Home | About | Donate

The 7 Biggest Failures of Trumponomics

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/11/7-biggest-failures-trumponomics

This focus on trump by well meaning people is putting a damper on my sexual abilities.

1 Like

Damn, what a relief, the White House toady is keeping globalization on track despite 99% of human beings seeing it for the garbage dumping procedure that it is. Nothing like an orange straw tin man blowing wind out his wazoo eight ways from Sunday to distract from the dirty business of oiligarchy.

Public Banking
Continue to build on the Co-Op models
Paper ballot voting
Local Organic Farming
Consider running for local government

4 Likes

I swear, if President Trump personally discovered a cure for cancer, REgressives would bitch about how that would put doctors out of business. And no doubt the crazed NHS lover, Joan, would complain about something or other.

Facts are tough, especially for old Bob and his having to almost single handily defend Obama’s 8 years of disastrous economic policies by demeaning what President Trump has accomplished.

Here are the facts Bob

1. Latino Unemployment Hits Record Low
    What that means is that the unemployment rate for Latinos is the lowest … ever … in the 45-year history of government tracking.

What that means is the Latino unemployment rate is a measly 4.7 percent.

1. Black Unemployment Rate Hits 17-Year Low

At 7.3 percent, the black unemployment rate still needs to improve, but not since hitting 7 percent in 2000 have things looked this good, most especially after nearly two decades of double-digit unemployment.

I see in the latest polling that Trump is gaining on already good favorability numbers with blacks. It’s exactly why REgressives like Pelosi will not do a thing to stop the flood of illegals-they see more and more black folk getting “woke”

1. Real Economic Growth

After a high growth rate of 3.3 percent in the third quarter of 2017 (and that is with two devastating hurricanes), projections for the fourth quarter have edged into the magic number of 4 percent. While we didn’t make it to 4% in 2017 and in 2018, GDP was a hair under 3%(2.9%), we are on track to easily surpass 3% in 2019 as President Trump policies gain.

Don’t forget Obama and his cronies like Goosbee told us over and over that the anemic 1% GDP that they were responsible for was the new norm.

1. Soaring Economic Optimism

Optimism in the American economy breeds investor confidence and consumer spending, which, in turn, drives all the creation and manufacturing and shipping of products needed to fill those needs, which, in turn, gives us Boom Times. For the first time in more than a decade, a majority of Americans see our economy as “good or excellent.” A near record of 41 percent believe 2018 will see an even better economy and their home values rise; 42 percent believe their wages will increase.

Perception is reality. Again compare that to the dismal outlook the vast majority of Americans had when Obama was destroying our economy.

1. Booming Stock Market

With millions of working and middle-class Americans invested in the stock market through various retirement accounts, every announcement of a new record rings like a cash register ringing in their hardworking ears.

While pushing long overdue corporate (and income) taxes through Congress, using whatever authority he can to unilaterally cut red tape, and the power of the bully pulpit to sell America and the American worker to the world, Trump’s tide is lifting all boats in ways the “experts” warned us was not possible.

Yes the market goes up & down and yes corporations shouldn’t buy back so much of their stock so that board members increase the value of what they hold but it’s a free country and these corporations can do WeverTF they want. Don’t like it, don’t invest in that company. You want to find companies to invest in that don’t do this, let me know, I can tell you how.

1. Unemployment Rate Hits 19-Year Low

America now enjoys an unemployment rate of just 3.6%, the lowest since 2000.

There are now several million more jobs than people out of work. Simply put, if you want to work, you can.

1. Manufacturing Jobs Boom. Look Bob, you’re desperately trying to forget Obama and his economic declaration that manufacturing jobs are gone and aren’t coming back. The internet is forever Bob.

In the final year of the Obama presidency, America lost a net of 16,000 manufacturing jobs. While still president and speaking of Trump, this is how President Obama responded:

“When somebody says like the person you just mentioned who I’m not going to advertise for, that he’s going to bring all these jobs back. Well how exactly are you going to do that? What are you going to do? There’s uh-uh no answer to it. He just says. “I’m going to negotiate a better deal.” Well, how? How exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you have? And usually the answer is, he doesn’t have an answer.”

