Home | About | Donate

The American Version of Fascism is Alive and Prospering

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/28/american-version-fascism-alive-and-prospering

2 Likes

Well the liberals are creeping toward a recognition that the U.S. is a fascist country. That’s progress I guess.

5 Likes

" Fascists like to have elections, which give the illusion that they support democracy." That quote from the article says it all!

4 Likes

Being a Happy Aspie, I had to go to the source of the word. Fasces(Latin)indicating a bundle of rods around an axe, carried by a lictor to show he had authority to carry out a sentence, a symbol of authority. Lictor(Latin), a person who has the authority to appear before consols or magistrates to carry out a sentence. So…what we have here is a belief system that is based on absolute authority to carry out the rules of those in power. No protests. All must obey.
I suspect these folks think they are the only ones who are allowed to rule the world, to dictate what the rest of us can do and cannot do. Robert Altmeyer(sic) has a marvelous guide describing what authoritarians believe, and it’s one scary guide.
The roots lie deep within the history of homo sap, but it was honed to a sharp edge with the Protestant movement in Europe, with Luther and Calvin and Knox, all preaching that being wealthy was a sign of favor from god, that the poor are inherently sinful, and that everyone must obey those who are in charge.
Once the economy tanks, the US will be a full-fledged Fascist state. Since very few people protested the 2008 crash, and no one was punished for it, the next one will have us bending over and really taking it in the shorts, all while hailing the marvelous rich rulers…

6 Likes

The liberals in Canada, at least.

Excellent article.

4 Likes

“Fascism is first characterized by a virulent nationalism…” which generally manifests in jingoist screeching about "Russia, Russia, Russia!"

(A practice that the other neo-fascist party in our proto-fascist duopoly has made popular, in recent years.)

3 Likes

And here is the Democrat’s response, preparing to lose:

2 Likes

Upper TEN percent??  IF ONLY that many people benefitted — it would spread some wealth around.
It was the upper ONE-TENTH of one percent whom it helped, and that’s about all.

With this year’s floods wiping out a lot of the farmers who escaped being ruined by Tweetle-Dumb’s terrific tariffs, and more & more Korporate Thieves moving jobs overseas, “our” economy could tank
any day now.

*  Thank P’Loser & O’Bummer for that one.  They let Cheney, Prince and the rest of the War Criminals off the hook in '09 as well, not just Mnuchin and his fellow Banksters.

1 Like

Ok, Someone has to add this here:
It’s from 2015 but hey, Fascism is timeless. And yes, we have hit all 14 now.

3 Likes

The GOP became a full on fascist party when the Crusader Newt executed his contract on Murka nearly a quarter century ago. It has created nothing and destroyed everything for the 99%. At least the 1930s fascists took pride in running trains on time.

Ever since Trump ascended the throne the GOP has been an organized crime syndicate akin to the Mafia or Taliban more than it has been a political party.

This deliberate spiral (up for the 1% and down for the 99%) has indeed been enabled by the Democratic Party ever since the 1985 Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) formation.

4 Likes

This article captures exquisitely the silent takeover of the commons: noting how the courts operate and who sits on them; rubbing one’s nose on the inner belly of military hegemony and its display to the sheep; gerrymandering sanctioned by the courts; subjugation of woman; et al, is highly prophetic. Can it be long before Moscow starts unloading its tanks to the cheers of the right wing herd and crooked Donald leading the bass section?

3 Likes

I slipped over to the local book shop and read the entire ‘prologue’ to “1930: Europe in the Shadow of the Beast”, by Haberman (2018). This sets up the remaining sections, which query the intellectuals of the time (1930), such as Thomas Mann, Freud, Virginia Woolf…

Having just read Ece Temelkuran’s 2019 book, “How to Lose a Country”, which visits the autocrats of the present times, this look by Haberman to the foundations of modern fascism might prove to be an ideal match.

This is a new thing for me - intellectualizing these political themes. The times seem to require it.

