Home | About | Donate

Tens of Thousands Protest in Lebanon as 'You Stink' Campaign Issues Ultimatum

Tens of Thousands Protest in Lebanon as 'You Stink' Campaign Issues Ultimatum

Jon Queally, staff writer

Proving the 'You Stink' movement in Lebanon has staying power, tens of thousands of anti-government protesters took to the streets of Beirut on Saturday with forceful chants of 'revolution, revolution!' as they demanded the resignation of key ministers and delivered an ultimatum to leaders they hold responsible for a garbage crisis that has blossomed into a populist anti-corruption wave.

With the recent closure of the Naameh landfill, this seems to be a classic not-in-my-backyard problem for the various regions to resolve. I don't think that it is much more than indicative the dysfunctional state of the country. The people are right to fight for such resolution. If none is forthcoming, then throw the bums out, if you can. Good luck and stay upwind.

This is a volatile moment with civil war raging next door in Syria and all over the region for the people of Lebanon to remain alert for signs of trouble from ISIS, the CIA and MOSSAD.

I wholly agree, but was just pointing out that the landfill issue is a symptom and not a cause of what ails so many in what many maps show to be the plans for "Greater Israel."