Lordie, I don’t know about you but not having to listen to that liar every day is almost the biggest blessing of Trump’s tenure.

In 2017, a full 171,000 manufacturing jobs have been created. Moreover, the manufacturing unemployment rate is just 2.6 percent, the lowest ever recorded.

In 2018 284,000!! manufacturing jobs were created and we’re on track in 2019 to easily surpass that!

So Bob. you can spin your BS seven ways from Sunday but anyone with 2cents worth of brain cells sees the vast difference President Trump has made.

If the vomit that REgressive fake news spewed out was interspaced with just a little sprinkling of truth, Trump’s already better than Obamas’ at this same point numbers would be even higher.

IOW, there was no Russian collusion, Trump’s taxes will never be released, John Brennan et.al. are shitting bricks and Stacy Adams lost despite massive voter fraud in GA.

Just as they have for the past several decades, GOP voters take pride in seeing their current regime get away with more egregious lies than previous GOP regimes.

The GOP has been more cult than party ever since Saint Ron ascended the throne in 1981.

About 40% think of them as accomplishments, not failures.

Sounds pretty rosy if you don’t consider how much the new black and Latino jobs are paying. Are they G.W. Bush new job wages that don’t let anyone move beyond poverty level?

For some reason you forget to mention all of the recent disappearing manufacturing jobs. Companies are closing their doors, and many downsizing by cutting their workforce. This is still a hit and miss jobs market.
Trump, our man of 10,000 lies, and rising every single day. You are a fool if you believe a word he says.

1 Like

Let’s take a situation I am well versed on, employment in the energy sector here in the Permian Basin. Starting wages for an inexperienced roustabout is about $12-15/hour. Because of President Trump’s relaxation of regulations and tax incentives, we are currently the world’s leader in the production of fossil fuel energy.

One oilfield worker that used to frequent the gym here in Lamesa used his oil field experience to learn how to operate cranes. The last time we worked out, he told me he was moving to Corpus Christi where he had a $45/hr job(with about 40/hrs a week OT) waiting for him(do the math). BTW he’s 29 and Latino. And by no means is he an exception.

Life is what you make of it. If you’re feeling entitled, well your feelings and a couple bucks will get me a hot coffee.

You better believe that the people employed are every flavor. And you know why they’ll take employment that apparently is beneath you? Because it’s an opportunity, the first rung up. Once you get a littler time under your belt and show you’ll be on site on time & ready to hit it, the raises come and the opportunities increase. You can take your skills, improve upon them and be earning 6 figures in your 20s. With no student debt.

Did you read my comment? Manufacturing jobs are on the increase. Companies are finding it more profitable to manufacture here now and are relocating. Just today, FOXX Comm announced they will hire even more American workers at their new plant building Apple products.

You’d get some real information if you had sources other than The NYT, CNN and MSNBC. I believe the fool is one who trusts these sources for their information.

OK, 1. it’s Foxconn 2. They have missed their hiring targets 3. Many of the jobs are not going to be the promised manufacturing jobs, but something else (still being evaluated).

Why is it necessary to insult the previous responder by assuming they vacuum up infor from NYT, CNN and MSNBC? Most people on Commondreams don’t get their information from mainstream sources. Stupid right wing talking point mean to demean the other person and invalidate their argument.

So it’s inappropriate to use REgressive terminology? Seems to me I’m just following Alinsky’s Rules, Nos. 4 & 5.

What ever the news source of the OP, it’s obviously not one giving information other then then negatives about the President. Seems thou protest too much, there was no demeaning intended other then to throw their original insult back at them.

You should try reading for comprehension rather then reading something other then my words into my comments. The intent of my original comment was to challenge Bob’s various false assertions. Other then attacking me personally, nothing I wrote has been challenged.

Nothing’s been challenged? Reading comprehension back at you. I challenged what you said about Foxconn. Have a nice day.

I made 7 points in my OP, none of which were challenged.

Further lets say FOXXComm didn’t meet it’s employment goals. So? A few years ago, it was inconceivable that they would even be here with a huge capital investment hiring American workers.

But from you…they didn’t meet their employment goals. That’s pitiful.

I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize I was required to address every point in detail in order to be allowed to reply. :pleading_face:

I don’t believe you’re sorry.

