Home | About | Donate

'The American People Should Be Pissed Off': Critics Say Trump Tax Dodging Exposes System Rotten to the Core

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/28/american-people-should-be-pissed-critics-say-trump-tax-dodging-exposes-system-rotten

7 Likes

We are a nation of cheaters. We always have been. One of our perceived rights as exceptional Americans is the right to get away with whatever we can. Cop didn’t see it, I didn’t do it. We live in a nation where the most cardinal of sins is not cheating. It’s getting caught cheating.
Cheating on our taxes is a sacrament. Instead of demonizing people who cheat, we congratulate those that don’t get caught. Maybe our wealthy people are right. The fallback argument for why every rich person, every captain of industry cheats, and why they treat their employees like shit has always been that, if a poor person suddenly become wealthy, they would do the same things.
Are they wrong?

11 Likes

…far as im concerned, the people who are going to be “pissed off” by inequities within the system already are; in other words, the people who aren’t already “pissed off” are happy/content with the status quo.
Trump’s base of support is content with economic inequities, so long as the racial disparities persist, for example.

So by all means, keep trying to turn out the vote with stories like this one, but…i think it’s dawning on more & more people that voting alone isn’t “the solution” to Fascism. Im sorry, really, i am. But it’s the truth.

15 Likes

I agree, don’t be sorry for speaking the truth. Like the late George Carlin said: " IF VOTING MATTERED…IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL".

12 Likes

Al Capone was locked up for tax evasion, I think the reason Trump has hidden his tax returns for so long is ne knows he could be indicted for the same thing. If Trump cannot spin it as tax avoidance, once he leaves office he has to know he could face the same indictment as Al Capone. Another reason why Trump will rig the next election to keep his presidential, immunity in order to avoid jail.

7 Likes

WELL, I’m shocked to find out American Fat Cats don’t pay taxes … why?

Buy politicians to write tax laws such as the 2017 tax relief bill for real estate moguls. Now you know who benefits most.

5 Likes

Doubtful this will have any measurable impact in the election. Americans want to know how a political party is going to improve their lives, plain and simple. Unfortunately, the Dems have nothing (again) to offer in this regard.

6 Likes

Entire GenX was raised to cheat on their resumes to get jobs and get into schools. Why should they care? Really liberals can’t get self righteous when they let Gore lose when he won. Don’t count the votes? Only if you agree with the Red agenda like the DNC. Epstien, not a word from the mainstream media. It gets harder and harder to feel any outrage.

4 Likes

William Domhoff off has been tracking this type of thing for decades. In his tremendous work covered under Who Rules America, Domhoff tracks the creation of legal crookery and the theft of money and power in the United States. He posted a letter from a financial manager Who services the top 1% to 1/10 of 1%, and explains the tax rules and evasions put in place for them and buy them which concentrates power and money into the hands of a few and we don’t even know about it.

Fyi from william domhoff page:

“I could go on and on, but the bottom line is this: A highly complex set of laws and exemptions from laws and taxes has been put in place by those in the uppermost reaches of the U.S. financial system. It allows them to protect and increase their wealth and significantly affect the U.S. political and legislative processes. They have real power and real wealth. Ordinary citizens in the bottom 99.9% are largely not aware of these systems, do not understand how they work, are unlikely to participate in them, and have little likelihood of entering the top 0.5%, much less the top 0.1%. Moreover, those at the very top have no incentive whatsoever for revealing or changing the rules. I am not optimistic.”

17 Likes

The story should be what a sorry “successful” business tycoon he is NOT, not how how gamed thye system which was already in place for the 1 and 1/10 Percenters. He lost millions he inherited. Lost more millions when is father came to his rescue. Lost millions more over the decades in failed adventures. For all practical purposes he is BROKE. In debt and living on credit as are his siblings.
Stop blaming the GOP for all these giveaways to the wealthy, corporations, etc. as the Dems are no better. Both have bankrupted the middle-class, and the upper middle-class until they are one and there is no money line that separates them: Us. DT is a lot of things but his legal enablers did what they do, what they all do for those who employ them: Keep the long green where it belongs which is Them.

