Home | About | Donate

The Americans With Disabilities Act Is a Model for the World — Literally

The Americans With Disabilities Act Is a Model for the World — Literally

Janet Lord

July 26 marks the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Its passage harkens back to a bygone era when Americans with disabilities could count on bipartisan efforts in the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. Congress passed the ADA in 1990, and President George H.W. Bush signed it into law. Some years later, in 2008, President George W. Bush signed the ADA Amendments Act into law, seeking to restore the drafters’ intentions against a judicial onslaught that had effectively gutted the law.

This data shows why home schooling is so dangerous: it normalizes prejudices that belong to a former century, i.e. phase prior to the would-be Enlightenment:

"A decidedly tepid grassroots response failed to counter an overwhelming surge from right-wing homeschooling parent networks, who oppose the protections. A second attempt to ratify the CRPD in 2013 yielded a second defeat."

"two esteemed World War II veterans who acquired disabilities during their service, Senator Bob Dole and Senator John McCain"

Senator McCain was born in 1936. I hadn't realised that the USA employed child-airmen in World War 2, which ended in 1945. No wonder he is so esteemed. I had thought, obviously mistakenly, that he had got his disabilities whilst creating disabled Vietnamese civilians by bombing places like Hanoi in the 1965-1975 period.