Don’t address every point, address one. gandolf tried to minimize record low unemployment numbers for blacks & Latinos by stating the jobs were low paying(vague, I know but that’s all he had)

Simply put, jobs that weren’t available several years ago are now open.

I believe I addressed that point and he has gone else where.

Which is where I’m headed. A little of CD goes a long way.

I’m happy to challenge the idea that anything changed in the direction of the economy during President Trump’s terms except bigger deficits than would have happened if Congress had not passed the tax cut for the wealthy and more government related jobs to some contractors arising from more military spending.
The most recent BLS graphs of the unemployment rates from the household survey broken down by things like race and ethnicity are found at https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cps_charts.pdf There you will see that all of the trends regarding unemployment for blacks and hispanics are just continuing a trend. You can’t find one chart amongst the twenty displayed that shows a better trend under Trump than under the previous administration. (i.e. your points # 1, 2, and 6 are a bust not a boom)

While not a measure I would say is much of a positive reflection on the economy for everyday people, the stock market increased by more per year during Obama’s Presidency at 13.9% per year increase for the S&P, than under Trump’s term at 10.5% per year (i.e. your point #5 is a bust not a boom).

Economic optimism, following the IBD/TIPP index, was at 56.4 when Trump took office and is at 53.2 today so it’s gone down. Under Obama’s second term it went from 46.5 to 56.4.
The Conference Board’s Consumer Confidence Index is currently at 100, when Trump took office it was at 98.5. At the beginning of Obama’s second term it was at 73.8 - again a bigger increase during the past administration (i.e. your point #4 is a bust not a boom).

Manufacturing jobs have increased better during the Trump presidency than during Obama’s second term so your point #7 is correct (mostly because of increases in government military contract spending)

Again - I disagree that economic growth looked at in terms of GDP is a good thing - but here’s the data…GDP growth during the economic recovery was 2.6% in 2010, 1.6% in 2011, 2.2% in 2012, 1.8% in 2013, 2.5% in 2014, 2.9% in 2015, 1.6% in 2016, 2.2% in 2017, and 2.9% in 2018. So the data show that 2017 and 2018 looked liked 2014 and 2015 and are not particularly unusual. Last year you were commenting that 4% growth rates were a sure thing - but you were just wrong. This year you say they “will easily surpass 3%” and you will likely be wrong again. (i.e. your point #3 is a bust not a boom)

Your comments about black support for the President are also wrong on the facts with only about 10% approval in that group.

So because the historic low unemployment is a “trend” the current president gets no credit? Funny how that works when a Republican is in office isn’t. In fact my points 1, 2 & 6, looked at in other then partisan light are correct. President Trump is responsible for not just continuing the “trend” but accelerating all time lows in Latino and black unemployment rates.

The stock market in the Obama administration showed an overall increase because of where it was when he took office which was way down. And which BTW continued on a steep downward glide until the fake “stimulus” was enacted which stimulated his cronies. President Trump’s election OTOH began an uptick despite the market already was high.

Funny how you downplay GDP when the disastrous Obama policies made him the first president to never have 1 year of 3% GDP growth. Yes we were on track for a 4% GDP but other factors curtailed that. What I don’t get is are you seriously telling me that the dismal nightmare of Obama naive economic policies is better or even as good as the management of the current administration?

That’s craziness on stilts. You could say in spite of the mismanagement Obama came close to that 3%-ONCE-along with negative GDP and a couple GDPs in the 1% range-pitiful, no way to defend that but nice try-and you can also say that President Trump is setting us up for long term growth with his trade savvy.

The one concession you make is qualified with a snide aside about military contracts while with my own eyes, the economic frenzy here in w Texas is directly attributable to President Trump.

And you might have a poll showing black support is static but I’ve seen a number of them that say blacks are waking up to the utter contempt that the dems hold them in. One poll showed black male support for President Trump in the low 30s. So naturally you’ll downplay that because until the demographic change REgressives are manufacturing with this flood of low skill/IQ illegal aliens fully takes hold, they need all the black votes they can hustle. FYI, should this translate into much more then the 10% even you admit to, the dems aren’t winning the WH.