhead, then the private insurance companies should be able to do better than 35%. Best of all, eliminate the profit from all healthcare from the insurance companies down to the doctors and hospitals. As a last resort, copy the countries who already have it figured out.

There aren’t 300 million people as long as there is employer sponsored healthcare.

It is time the medical Industrial complex is out of business. Insurance companies and drug companies want to continue business as usual.

healthcare-now.org ---- single payer explained and advocated for

What does this mean? Anyone?

by instituting a progressive excise tax on payroll and self-employment income,

Gobbledygook.
An excise or excise tax is any duty on manufactured goods which is levied at the moment of manufacture, rather than at sale. … Excises are typically imposed in addition to an indirect tax such as a sales tax or value-added tax (VAT).

So how is this being applied to payroll or self-employment. HR 676 eliminates employer contributions. Additionally, there are hidden excise taxes. In selling a house there is an excise tax that is paid by the seller, but, if they don’t pay it the person buying the house does. How is that funding designated for healthcare? Say in states that don’t make sufficient contributions etc.