Home | About | Donate

The American dark money behind Europe's far right

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/12/american-dark-money-behind-europes-far-right

1 Like

Why is it christians, who are so obsessed with the idea of heaven, always create a hell wherever they go?

8 Likes

Soaring hypocrisy to soothe the vacant consciences of psychopaths has long been a USAmerican specialty, setting a standard nobody else can match (U S A ! U S A !). Frederick Douglass exposes phony religion as the very foundation of USA oppression, in the appendix to his Narrative (1845):

I love the pure, peaceable, and impartial Christianity of Christ: I therefore hate the corrupt, slaveholding, women-whipping, cradle-plundering, partial and hypocritical Christianity of this land. Indeed, I can see no reason, but the most deceitful one, for calling the religion of this land Christianity. I look upon it as the climax of all misnomers, the boldest of all frauds, and the grossest of all libels. Never was there a clearer case of “stealing the livery of the court of heaven to serve the devil in.” I am filled with unutterable loathing when I contemplate the religious pomp and show, together with horrible inconsistencies, which everywhere surround me. We have men-stealers for ministers, women-whippers for missionaries, and cradle-plunderers for church members. The man who wields the blood-clotted cowskin during the week fills the pulpit on Sunday, and claims to be a minister of the meek and lowly Jesus.

8 Likes

Dog, grant me the authority to change the things that need to be changed…

2 Likes

You can’t understand the rise of fascism in Europe without talking about neoliberalism.

5 Likes

Industrialists or bankers, which is more evil.

Religion; the opiate of the masses! Talk about a crisis, just like the opioid crisis, only far more dangerous.With far more “addicts”. IMHO, religion has outlived it’s usefullness, if it ever had one other than control, at least in this day and age of religion being weaponized and wielded as such.

1 Like

Aleph –

Had no idea that Frederick Douglass had written on anything on religion –
least of all referring to it as “phony religion as the very foundation of USA oppression.”

"We have men-stealers for ministers, women-whippers for missionaries, and cradle-plunderers for church members."

Is the brainwashing so deep that they never come to realize that it is these men who
send our sons to wars, enslave women to childbearing, and send toddlers into factories?

Or – it it always simply a matter of stolen elections?

Granted there is a great deal of the lesson of brainwashing in “Christianity” –
organized patriarchal religion which continues to teach male-supremacy and the
‘inferiority’ of females mainly trades in fear.

The symbol of the cross is very much intended to strike fear in the hearts of all.
Given the violence of “Christianity” why wouldn’t it?

The New Testament claims as truth borrowed myths which have been recycled
dozens of times before. And a Jesus who likely never existed – and certainly no
evidence for a crucifixion even in the Bible. One Mary presented as a Mother
rather than a likely wife. The other as a whore. Fear paralyzes and enslaves us.
The Old Testament was written to cement Patriarchy and began the disappearing
of women; especially the notable women of the time and their writings.

Notice that the Jesus myth includes TORTURE – because most of us fear it more than death.

No Old Testament book literally refers to Jesus, and there is no actual prophecy of him or of his crucifixion.

Jesus was never crucified according to the Holy Quran, the Bible and the witness of the early
Christians.

1 Like

Hi Greenwich,

Frederick Douglass is my latest heartthrob. There were some dozen or so escaped slaves who wrote narratives of their lives, but nothing to compare with Douglass’ masterpiece. The remarkable thing: practically all of the other slave-memoirists wound up becoming men of the cloth. When pressed, Douglass professes his love for the meek spirit of Jesus, but he seems to seldom volunteer anything spontaneously religious. He grew up watching sanctimonious hypocrites bloodily brutalize his relatives, from his earliest years – and so acquired a profound suspicion of religion.

I’m somewhat versed in the reasons to doubt the actual existence of any historical Jesus. For instance: contemporary John the Baptist is noticed in the writings of Roman functionaries. Not so for that other guy.

Theological grownups can get weary of this historical question. It’s a Protestant peculiarity to insist on literal interpretation of sacred text. What really matters to me, in appreciating scriptures of all sorts: What is the poetic, mythic, moral significance of the story told here? (Who cares if it “really happened”?)

But from that mythically-centered perspective, I’m still challenged by the stories about this character: his beef with the money-changers is fairly perplexing; he casts demons into a bunch of pigs, which run into the ocean and needlessly drown; his curse makes a perfectly good fig tree die because it isn’t the season for figs; and his standards of behavior leave ample room for improvement (sometimes he’s just gratuitously snotty), in my (eminently) humble opinion!

1 Like

Hi Aleph –

The remarkable thing: practically all of the other slave-memoirists wound up becoming men of the cloth.

In hindsight we can see the position provided a preaching post and a roof where presumably
organization began for “Christian” AA’s. And that they used the book and its teachings wisely
against their enslavers and for their freedom. In the earliest days, I’ve read being in a church
together was one of their first opportunities to pass along coded messages to their fellow slaves.
Rulers were also not too happy when AA’s also began to use the American flag.

Think we have to realize that Protestants followed a questioner/challenger in removing
themselves from the teachings of the RCC – but for those of them who become fanatical
about the book and its teachings, it seems they do very little questioning/challenging on
their own. Morals came before the book – what proceeded all of these male-supremacist
religions was the Old World Religions based in Nature which came thousands of years
before. Where there is violence in books, there is little much else I can accept.
Also, “editing” of the books to overturn the very meaning of prior statements is little hidden.
And also knowing how much has been removed – especially women’s writings.

I do care if it “really happened” because I think otherwise we are cheating and fooling the
next generation who have to find out for themselves the lies involved in their own searches.
Sadly, even if there was one unique “Jesus” at the time the prior history of dozens of others
with pretty much the same story trail would mean this new “Jesus” was simply a sad imitation.

It looks to me that the kindly “Jesus” – who may have even had a homosexual lie down in
the Bible – was created to offset the violence of the Old Testament’s raving and insane “god.”
But the Old Testament was written to cement patriarchy and to disappear women and did so
— ultimately doing great harm to this world.

The story changers are still at work – “Jesus” actually comes off as a “commie” in the
writings, but we also see today that the right wing is making him an enemy of the poor
every chance they get.

There are too many of the stories of the times that aren’t told – at that time and today.
The stories we know that need to reach public ears and hearts and simply don’t.

The greatest stories to be told – the stealing of this continent from the native people
by the RCC it seems. From the perspective of the native people – and all others enslaved.

(Was just trying to watch C-span and a panel discussing anti-Semitism rising –
but will have to try to catch it again. Concerns about what colleges/universities are doing
or not doing about it – but I’m very concerned that Israel will get away again with claiming
criticism of their policy toward Palestinians is “anti-Semitism.” They don’t seem to be taking
it from the overall view of the continuing war on all of the oppressed – women, homosexuals,
Jews, AAs, Native people – all of this rising since the assassination of JFK and our people’s
government.)

1 Like