5 Likes

Trump dodges taxes and dodged the draft. Most systems are set up to benefit the wealthy, the greedy and the fortunate.
Tax loopholes for rich people and corporations show that our government is owned by monied interests.
The core issue is that a portion of the populace, such as Trump and his cult, work very hard to exploit all loopholes, cheat, commit fraud, break laws, and otherwise refuse to participate in the social contract that honest, ethical people abide by.
For Trump and his ilk, they don’t care if what they do is wrong, they only care if they can get away with it.
They have an anti-social, criminal, decadent, predatory attitude towards others and the rules that govern society. Anyone who plays by the rules, according to Trump, is a rube and a sucker.

10 Likes

William Rivers Pitt’s reaction:

There is currently a great deal of “We knew that already!” commentary being inspired by this inspired piece of Times journalism. To no small degree, this is true: Donald Trump and his entire family are, among other things, perhaps the most obvious pack of grifters to come down the road since the original snake-oil salesmen plied their blighted wares on the dusty byways of a fledgling nation. It does not take an electron microscope and the sensory perception of a canyon bat to pick up on this.

That being said, now we have the receipts, and they portray Trump as being much more than merely greedy. He hasn’t turned the White House into his personal ATM machine because he loves his money like any good capitalist does. He’s doing it to stave off looming financial disaster; he’s looting the Treasury not simply because he can, but because he absolutely has to if he wants to avoid getting pauperized by his own horrid business instincts. He’s using gobs of our cash to plug the gaping holes in his sinking ship.

~https://truthout.org/articles/tax-returns-show-trump-looting-treasury-to-stave-off-his-own-financial-disaster/

A little bit more from Michael Cohen, as quoted by Paul Street:

“Trump,” Cohen warns in his book Disloyal, “will never leave office peacefully….Whoever follows Trump into the White House, if the President doesn’t manage to make himself the leader for life, as he has started to joke about – and Trump never actually jokes – will discover a tangle of frauds and scams and lawlessness. Trump and his minions will do anything to cover up that reality, and I mean anything” (emphasis added).

This isn’t dystopian political science fiction. This is really happening here and now.

~https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/09/28/the-rolling-constitutional-fascist-coup-in-the-worlds-most-dangerous-nation/

9 Likes

The Left should not be reliant upon the Republicans in exposing Hunter Biden and Biden’s brother, James. Although this one article was an exception

~https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/08/02/joe-biden-investigation-hunter-brother-hedge-fund-money-2020-campaign-227407

Many apples fall close to the tree.
Glad there are also many that had an upbringing that encouraged honesty and good character.

1 Like

Most of us had no choice about paying income taxes. They were subtracted from our paychecks. The IRS used to be a respected and feared agency, but now it doesn’t have the wherewithal to deal with the complicated tax computations of the rich. I do not think we’re necessarily a culture of cheaters, but when there is so much corruption at the upper levels of society, common folks lose faith in the system and are more likely to act with disregard. Many of us still consider paying taxes as a necessary part of being a citizen.

4 Likes

I think when Chris Wallace asks Biden about Trump’s tax returns his first line ought to be, “We’ll little did I know before this weekend that I would be the wealthier of the two candidates running for the Presidency.”

3 Likes

“Pissed-Off”? Hell yes, for hiding his crimes, deceit and lies, and for much more! the trump regime and the orange chancre himself and his family have stolen from the American people! The ways are numerous, including tax-evasion - “tax-dodging” is too mild a term, and tax-cuts for himself, family & crony’s, corporations - all those that have benefited from trumps corrupt rule while the 99% struggled and lost their futures!.

6 Likes

Ever drive on a US highway. Is anyone driving the speed limit? We are such a “law and order” country - except when we are inconvenienced. Of course San Francisco has so many traffic signs and rules that it makes you disobey them just because you know you are being unnecessarily controlled.

Trump insists this all fake news. His cult will insist it fake news. Does it change much?

2 Likes

There should be a cap on how much can be written off based on income and overall wealth. Far too much game played by those in the upper brackets.

2 Likes