Home | About | Donate

The ADA at Thirty—Hooray in Part

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/26/ada-thirty-hooray-part

2 Likes

Sadly, many elderly and disabled people end up at the mercy of profit making enterprises thus making them commodities rather than human beings in the corporate world. Most likely their caregivers care, but are overwhelmed with responsibilities and undersupplied with necessities. Dickens writ large and largely hidden from most of the public. Covid-19 has temporarily pulled back the curtain on the problem, but likely it will ball back in place once the pandemic recedes. Medicare for All is surely a step in the right direction toward addressing some of the woes.

1 Like

By definition the elderly and disabled primarily rely on Medicare and Medicaid already. How would that change with M4A?

I would hope that with M4A a lot of the profit seeking structures would fail, as their real bread and butter is in employer based systems. It is a long shot given their current lobbying power, but that is a large part of why I was a Bernie guy in 2016 and 2020.

1 Like

Yes, there are no easy answers here, I would say the real bread and butter is from unregulated financial interests across the board. But I think we will have M4A but I’m not going to say that is a good thing. I like Bernie, but I’m not a Bernie gal.

Almost forgot…Cheers for the ADA which has resulted in a vast many changes not mentioned here.

1 Like

Love your Blog name Mike.
Thanks CD for running this story, and hope to see more of Mr. Ervin’s work in the future.

1 Like

This is a fine report by Mike Ervin on the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990).

ADA has accomplished much to bring Americans with disabilities into the mainstream, to help level the playing field for all, yet as the author notes, “I’ll measure the true progress that has been made by how much that has changed.”

Retired US Senator Tom Harkin (D) of Iowa was the bill’s principal author, and he was its chief sponsor in the Senate. According to his Wiki page, “Harkin delivered part of his introduction speech in sign language, saying it was so his deaf brother could understand.”

This is a tremendous legacy of Senator Harkin. While it is a victory to celebrate, “much progress still needs to be made.”