Home | About | Donate

Texas Supreme Court Upholds 'Shameful, Naked Voter Suppression' With Ruling Allowing State to Limit Counties to One Ballot Drop Box

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/28/texas-supreme-court-upholds-shameful-naked-voter-suppression-ruling-allowing-state

2 Likes

In Texas, where counties are so big that it can take you forever to drive somewhere, the GOP knows that having only one dropbox location suppresses the Democratic vote.
Coupled with Trump/GOP national effort to sabotage voting, we see how they’re trying to win illegally.
The GOP Texas governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, judges and others are corrupt jerks.

9 Likes

I hope they’re keeping that one ballot box on the back of a moving flat-bed truck. (ba-dum-dump)

YEEHAW!

1 Like

Welcome to Putin’s America!

3 Likes

Trump screaming, “Rigged election!”, may stand as the one and only time he has been, or ever will be, truthful.

4 Likes

Fuck the Texass republicans they are all ideological fools, no more text books published in Texas.

2 Likes

More state repression of POC.

“Oh, you darkies are gonna vote for the libs, since they don’t encourage police/proud boys to hunt you down, are you? Then no vote for you!”

Only white Americans can save this country and by extension life on earth. Man the phuck up and beat your Fascist brethren back into their rabbithole, white Americans. These are your people: get em in check.

2 Likes

If county election officials aren’t emptying those boxes every two or three hours, the term “ballot box stuffing” will take on a whole new meaning.

3 Likes

I remember the Supreme Court arguing that the Voting Rights Act was outdated. Criminals, the right only tolerates democracy as long as they can win.

4 Likes

Not a surprise. By and large, red state legislators are insecure white snowflakes that can’t tolerate majority rule as that will force them out of power- poor f’ing babies.

Rethuglicons are like dogs. They just keep lifting their leg and peeing on everyone.

2 Likes

Texas, I was born unto you, but you have been ravaged by scoundrels. As a “white” (I really look more pink if you ask me) man who loves old (non racist) country & western music, BBQ, cacti, horses, live oak trees, etc. all I can say is straighten out your politics to include everyone. You enjoy food that comes from around the Planet. Now who brings that to you? Love everyone and stop listening to the fools who suggest otherwise.

4 Likes

The arms of coup keep closing. Give it another week or so to envelope us.

2 Likes

I do look forward to the day where partisan sites like this one acknowledge with a similar level of faux-outrage that their “team” does the same thing to other political actors. Dems are master vote suppressors when it comes to third parties and, their favorite stalking horse in the vote suppression game show, the Green Party, who have lost millions of votes over the years to Democratic party tampering and shenanigans.

Sorry, CD, but there’s no way I’m feeling sorry for the poor Democrats on this score. Perhaps they should spend more time suppressing Republican voters than they do crushing every American with a remotely leftist impulse who would love to have their votes matter, too.

At least the GOP left them a box. Usually the Dems only leave us with a fat legal bill.

3 Likes

“Love everyone and stop listening to the fools who suggest otherwise.”

In the name of Guy Clark, Jerry Jeff Walker, Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Nancy Griffith, the (no-longer called Dixie,) Chicks and Townes Van Zandt. Amen

1 Like

What, no ZZ Top?

1 Like

Every city, town and country have a registrars office at which one can take one’s ballot. We can and must vote in spite of the obstacles and remember the politicians who set them in our path. Progressives should engage in assisting voters as well as to keep people from putting them in the mail.

Putin schmootin. We could teach Russians about voter disenfranchisement, as well as cultivated division.

4 Likes

The U.S. already has

~https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2017/06/14/yelt-j14.html

2 Likes

That was pretty much a list of my favs that I saw when I lived there, but yes, let’s add them and Steve Earle too.

1 Like

I lived in Texas in the 90s and voted for democrat Ann Richards for governor. Unfortunately, GW Bush won and then later went on to run for president. It was a close race and I often wonder if that gubernatorial race was the tipping point for the conservative takeover of our country.

1 Like