Home | About | Donate

Thawing Permafrost Emitting Higher Levels of Potent Greenhouse Gas Than Previously Thought: Study

Thawing Permafrost Emitting Higher Levels of Potent Greenhouse Gas Than Previously Thought: Study

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

As the Arctic enters an "unprecedented" state of warming, a new study shows that emissions of a potent greenhouse gas from thawing permafrost in the planet's northernmost region may be 12 times higher than previously thought.

3 Likes

‘Levels higher than previously thought’ may just well be the epitaph of our civilization.

16 Likes

OK lets party like there is no tomorrow. Yea Haw “we’re all gonna Die”

2 Likes

Beat me to it.

1 Like

As an Alaskan resident, I could not agree more! I have witnessed this firsthand for many years.

12 Likes

Here is the big problem. . we knew this 20 years ago.

10 Likes

and I think the Fossil fuel CEO’s knew it before that.

11 Likes

Yes and according to some reports, Exxon and the fossil fuel industries have been covering this up clear back to the 1970’s.

10 Likes

So now, all those scientists who absurdly but firmly asserted that “We have 12 years to turn this around” will publish a new letter saying “Oops, sorry, too late!”

Right?

6 Likes

And the great irony of this finding is that it is no laughing matter.

9 Likes

The old adage of ‘You don’t fool with Mother Nature’ was ignored and now we’re finding out she can bite back and has some mighty sharp teeth.

2 Likes

There were many who sounded the alarms years and even decades ago but were dismissed, silenced or as pointed out in the comments above complicit in the cover up of the catastrophic damage from burning fossil fuels.

Remember when Jason Box tried to speak the truth?

And Natalia Shakhova? I could go on . . . .

In the meantime: main stream media headlines are now filled with articles, videos etc. about the fire at the 800 year old human created monument to (??)— Notre Dame cathedral. Millions of dollars are pouring in to rebuild it.

Will the crown of thorns, a piece of the true cross and a nail from the crucifixion keep this planet habitable?

At the same time, unbeknownst to most, the 2.7 million year old arctic ice is metaphorically in flames due to humans.

The destruction of the arctic due to humans should be headline news every day.

The beauty, fragility and wonders of the arctic ecosystem are collapsing right now.

How ironic that while thousands of people are singing/praying/crying over the fire at Notre Dame and media outlets are filling the internet, tv, radio with fire coverage of this human created edifice . . . . . one of the most beautiful and essential (for diverse, stable life forms) creations of all— the arctic----is melting. The human induced destruction of the arctic may eventually end most—if not all— life on this planet and for the most part, there is deafening silence.

The latest co2 numbers:

(as of April 14, 2019)

414.84 ppm on March 18, 2019 (NOAA-ESRL)
414.79 ppm on March 18, 2019 (Scripps)
414.46 ppm on April 14, 2019 (NOAA-ESRL)

414.27 ppm on February 9, 2019 (NOAA-ESRL)
414.12 ppm on February 28 2019 (NOAA-ESRL)
414.10 ppm on April 13, 2019 (NOAA-ESRL)

13 Likes

i see what you did…

2 Likes

James Hansen was with NASA in a nearby city when he begin predicting, decades ago, extreme climate change was on the way. Dan Satterfield, a highly resected meteorologist with a local TV station, begin mentioning climate change in the same time period.

Dan was shot out of the saddle in a blink by the neocon owners of the TV station and replaced by a ‘weather girl’.

Point is: When you are dealing with morons and sheep at the same time, it has to be spoon fed.

1 Like

The foul Gas is coming from Trumps’ orafices, which could easily be stopped with Duct Tape. Extinction Event Over!

1 Like

No. Scientists have warned us of this very thing 3 decades ago. Guessing you were not there at that time?

Make that 30 years…

2 Likes

i get it, but i differ in my assessment. We need truth.

Not getting shot down, because i compromise the message, just compromises the message.

i get it! Marginalization also does not “succeed.” But i’ll keep putting my money on truth, even as powerful interests marginalize me.

1 Like

No, i learned about this in elementary school, fifty years ago, from the “Dr. Research” film from Bell Labs, “Unchained Goddess.” Also i read Barry Commoner’s book “The Closing Circle” in 1971, with a chapter on climate change and atmospheric carbon. i decided when i was 12 years old, that i would never drive a car.

My point is that it was absurd for scientists in their open letter to claim to know the time-line of 12 years to address the problem before catastrophe was locked in. That’s not “science” that’s public relations.

i’ve been asserting for many years that catastrophe is locked in. We still need to take every possible step to get right with the ecology and the climate.

Here’s the clip from Unchained Goddess, produced for Bell Labs in 1958 by the great director Frank Capra:

Dr. Frank C. Baxter : “Because with our present knowledge we have no idea what would happen. Even now, man may be unwittingly changing the world’s climate through the waste products of his civilization. Due to our release through factories and automobiles every year of more than six billion tons of carbon dioxide, which helps air absorb heat from the sun, our atmosphere seems to be getting warmer."

Richard Carlson : “This is bad?”

Dr. Frank C. Baxter : “Well, it’s been calculated a few degrees rise in the Earth’s temperature would melt the polar ice caps. And if this happens, an inland sea would fill a good portion of the Mississippi valley. Tourists in glass bottom boats would be viewing the drowned towers of Miami through 150 feet of tropical water. For in weather, we’re not only dealing with forces of a far greater variety than even the atomic physicist encounters, but with life itself.”

5 Likes