1 Like

Pretty good description of Fascism. However I think this article seriously misdirects people’s thinking and hinders solutions when it attributes Fascism JUST to the Republican Party. The author seems to forget that it was Obama who enthroned the insurance companies in Obamacare instead of flat-out getting rid of them. Obama was also behind the push to force microwave radiation everywhere without any health considerations whatsoever. In California it was the Democrats who caved into the Pharma-Medical Industrial Complex by mandating a dangerous and frankly insane 70+ vaccination requirement for students (and soon to be YOU if you don’t stop them!). Obama did not end the wars like he said and we all hoped for, A long list could be put here. America’s Fascism is way beyond party affiliation. In fact I suggest that Fascists elitists who control BOTH major parties are deliberately inflaming the hostility between the two groups in order to FACILITATE even more Fascism. I honestly think that most people in both parties do not have the awareness of what Fascism is to see and understand when they are espousing a Fascist agenda. The two parties point their finger at the other party and call them Fascist; unfortunately at this point in time, they are both right. More Fascism is not the solution to Fascism. Again, the trouble with this article is that if you attribute Fascism solely to just one party, it hinders seeing it and eliminating it in your own party. Gopherit

6 Likes

You really can not have Facism if there a viable and robust opposition party. Given no such thing exists in the United States of America , and that the Democrats are not all that distinguishable from the Republicans (see israel…see Military spending) , the United States of America is a facist country.

6 Likes

Since we are talking about Fascism, I recommend “Wall Street and the Rise of Hitler” by Anthony Sutton, if you can find it, another supressed book.

Check out this except from another book:

Charles Higham, and his 1983 classic, Trading with the Enemy.

“What would have happened if millions of American and British people, struggling with coupons and lines at the gas stations, had learned that in 1942 Standard Oil of New Jersey [part of the Rockefeller empire] managers shipped the enemy’s [Germany’s] fuel through neutral Switzerland and that the enemy was shipping Allied fuel? Suppose the public had discovered that the Chase Bank in Nazi-occupied Paris after Pearl Harbor was doing millions of dollars’ worth of business with the enemy with the full knowledge of the head office in Manhattan [the Rockefeller family among others?] Or that Ford trucks were being built for the German occupation troops in France with authorization from Dearborn, Michigan? Or that Colonel Sosthenes Behn, the head of the international American telephone conglomerate ITT, flew from New York to Madrid to Berne during the war to help improve Hitler’s communications systems and improve the robot bombs that devastated London? Or that ITT built the FockeWulfs that dropped bombs on British and American troops? Or that crucial ball bearings were shipped to Nazi-associated customers in Latin America with the collusion of the vice-chairman of the U.S. War Production Board in partnership with Goering’s cousin in Philadelphia when American forces were desperately short of them? Or that such arrangements were known about in Washington and either sanctioned or deliberately ignored?”

I will add that much of this occured under a Democrat president… Gopherit

2 Likes

This “liberal” has known it for quite some time.

1 Like

A ray of hope in a dark world:

Greta Thunberg to sail across Atlantic for UN climate summits

And Greta is taking a year’s sabbatical off school, because:

"The campaigner, whose solo protest last year sparked the Fridays for Future global school climate strike movement, said in June she would be taking a year off school to attend the summits, on 23 September in New York and 2-13 December in Santiago, which she described as “pretty much where our future will be decided”.

A ray of hope or a pathway to global Fascism? I am all for a true new World Oder if it is based on true human rights but too much of what I see with the UN is that it is a way to bypass democracy and put control in the hands of elitists. That is certainly the way the European Union has been run – take control away from the the people and put it into the hands of tyrants. One thing about Hitler – he was a supreme BAD example. I see Fascism being imposed upon people through coercion/violence but a better if not only way for a sane planet is through education and persuasion. Having to resort to coercion/violence/deception for change to me means that you really don’t believe that democracy works, that if people are properly informed and educated that they will just continue to make selfish, self-serving decisions. I believe in democracy but democracy can only work if people have non-manipulated facts/truth. Watch WHO is presenting the facts and WHY they say what they say. In other words…Question Authority! Gopherit

"The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself. That in its essence is fascism: ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or any controlling private power" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Fascism Anyone? by Lawrence Britt published 2003 is a definitive study of fascist regimes. there is another edited version that does not accurately reflect Britt’s work and words.

“The Council for Secular Humanism, in their Spring 2003 issue of Free Inquiry, published an article by Laurence W. Britt on characteristics of the Fascist/protofascist model”. This original work, titled Fascism Anyone?, appeared on SecularHumanism.org

This original article listed 14 characteristics of fascist regimes of the recent past - these links can clearly be seen in the US of today!.

“Weeks after Britt’s article was published, a drastically modified version began circulating online. The “Fourteen Defining Characteristics of Fascism” was quickly posted to a well known conspiracy-minded website credited to Dr Lawrence Britt” - there are substantial differences. The differences between the original Britt study article and altered “version” have been confused and muddled over time, but are important.

I see an even greater fascist threat exposed by the original Britt study article Fascism Anyone? That threat has metastasized under trump’s “Little Mussolini” regime