Home | About | Donate

Texas State Legislature Makes Protesting Pipelines a Felony on Par With Attempted Murder

Texas State Legislature Makes Protesting Pipelines a Felony on Par With Attempted Murder

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

A bill making its way through the Texas legislature would make protesting pipelines a third-degree felony, the same as attempted murder.

"It's an anti-protest bill, favoring the fossil fuel industry, favoring corporations over people." — Frankie Orona, executive director of the Society of Native Nations

3 Likes

No reason not to try and murder the people responsible for the pipelines then. After all, the punishment is the same.

8 Likes

Can we call it fascism yet?

13 Likes

the $$ backers . .they would scare the easiest
. .

4 Likes

Just another reason why you couldn’t pay me to live in Tex-ass. This is a disgrace. So, the First Amendment in the form of protest means nothing to these regressive energy industry wh*res. Of course, they would defend to the death (including ours) the Second Amendment because the motto of this country from these regressive idiots is -
“God, guns and guts”.
Next, we’ll be hearing about Ted Nugent running for and winning the governor’s office.
After all, these are the knuckle draggers who re-elected a slimy, POS named Ted Cruz.

11 Likes

A message for Texas: Secede already! The only reason you don’t slip into the ocean is because Oklahoma sucks.

13 Likes

Let’s add “fetuses” to that. They weep for fetuses but plan to leave a hell for those children and all of Life.

14 Likes

What I fear is those who do interfere with or “damage” equipment being thrown under the bus by “peaceful protest” groups as a “pragmatic” compromise.

It’d be yet another example of “déjà vu all over again”

And again … and again … and again …

4 Likes

Appears as though we have a bunch of GOP states that want to secede or are in the process of such. I wont be beholden to the minority in anyway and I will not abide their rule. This time they can be left seceded. When the next Dem govt takes over in 2021 all federal aid can be cut to them.

Hi Top_Dog, yes, but maybe the people of Texas are really seceding from the first Amendment, because prior oil protests in America did show the, " right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." Unfortunately peaceable protestors were attacked by “security.” We seem to have a lot of violent government “peace officer,” don’t we. : (

5 Likes

AussieDawg, Have you read this shit that they’re doing down there in your great state of Texas?

Indeed, every baby is a “gift from God” until the mother could use some assistance from social programs like they have in civilized countries. However, at this point these sanctimonious Buybull thumpers are nowhere in sight. “All life is sacred” doesn’t
mean much in Texas prisons where I believe they still have one of the nation’s highest execution rates.
I have met or have learned of many people in this country who call themselves “Christians” (80% of Uh-meriKKKans do). They are some of the biggest regressive hypocrites I know of.

11 Likes

To Republicans, corporations deserve the status of human much more than do you and I, especially if we are poor or leftist.

So, of course, interfering with profits IS attempted murder, at the very least.

2 Likes

Lol… great minds… as I read the article, I was thinking what the opposite of secession might be, as in wethepeople evict them… there are some good people in certain pockets of Texas, but the rest sure give Alabama, Ohio, Georgia, Missouri, et al. a good run for their fascist money. You can start with the Texas government and work your way down to evict them…

1 Like

Yeah Pony II have. You know, years ago this used to be a democratic state where the working man (farmers, ranchers, oil patch, etc.) ruled politically in the state and we did have some great progressive minds. Remember Gov. Ann Richards, Ag. Commissioner Jim Hightower, Columnist Molly Ivan’s, pplitical cartoonist Ben Sargeant, etc. Then oil skyrocketed in price and that attracted parasites like the Bu$h family from the republican northeast. Texas has always been the buckle of the Bible Belt and the little cancer of Dallas, a very hardcore “Christian” city full of people loaded with oil money metastatized and infected most of the state. Now look where we are. A complete and total mess. It’s still my home state and I do have pride in what the state used to represent…friendly, helpful people who would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. Unfortunately it has changed and not for the better by any means. It’s almost the exact opposite of what it used to be. Because of that unfortunate change I’ll be relocating to Washington State or Colorado as soon as I can financially pull it off

11 Likes

Wait, isn’t continuing to trash the atmosphere and life on Earth with fossil fuels on par with attempted murder?? :thinking:

9 Likes

I mourn for what has happened to Texas. But I also mourn for what has happened in Ohio and Pennsylvania and the rest. It is the stupid that has metastasized.

2 Likes

This song came to my mind:

Yes Blockertoo you’re right. Mad Human Disease has become epidemic. The symptoms are unmistakable. A marked turn toward rabid, irrational “conservatism”. This is often manifested as a profound
attraction to fascist orange politicians who lie pathologically and exhibit extreme narcissism although as human beings they are usually quite unremarkable. Other symptoms include extreme greed and selfishness, severe rascism and xenophobia and most apparently, profound stupidity. These types tend to think they have answers to all of societies problems when in fact they are the problem.

8 Likes

Pipelines in Texas is a dream come true, for surfers in Texas. With commercial real estate underwater, the coast is clear. If everybody had an ocean
Across the U. S. A.
Then everybody’d be surfin’
Like Californi-a
You’d seem ‘em wearing their baggies
Huarachi sandals too
A bushy bushy blonde hairdo
Surfin’ U. S. A.

2 Likes