Home | About | Donate

Ten Years After Not One High-Level Banker Sent to Jail for Tanking Global Economy, This Man Gets 20 Years in Prison for Stealing Cigarettes

Ten Years After Not One High-Level Banker Sent to Jail for Tanking Global Economy, This Man Gets 20 Years in Prison for Stealing Cigarettes

Jon Queally, staff writer

Ten years after the behavior of over-leveraged and fraudulent banks created a global financial disaster that resulted in hundreds of billions of dollars in losses; a multi-trillion bailout using public money; and millions of people losing their homes to forecl

7 Likes

Steal small they make you a criminal. Steal big they crown you emperor.

13 Likes

Rob the bank from the inside you win; rob the bank from the outside…you lose!

5 Likes

What if those banksters (and the pols who enabled them) would serve approximately 3.65 days in prison for each life they destroyed?

8 Likes

Police of the world, Yeah right! 3/4 of a trillion dollars to the offense department annually. For a decade and a half in country’s killing innocent people. Sadly complaining about those who question. Bullies!!!

3 Likes

That’s not enough.

1 Like

Just as Goebbels’ fascist playbook calls for telling BIG lies to be an effective propagandist, committing BIG crimes pays while petty crimes are what keep prison populations high, thereby keeping Wall Street’s prison industrial complex portfolios profitable.

New Deal regulations resulted in thousands of bankers being prosecuted for their crimes during the second half of the 20th century. They were prosecuted for what was commonly known as “white collar crime”.

By the dawn of the 21st century most New Deal regulations had been decriminalized so the concept of “white collar crime” disappeared and bankers are rewarded, not jailed, for what was considered fraud during the 20th century.

8 Likes

Hi unlikelysource
----hmmm if all the thieving bankers had to serve 3.6 days for each life they ruined… wow, what a great idea------they would never get out!

2 Likes

The only time rich criminals are prosecuted is when they steal from other rich people, such as Bernie Madoff. Stealing from the poor is normal and acceptable.

10 Likes

I do believe in the ideal of rehabilitation and parole, Gloriana, but what are the odds these sociopaths will ever develop a working conscience?

No worries. They’re at it again so next year when it crashes we can do what we should have done in 2006.
It won’t be pretty but it will end the cycle of theft.
Saudi Arabia cuts off a hand if you steal a coke.
Wonder what they cut off when you break the country.
I bet it’s above the shoulders. Just a guess.

3 Likes

First, the “habitual” criminal bullshit is just that and it’s a racist policy aimed at people just like this guy. Perhaps if we had a civilized system, this guy would never had the first offense and certainly not the second. But the system, once you’re in it, sets out to grind you into pulp and that seems to have happened to this guy. If you have someone with 14 felonies and 31 misdemeanors, you have to ask if the criminal justice system and it’s punitive approach is working at all. I’d say not, especially in this case. Perhaps we should have spent all that money giving this guy a future, instead of incarcerating him. It certainly would have been cheaper.

Steal $600 get twenty years. Steal $600 billion dollars, get a bonus! What a system!

15 Likes

In a just society the banksters would not be crowned Emperors but be in jail and the cigarette thief would not be a criminal because he would not need to be one.

12 Likes

Forty years ago the professor in my grad. school business law class signaled the end of each class by asking: "No matter what we discussed in class today, just remember that the first question you always need to ask is “HOW MUCH JUSTICE CAN YOU AFFORD”.

That advice has become more relevant with each passing year as Murka has descended deeper into fascism.

1 Like

Isn’t the better question, “How much injustice can you afford?”

5 Likes

Only, in the Divided States of the Duopoly can shit like this happen.

In the last election, 125 million people voted to support the continuation of this shit.

5 Likes

IMPORTANT: 14 Felonies can all stem from ONE single case. The prosecutors will ALWAYS separate a case into as many ‘charges’ as possible. I’d bet my life on the fact that this person’s 14 felonies are from no more than 2 or 3 incidents. Don’t be fooled.

5 Likes

Touché. Thx.

1 Like

Touché again. Excellent point! Made my day.

2 Likes

The trite and banal saying that crime doesn’t pay is wrong and the truth is: crime doesn’t pay if one is poor; but crime does pay if one is very wealthy.

1 Like