Home | About | Donate

Thanks Amazon, But We Don't Need Your Solidarité

Thanks Amazon, But We Don't Need Your Solidarité

Jessica Reed

It all happened so fast.

Having been slathered with Bernays' sauce for a century now, the majority of people believe the genuine to be what they are taught it to be via advertising. So much effort goes into shaping the minds of the masses that the individual who eschews this subtle brutality is wrapped in a self doubt seeing that they do not belong. "To thine own self be true," penned Shakespeare, and rightly so.

Thank you Ms. Reed for helping me more readily see the disingenuous subliminal messaging that pervades (and invades) my sphere. Viva No Logo!

This is what run amok capitalism is all about. To express your grief go shopping, like George W. told the people after 9/11.

Companies displaying signs that they stand with Paris means nothing other than advertisement for their stuff. By the way did all those companies put out signs saying: "We stand with doctors without borders" in Afghanistan against the US bombing that hospital?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Interesting read, Ms. Reed.

Thank you for connecting these dots that might have otherwise gone without notice. This is a very savvy and important assessment:

"Companies are now posing as entities capable of compassion, never mind that they cannot possibly speak for all of its employees. This also brings us a step closer to endowing them with a human trait: the capacity to express emotions. They think they’re sentient.

Meanwhile... "the US, the debate about corporate personhood is ongoing. The supreme court already ruled that corporations are indeed people in some contexts: they have been granted the right to spend money on political issues, for example, as well as the right to refuse to cover birth control in their employee health plans on religious grounds."

Well-argued!

Beyond first amendment rights, the Supreme Court has also delivered 4th, 5th, and 14th amendment rights to corporations. Corporations have been using the Supreme Court to rewrite the Constitution since 1886 when the Court did not decide, but affirmed, that corporations are people under the 14th amendment deserving of equal protection under the law. But there's a bill before Congress now called the We the People Amendment (House Joint Resolution 48 introduced April 29, 2015):

Section 1. [Artificial Entities Such as Corporations Do Not Have Constitutional Rights]

The rights protected by the Constitution of the United States are the rights of natural persons only.

Artificial entities established by the laws of any State, the United States, or any foreign state shall have no rights under this Constitution and are subject to regulation by the People, through Federal, State, or local law.

The privileges of artificial entities shall be determined by the People, through Federal, State, or local law, and shall not be construed to be inherent or inalienable.

Section 2. [Money is Not Free Speech]

Federal, State, and local government shall regulate, limit, or prohibit contributions and expenditures, including a candidate's own contributions and expenditures, to ensure that all citizens, regardless of their economic status, have access to the political process, and that no person gains, as a result of their money, substantially more access or ability to influence in any way the election of any candidate for public office or any ballot measure.

Federal, State, and local government shall require that any permissible contributions and expenditures be publicly disclosed.

The judiciary shall not construe the spending of money to influence elections to be speech under the First Amendment.

Sign the petition.

I too have never bought another product from Amazon since the day they kicked Wikileaks off their servers. I can't imagine what would make me change my mind except perhaps their corporate soul crying out for redemption from the burning fires of hell and according to the article, if they thought that would boost sales, they'd try to convince us of just that.

i wish that the courage to stand up to corporate arrogance were far more widespread. i super appreciate reading this public salvo against it by Jessica Reed and The Guardian. i wish it were FAR more common for people to experience, and publicly express, visceral revulsion at the endless corporate propaganda assault on OUR personhood, on our consciousness, on our humanity.

It is truly a great tragedy that the rampant hubris of corporate profiteers and looters has metastasized as deeply as it has into the corpus of human society, into our culture, into the sensory and experiential fabric of human consciousness.

Public Relations; Advertising; Marketing; Human Resources Management; Lobbying; these and other professions are diseases of humanity. They intentionally inculcate elements of sociopathy and psychopathy as fundamentals in the "professional development" of their practitioners.

Key to the grand tragedy is that real humans are susceptible to such crass, purposeful manipulation of our emotions and our thinking. Woven so deeply into culture, society, consciousness, and the economy, these diseases will not be healed without massive disruption to "business as usual." But who has the awareness, capacity, and courage to organize and fight for actual humanity, against this pervasive fake humanity that has grown to rule the political economy?

To the degree that you are able: DO NOT BUY THEIR CRAP. Their psychological crap (do not let them define who you are and what you are); and their material crap (do not buy their products in the marketplace).

And let yourself feel and express visceral revulsion at their tactics and their propaganda. We need to be building a resistance movement.

Doesn't look so bad for employees the way presented there. http://www.democracynow.org/2013/8/7/i_was_a_warehouse_wage_slave

It is not only that corporations use grief as advertising (profiteering) and pretend to have human emotional responses to tragedy. That personalization conceit of theirs is very distasteful indeed.

However this trend to 'personalization' of their court appointed personhood is only just the beginning.

Expect to see corporate political views being made obvious much more frequently. The Acme corporation is against using the moon's green cheese in fondues!

The Soylent Green corporation supports a multi viewpoint consideration of the ways to solve the medicare crisis.

Expect corporations to speak as if they were a single person in other words.

Whose views would be spoken btw? The board's? The shareholders (as decided by a vote or by representation)? The customers? Certainly not the workers right? Who speaks when a corporate person talks?

The Kookookajou Corporation announces that all of its employees who will continue to work here have voluntarily agreed to vote for Winnie the Poo.

So true! Even worse, they get major clinical depression too.

And what a stunning turnaround for US attitudes toward France! Has everyone in the USA already forgotten the "freedom fries" and "freedom toast" and "cheese-eating surrender monkeys"?

Your pain is our gain

"DO NOT BUY THEIR CRAP." Exactly right. Most companies costs are fixed and thus if 10 to 20% of us did not buy their crap, they would collapse and beg to reverse all the corrupt legislation that has been passed in their favor.

MSNBC with round the clock- terror in France coverage, oil and the markets spike,everyone needs to go shopping-the blood drenched capitalists are delirious.

And yet members of our women's group, all employees at a big corporation, decided off our own bat to contribute a corporate panel to the AIDS Quilt project to memorialise our co-workers who'd been lost, and spent a couple of weeks colonising one of the conference rooms ("Why are there sewing machines in there?"), cutting and stitching.

It's not always calculated and self-serving.

I don't know why people shop on Amazon. I look things up on Amazon to get an idea on pricing-then, I go out and find it cheaper somewhere else. It' surprisingly easy to do. I'm not much of a consumer, and only buy things I actually need. Yet Amazon's advertising will follow you around-hoping. Best thing was the row of dancing motorcycle tires-a rubber chorus line from Fantasia-which appeared every day on my screen for a month after I priced a certain tire which I bought elsewhere. The idea that a mega- company run by a tyrannical jerk could give a flying fuck about what happened in Paris last weekend, is a very bad joke.