Home | About | Donate

The Anthropocene Is... Heavy: Scientists Find Human-Made Objects Now Outweigh All Life on Earth

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/09/anthropocene-heavy-scientists-find-human-made-objects-now-outweigh-all-life-earth

1 Like

Gotta eat more and fatten up to preserve the balance.

2 Likes

“On average, for each person on the globe, anthropogenic mass equal to more than his or her body weight is produced every week.”

Whilst the brain weight is negligible.

2 Likes

Got to be careful though that we don’t implode.

I wonder----is there a weight that Earth can have with all that concrete and skyscrapers, and giant trucks------is there a weight we could reach with “things,” that could slow the rotation of the Earth?

2 Likes

More likely to speed it up and we’ll spin out of our orbit and overtake the musk rocket en route to Mars thereby claiming fame to the first planet in the Milky Way to go backwards.

3 Likes

Hi wingsofadove:
OMG, that made me laugh-----but I did read recently of planets that skip around space and are not really attached to anything else…a real rogue planet! Although, the politicians are going rogue—so I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised. : (

2 Likes

Hmm…that graph shows the exponential growth of Stuff began right when the human population also exploded exponentially. When I was born right after WW2, we had barely reached 2 billion people on Gaia, and plenty of open spaces for all beings. Levittown was just beginning to be built. It’s also interesting that it really took off during the Reagan years, when consumption became a duty and we all wanted to keep up with the Joneses as portrayed on all those TV shows worshiping the rich.
Not to spout conspiracy theories, but the powers that be in industry and advertising were afraid, in the 1920’s, because people were satisfied just with what they had, with no wish to buy more. It was a use, reuse, recycle economy. Nothing was thrown away but was revamped into other uses. Even old clothing became patches or rags for use in quilts. Food leftovers were eaten again in stews; when that was down to orts, it became dog and cat food or fed to the household pigs and chickens. So greed had to be manufactured, very hard in the pre-TV days.
Television is throw away capitalism’s perfect invention. Captive audiences fed 10 second adverts so fast it only affects the reptile brain, which says “BUY!”.
I ditch-pig as much trash as I can, easily filling up several trash bags a day. It’s all things like paper receipts(from the local stores), fast food wrappers, junk food wrappers, and plastic water bottles. People eat and toss, even when there’s trash cans close by. Then they climb into their huge vehicles and speed off. At the risk of being flamed, they deserve the moniker of Deplorables for the way they treat our planet.
Let’s return to our not-so-distant past-use, reuse, recycle. And don’t buy new if possible. It’s shoddy goods made with slave labour. Go for the good old stuff.

1 Like

Forever chemicals, forever trash.
Humanity’s timeless monument to the Universe.
Here’s your sign.
What an exciting time to be alive, really, I mean it.
The people alive today are an infintesimal fraction of all of the mamas and papas and babies that ever lived.
If our descendants continue staying alive and move on to whatever else evolution has to offer, we here now will be the reason they could.
Or, we got to see La Finale!

1 Like

And before internet, was capitalism’s perfect mind control.

1 Like

Serious?.. so what! ridiculous…and who funded this study? It is distractions such as this that have got us to where we are now…

1 Like

You said it evo. Wonder who will conquer.

Agree totally. Such stupid, worthless studies that mean nothing. Same with exploration into space. Waste of inginuity better spent on sustaining the beautiful planet we have at our fingertips.

But make sure that you don’t eat any human made stuff because that won’t count as living stuff.

“Ending is better than mending,” as Aldous Huxley observed wryly in the Brave New World founded on “Fordism,” named for the prime exponent of mass production. And interchangeable parts, as one Alpha is as good as another, one Epsilon is as another. End rather than mend.