Home | About | Donate

Texas Finalizes 'Callous' Rule on Burial or Cremation of Fetal Remains

Texas Finalizes 'Callous' Rule on Burial or Cremation of Fetal Remains

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

As of December 19, Texas healthcare providers will be required to bury or cremate embryonic and fetal tissue that results from abortions or miscarriages at their facilities.

Another ALEC "mission accomplished". Bet the wording of this bill is exactly the same as the one Pence and his pals in the Indiana legislature passed. So much for loving-kindness. So much for women being valued as much as men in any case: health, wages, benefits, etc. Not unlike dragging women down the town's main street in shackles with a RED letter painted on their backs...Texas and other states with the same disregard for women have turned the clock back to 17th century New England (depicted in The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne) and before in medieval Europe. And will the state pay for such funerals/burials/cremations? Another burden foisted on the backs of women and their families ill-prepared emotionally and financially to carry.

All men that have had a vasectomy should suffer the same shaming and damning...they have essentially "killed the unborn" in accordance with the reasoning of these mad men (and the women that support same).

Can you tell me where to find the actual wording? I'm especially interested to find out what is specified as "burial." I don't think body parts in general are disposed of in the trash landfills. It's biohazard material, after all.

I'm afraid your vasectomy analogy doesn't work, though, in large part because most men have to be pressured to get them. They think that's the shame, and if their women (I've known it to damage and even ruin marriages) don't want more children, they can just get their tubes tied (nevermind how much more invasive a procedure).

Here is link to the Indiana bill: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1337#digest-heading

And here is a link to an article containing links to the Texas legislation: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2016/11/14/lawmakers-pursue-three-abortion-related-bills-next-session

Steel yourself in advance to the horror contained within.

Thanks, S. Here's the link (3rd hand) to the actual Texas Register publication in July: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/texreg/pdf/backview/0701/0701prop.pdf The proposed rule changes for this rule start on p.4772, about halfway through. It does appear that the 'bury or cremate" rules apply to all "pathological tissues," but I don't care to find out whether that includes traumatically amputated limbs or, say, prophylactically removed, healthy appendices. And apparently the definition of "bury" hasn't changed (and I have read only the changes to definitions), but because of adding definitions for "Executive Commissioner" and "Fetal Tissue," the definition of "Grave" had to be renumbered, so we find it is and was "Grave--A space of ground in a burial park that is used, or intended to be used for the permanent interment in the ground of pathological waste." Does that mean Texans consider whole, even embalmed bodies to be pathological waste? It's also interesting that "Fetal Tissue" explicitly does not include placental or umbilical tissues, the amniotic sac, or blood or fluids. Thank goodness they did, as noted above, remove the need for women who suffer spontaneous abortion to gather up the "products of conception" and get them to a burial park. Sigh.

(Exactly Seatower, good post) ... and before in medieval Europe... Chastity belts in Texas, and in other states?