Home | About | Donate

The 1970 Women’s Strike: A Bit of History

The 1970 Women’s Strike: A Bit of History

Lynn Sherr

Time was, you didn’t need a strike to create “A Day Without a Woman.” That’s just how things were. If you walked into any voting booth on Election Day, or watched any Supreme Court hearing, or tuned in at dinnertime to any television newscast, or found yourself on a rocket ship headed for the Moon, that’s what you’d see: no women, nowhere. Not in the United States, not in most of the world.

Make it clear what it’s like when women exclude themselves.

Must admit I was surprised by my own revulsion elicited by the reference to Hillary Clinton - and OF COURSE that the Womens' March must ...MUST absatively posolutely be a PR OPPORTUNITY to be handed an "award". I want to vomit. This woman and her clique never fail to amaze. Tone deaf, blind as bats, greedy as thieves and apparently working on genetically eliminating any brain and shame from their bloodlines

Wheeha!! Think it possible to undermine and suck power from the Womens March because the career building corporate backing of outfits benefiting from the blood and lives of those marginalized by the very same system?

Think people might be waking up, Hillary Clinton ????????

Creep.

She is not even worth referencing - think about all of the truly great women and men also who have supported women all along. Think about women like: Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Maya Angelou the women suffragettes- heck women everywhere who are who are leading their lives and helping others. Not one more word about this piece of sh-t who is not worth even referencing in the same paragraph as women in general.

When I was becoming a young man in the Bronx in the fifty's and my worldview was beginning to develop concepts of mutual respect and social economy and equality, my mother did volunteer work at Montefiore Hospital. Occasionally, before I left home for the real world, I would pass her either when coming or going through our apartment and ask her, who I loved, "Mom, why do you do this attending to children and patients at the hospital? How do you think those well educated, wealthy doctors walking past you in the corridors look on you, if they see you at all? They probably look down on you either consciously or indifferently?" She insisted they didn't.

I have two beautiful, fortunate, well educated, and generous daughters. They also do some volunteer work, but don't take shit from anyone. They insist on being seen and treated as equals. The US has become a hell hole of inequality, poverty, and greed. The women, however, have been and are always the best to me.

My supervisor started a Lactation Educator training program to train health care providers particularly WIC Nutritionists throughout our state in basic skills and knowledge to help breastfeeding mothers. It was one of the first such programs in the country. People come in from out of state to attend the training program because it is so well regarded. Part of the training is to come into our clinic and see first hand how we do what we do. Last year, our county's health dept celebrated its 100th Anniversary. I was asked to write up a history for our clinic. When I did so, I made sure to mention her accomplishments in starting up the Lactation Educator training program.

No, none of us went out and marched (surprised?). We have breastfeeding moms coming into our clinic for breastfeeding help and they need us to be here. Thank you to those who did get out and give a shout!

Durn Common Dreams posting thingy rules are giving me a hard time...