Home | About | Donate

'Terrible News': US Supreme Court Rules for Indefinite Detention of Immigrants

'Terrible News': US Supreme Court Rules for Indefinite Detention of Immigrants

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

A Supreme Court ruling Tuesday stating undocumented immigrants with criminal records can be detained indefinitely by U.S. authorities at any time after an initial arrest—even years later—generated outrage and disappointment from advocacy groups around the country.

1 Like

I disagree because of the Kangaroo, Supreme Court, I would say we have lost the battle!

7 Likes

I want to take a large printed copy of the 5th Amendment and wave it at those five justices yelling over and over at them “PERSON not citizen. PERSON not citizen. PERSON not citizen.”

10 Likes

The value of stocks in the Prison Industrial Complex are going to skyrocket. The Supreme Corporate always rules to enhance corporate profit.

Peace
Po

16 Likes

I haven’t read the case or the decision but on the face of this report this decision is not based on Constitutional Law. Where does that leave us as a nation? Law making from the Bench not from Congress. This should be a heads up for anyone in descent.

3 Likes

"A law passed by Congress in 1996 allowed for the detention of undocumented immigrants after their sentence was served".

Wrong. a BILL was passed by Congress. It wasn’t a law until signed by Bill Clinton, or, to give him the benefit of the doubt, the Congress over-rode his veto.

3 Likes

And the fascists in power can do this indefinite detention how? Because it has a ‘legal’ basis in the Patriot Act and the NDAA, two pieces of legislation designed to dismantle/override the US Constitution. And it’s not only applicable to immigrants but to US citizens as well:

9 Likes

There is nothing conservative about rightwing politicians.

“Justice Samuel Alito …, joined by justices Brett Kavanaugh, Neil Gorsuch, John Roberts, and Clarence Thomas. The quintet are considered the court’s conservative block.”

3 Likes

It starts with immigrants. Who will be next? Environmentalists? Liberals? Democrats? Journalists? Trump would be happy to build more prisons.

10 Likes

I guess “activist judges” are only bad when their activism works for the 99%.

5 Likes

MAjor setback for America and the Human Race

2 Likes

The 1996 Bill was the the ‘get tough on undocumented immigrants’ legislation of its day. Rolled into an appropriations bill, it passed by huge margins:

4 Likes

Hopefully, this “indefinite” detention lasts at most a bit less than two years (if not much sooner) when Trump admin is gone, replaced by one that has some humanity and renders this heartless SCOTUS decision moot and civil liberties for everyone return.

0 Likes

Ah, the will to believe.

You know it was Obama who signed into law the right of the president to hold in indefinite detention anyone, US citizen or not, whom he determines on his own is a terrorist? Both Congressional Representatives of my town and both Senators of my state, all Democrats, signed this horrid violation of the Bill of Rights.

But, yeah, let’s pretend this is a problem because it’s Trump who is sitting in the Oval Office. ::rolls eyes::

WAKE UP!

13 Likes

Thanks for pointing out the wording!

But it looks like the only “persons” the Supreme Court recognizes are the rich and the corporations.

6 Likes

The Clintons started the DLC with money from the Koch Bros. This is when the Democratic Party Lost its soul and became the Republican Party Hedges refers to. The Party is running from FDR and becoming a useless appendage of the Reich

Chris Hedges - from Why Chris Hedges Thinks The American Empire Has Lost Control…

Let’s be clear. The Democratic Party under Bill Clinton transformed itself into the traditional Republican Party, and the Republican Party moved, was pushed, so far to the right it became insane.

6 Likes

Well Obama was a Republican too…

In an interview reported in the Hill, Obama admitted:

… back in the 1980s, I would be considered a moderate Republican," he told Noticias Univision 23 in a White House interview.

6 Likes

One of the greatest albums of all time. I just played it on a drive to mom’s last weekend. Loud as hell.

Not sure why I mentioned the loud part. That’s the only way to play it.

2 Likes

The Supreme Court at this point should just cut the middle man out at this point and rule that the U.S. is officially a police state.

2 Likes

Have Donut Day every third Monday.

0 Likes