Home | About | Donate

The American Taliban

The American Taliban

Bob Topper

If you believe in the separation of church and state, then you probably think that evangelicals exert far too much influence on American life, our politics, and culture. When I remarked to a friend that evangelicals are the America’s answer to the Taliban, he thought the comparison was too harsh. After all, he said, “Evangelicals don’t go around killing people.”

2 Likes

More than a decade ago, during the Dubya Regime, Dan Savage, publisher of The Stranger (a Seattle newspaper) relabeled the GOP the American Taliban Party, a fitting identity then and even more so today with Pence leading the crusade.

6 Likes

Topper sez: "The philosopher Spinoza … believed in a god and that the one true, consistent and important message of the bible was ‘love thy neighbor.’”

Not sure I agree that there is much consistency in the bible. But, yes, it would be a far more useful publication for study if it were edited down to a short story titled, The Sermon on the Mount.

They don’t call 'em Talibangelicals for nothing!

4 Likes

Just please look at that picture and then reflect on their book’s words:

Matthew 6:

Prayer

5 “When you pray, do not be like those who only pretend to be holy. They love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners. They want to be seen by other people. What I’m about to tell you is true. They have received their complete reward. 6 When you pray, go into your room. Close the door and pray to your Father, who can’t be seen. Your Father will reward you, because he sees what you do secretly. 7 When you pray, do not keep talking on and on. That is what ungodly people do. They think they will be heard because they talk a lot. 8 Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need even before you ask him.

4 Likes

i think that churches should start paying taxes if they preach politics from the pulpit. you have one pastor claiming the democrats will kill christians if they get into office. i would just like for all the madness to end

10 Likes

For all of their problems, and differences of opinions, one of the best things our forefathers did when laying down the foundation for this country was the separation of church and state. I am always suspect of anyone who wants to override or eliminate this basic principal, in any situation.

8 Likes

Congress must demand that the military step up and prevent any future Trump rallies to prevent his incitement to Hate from continuing.

Now!

4 Likes

Sinclair Lewis wrote that back in the 1930’s and was prescient to say the least!

6 Likes

I am not quite sure that “consume, consume, consume” is an inspiring way of life.

Peace.
ths.

5 Likes

what exactly is inspiring about ‘the american way of life’ - the lack of the right to healthcare? the lack of family leave when a new american is born? the expectation that you can be killed on the street for nothing? the probability you will be incarcerated at the highest rate in the world? the decrease in educational standards at any level? the systemic racism and consolidated power in the hands of just two parties?

This person should try to live or visit a few other ‘ways of life’ on this planet that are not american - to be more realistically inspired

5 Likes

If any extraterrestrials are listening out there, HELP!

2 Likes

You are joking, right ? A military overthrow?

this pos should not hold any position of power let alone as a leader with the most overwhelming military forces (who have an evangelical movement in the air force by the way).

3 Likes

The only problem I have is tagging the military with that geas. The military has a lot of power, and much of that is routed through Evangelicals who have been promoted into positions of power. It could be that the Hate will just change targets, and get a lot of weapons it doesn’t currently have.
*Yes, Hate must be curbed. I just am worried if we are going to use the organization that programs its members by “hate and dehumanize the enemy” to try to cure the once United States of America of generic hatred.
;-})

5 Likes

Please don’t underestimate the danger. If the Chinese take over the US, we’ll be eating rice with dinner two or three nights a week. If the blacks take over, most of our popular music will be rhythm-n-blues. If the Mexicans take over, there’ll be a Taco Bell on every corner and bottled salsa in every supermarket. The Middle Easterners have already infiltrated this country with their hummus and tabooli. Look at what the eye-talians did - pizza and pasta are everywhere. Save the hot dog!!

I hope this is sarcasm. I noticed though you did not mention the tribal people- not interested in take over- just left alone to live with the Earth.

Minitrue,

Didn’t you do a stint in the military, a long, long time ago?

What is needed is

1. overthrow of the Evangelicals
  2. separation of church and state
3 Likes

Yeah but if you are praying in your room how are you going to let the Public know where to send their cheques so that you can “save” them?

1 Like

Granted, i am not really up to date on my faerie tales, but as i understand it the “original” bible was very consistent as it was supposedly just 10 simple commandments anyone with a conscience could more or less agree to.
The bible itself, all 50+ different and contradictory versions of it, appear to be some 1000 pages of bullshit designed to overturn some (or all) of those commandments so that they can be cherry picked or ignored at will.