Home | About | Donate

The Age of Disintegration: Our Endless Cycle of Indecisive Wars

The Age of Disintegration: Our Endless Cycle of Indecisive Wars

Patrick Cockburn

We live in an age of disintegration. Nowhere is this more evident than in the Greater Middle East and Africa. Across the vast swath of territory between Pakistan and Nigeria, there are at least seven ongoing wars -- in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Libya, Somalia, and South Sudan. These conflicts are extraordinarily destructive. They are tearing apart the countries in which they are taking place in ways that make it doubtful they will ever recover.

It cannot be said often enough that these actions are all planned as laid out in Zbigniew Brzezinski's The Grand Chessboard (1997). That's right, if you are unfamiliar with this book I urge you to read it as it lays out in detail the purposes for these actions (which is NOT to say I concur with such purposes). The central tenet is to prevent the formation of a stable unifying (stabilizing) presence in the Middle East that would challenge American hegemony in the region. It is divide and conquer (or keep conquered) writ large. In that book, you will also learn the purposes of the unfolding events in the Ukraine. History doesn't happen folks; it is planned, executed and written by the victors. Rarely are the people the victors.

Anybody who says no lessons were learned from the Viet Nam and Iraq occupations is either fibbing or has been locked in a closet for decades.

Serial occupations and wars create an unending revenue stream for the military industrial complex, It IS that simple.

Mr. Cockburn, I believe you will indeed find that out elected representatives who are heavily invested in "defense" contractors find these wars to be decisively very profitable.

Powerful & related subject matter: