Home | About | Donate

Thanks, Trump. Doomsday Clock Now Two and a Half Minutes to Midnight

Thanks, Trump. Doomsday Clock Now Two and a Half Minutes to Midnight.

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

The symbolic Doomsday Clock inched closer to midnight on Thursday, and we have President Donald Trump largely to thank for the ominous development.

At the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. on Thursday morning, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists' Science and Security Board moved the hands of the iconic clock 30 seconds closer to "midnight," or the end of the world.

Senior management at the State Dept. is gone now. They quit. That should help foreign relations, right? The loss of institutional memory is pretty profound.

It's only been a week, folks. It's only been one week.

What should just scare the hell out of most of us, is we now have a man that belongs in an insane asylum with his finger on the nuclear trigger!

A man who asked three times in a one hour meeting why we can't use nuclear weapons.

Geez. I wish we could have remained sleepwalking with Obama or Clinton. I'm saying a loud "No Way! Not Listening!" to the reality of this nation and it's two fascist parties.

" Why can't we use nuclear weapons".

Only someone that is insane would ask such a question. What a nightmare! We all need to accentuate a positive resistance and organize a broad coalition of millions of people in order to put a stop to this before it goes any further.

My dream would be if millions of us could get congress to declare Trump not mentally competent and have him marched out of the Oval Office in a straight jacket!

That Trump apologetics is pretty clucking stale at this point.

Their press conference is brilliant. Why aren't smart, informed people like that leaders here? Something is upside down. "Everything is Broken."

As I've often said, we are witnessing a train wreck in real time, not slow motion. This won't end well if we allow this CLOWN to continue governing. Mobilize!

Then stop doing it. It seems compulsive at this point.

Thanks Mrs Fulton, you helped to enable him by vilifying Clinton. I am sure no one would argue the clock would have stayed under HRC.

Somehow this makes a lot of sense in a Twilight Zone sort of way. I didn't know the could use 30 second intervals with the "clock" but as we slide more rapidly to oblivion I can see nothing that gives me much hope for much of a future as things stand now. The youth of today have to get a real movement going that has some teeth to stop the madness permeating the 'establishment'. I'm now too old to do much but something akin to the 'Nam protests of the 60's, of which I did participate in, would at least shake some of the people out of their brainwashed sleep they live in. Things are just going to get worse, more rapidly now, and time's running out real fast to do anything to save the Earth ravaged by unbridled capitalism. I feel sorry for today's youth and am glad I have no children but there can be change if done effectively and the time is now. Good luck!

"Last year, the Science and Security Board moved the Doomsday Clock forward to three minutes to midnight, noting: 'The probability of global catastrophe is very high, and the actions needed to reduce the risks of disaster must be taken very soon.' That probability has not been reduced. The Clock ticks. Global danger looms. Wise leaders should act—immediately."

"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats to the continued existence of humanity, and world leaders have failed to act with the speed or on the scale required to protect citizens from potential catastrophe. These failures of political leadership endanger every person on Earth." Despite some modestly positive developments in the climate change arena, current efforts are entirely insufficient to prevent a catastrophic warming of Earth. Meanwhile, the United States and Russia have embarked on massive programs to modernize their nuclear triads-thereby undermining existing nuclear weapons treaties. "The clock ticks now at just three minutes to midnight because international leaders are failing to perform their most important duty—ensuring and preserving the health and vitality of human civilization."

Things could get dicey if Trumps keeps confronting China. I am sure China will not back down and Trump never backs down. What happens if China invades Taiwan if Trump refuses to go along with the one China policy. Will Trump intervene? There are some pretty scary scenarios to think about as Trump will probably create a conflict abroad to either divert attention from his attempt to dismantle democracy in the US or create conditions for declaring a state of emergency to take total control.

Eh, Hillary woulda been the same . . .

Normalcy is so overrated.

Better stop reading those Green Party people posts or you might start believing the Hillary nonsense yourself.

1. That was an evasion. I said that both parties were essentially fascist and you said that made me a Trump supporter. That is an irrational interpretation of what I said.

2. The Doomsday Clock was ticking under Obama too. Why didn't he get serious about it?

3. Although Trump is a disaster, he will succeed at one thing--laying bare the insanity and corruption behind our government and both parties in general. Respectfully, it's probably the only way people like you have a chance of waking up--and to restore democracy and hold all of them to account. But the jury is still out on that apparently. I'm rooting for you because your underlying motives are probably good.

Yes, because Hillary never gave into the military industrial corporate powers, never dismissed climate change and always stood up for peace. Trump is the just face laid bare. This is what was going on behind closed doors. Now it's out in the open for all to see.

we were doomed both ways. Hillary looked just as evil.Not as crazy but she looks evil..I do not think either one of them were safe for us.

... I remember on January 23, 2009 -just three days after Obama's inauguration- he sent out his first drone sortie. I don't know about you folks, but that was quite the reality check for me. Nine months later -and after a few more drone strikes- he got the Nobel Peace prize. Hang in there people. Before long, the Donald will be getting his Peace Prize too -and all will be right with the world once again...