Home | About | Donate

The Anti-Democracy, Pro-Corporate Contortions of the US Senate

The Anti-Democracy, Pro-Corporate Contortions of the US Senate

Robert Weissman

Following elaborate legislative contortions and gimmicks designed to hand multinational corporations their top priority, today the U.S. Senate paved the way for Fast Track legislation that aims to advance the corporate wish list known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), as well other trade deals.

When BAD policy becomes the law of the land, C.D.'s tag team incessantly blames voters.

Yet when voters' wishes are utterly abandoned by those voted in (given that the election system presents its own smoke, mirrors, graft, corruption, and pay to play enforced provisions and parameters), they say nothing. In fact, they like to blame this sell-out of Democratic values on the voters rather than those in power who are DOING THE SELLING OUT!

This can't be repeated often enough as it lends yet more evidentiary proof to what has already been proven by The Page and Gilens Study. Power is utilizing the mechanisms that its enormous wealth has gotten hold of (both through legal and covert/illegal channels) to favor and further its own interests. These are NOT what majorities of citizens envision for this nation, or their own lives:

"Those contortions were necessary because the American people overwhelmingly oppose these deals, notwithstanding an endless barrage of propaganda. They oppose these deals because they know from personal experience that the NAFTA model fails miserably. They know that these deals will mean more export of jobs, more downward pressure on wages. They know that these deals will undermine our ability to maintain an d adopt strong environmental and consumer protections. They know that these deals are designed to help giant corporations, and not communities."

I don't blame voters. I blame non-voters. What can you expect with a 36% voter turnout?

Gore Vidal
"Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half."

Hunter S. Thompson
"All we have to do is get out and vote, while it's still legal, and we will wash those crooked warmongers out of the White House."

You don't understand the history of aristocratic powers and their control over policy. I posted a link that WOULD educate you if you could spare half an hour..

If we all vote in the primary, we will make the choice. And its not likely to be Hillary.

"

I saw a YouTube video of a link you posted, and it was very good although I had been "educated" on these things before.

I think aristocracy and democracy are immiscible. Each always tries to get rid of the other. One has the power of great wealth and the other has the power of great numbers. The former beats the latter by repression, as in oligarchies like ours. The latter beats the former by 100% voter participation, as in democracies like Scandinavia. Perhaps the best we can hope for now is to reach a fair equilibrium between oligarchy and democracy.

Democracy requires the popular participation expressed by our votes. If we don't vote, we are powerless. We cease to be a democracy and become a dictatorship, in our case, a dictatorship of capital.

Big capitalists have long realized that the people's power lies in our votes so they dedicate big money to suppressing the vote. They have successfully managed to lower voter turnout to 36%.

Instead of giving up, not voting (which means voting for the opposition), or voting for a third party with no material gain and a wholesale loss for progressives, why not form progressive voting coalitions? I think progressive candidates like Bernie, a third party Independent running as a Democrat, are open to the idea and would champion electoral reforms like proportional representation. That would give progressive third parties a seat in government.

Greatly increasing voter turnout and forming a progressive Democrat/third party coalition are the only winning alternatives I see. A revolution you say? After a revolution, another, harsher dictatorship is likely to supplant this one.

There is always a way and giving up on democracy is no solution.