Home | About | Donate

The Apathy in the Media Regarding Brett Kavanaugh Is a National Scandal

The Apathy in the Media Regarding Brett Kavanaugh Is a National Scandal

Julie Millican

Picture this: A controversial, deeply unpopular president mired in scandal makes a Supreme Court nomination that his party is desperately trying to jam through the process before virtually anything is known about the nominee. Then, in the middle of it, an anonymous senior official in the president’s administration pens an op-ed in The New York Times that lays out serious questions about the president’s fitness for office and the dangers he poses to the country.

2 Likes

“Apathy” implies that the media is ignoring these crimes.

Most media is owned by oligarchs who are complicit in Kavanaugh’s crimes and the even more widespread crimes other GOP operatives have committed and continue to commit. The media is therefore NOT apathetic, the media is COMPLICIT.

To distract us from Kavanaugh, the media is providing widespread coverage of this week’s faux “leak” contrived by the GOP.

6 Likes

The Oligarchs in the United States of America who own and control the MSM, are complicit in only reporting the news they want the masses to know.

3 Likes

Yes, any court nominee or judge that commits perjury should not be confirmed, or even considered…and/or removed from his position…unless that quality and lack of integrity is what is desired by the nominator…in this case Donald Trump, who is in lots of hot water and needs a malleable justice to save him…trump, through his mouthpiece Giuliani, has now reversed his earlier position that he wants to testify, and now will not answer any questions under oath on obstruction of justice or any other aspect of the Mueller probe!

Pardon himself? Pardon other co-conspirators? Fire the “Independent” Counsel, Mueller, and others? Other atrocities and contempt for the rule of honest law and cheerleader for the 1% and their interests above all others!
It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to see that trump is a corrupt wad of malice, a racist, a misogynist, a complete mental case, wannabe dictator, ruling by executive fiat, and his mental instability, coupled with a disturbed, extremely narrow world view and understanding of a 6 year old, are all a clear and present danger to the US and wider world!

IF Kava is somehow confirmed by Republican’s, they own the consequences, that are FAR more detrimental than they may think in their extremism!

To Republican Senators Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, (and any others of good judgment) please take note!

If Nominee Kavanaugh has a record and history of lying under oath, what chance do you thing his assurances to you about Roe V Wade being “settled law” and he will not push to reverse, are truthful? His words and assurances to you mean less than nothing! If he lied before, you can be sure he is lying to you both re: Roe, and more!
PLEASE, vote NO on his confirmation!

3 Likes

The state of our media is the real scandal. They are doing what their handlers ask.

2 Likes

Some of the biggest flaws in how the US government operates are not in the Constitution, but in the rules and norms that have grown up through time.

For example, the dictatorship of committee chairs. They have way too much power to do things like deny access to documents like what Grassley is doing in the Kavanaugh hearing.

3 Likes

post deleted by contributor

“You’d think the press would be interested in covering it.”

Yes, you would think. I won’t be a accommodating as the author of this story. This isn’t apathy on the part of the so called press, this is being a co-conspirator in the take over of our so call independent judiciary system for future corruption of the everyday values we hold dear in this country. The press is now in on the fascist takeover of our government, and in doing so should have lost all respect from the citizens.

3 Likes

Kavanaugh launched a probe into the death of Vincent Foster after countless previous investigations ruled suicide. However, with a push from several far right-wingers he managed to spend nearly 3 years and 2 million of our dollars to reach the same conclusion. It was able to cast more suspicion at both Clintons however, so it was a political success. Kavanaugh is a republican political operative who will be a corporate-loving, anti-worker disgrace. We will have decades of Supreme Court horror to come. I hope the rubbish around Common Dreams who think democrats are just as bad will enjoy the future.

1 Like

I assume you do not read the 2 most read papers in the nation. NYT and WaPo. They are doing a pretty decent job of covering including a lot of opinion pieces pointing out the horrors. Do a little reading before blustering.

" The takeover " is a soft coup by largely unnamed individuals and front groups ( in the so-called Information Age, no less ). Funded by the excessive profits generated by deregulation and lax enforcement of existing laws and rules of disclosure . With tie-ins to bait-and-switch political campaigns; the coup has been going on formally for 3-4 decades now and, accelerates with each new election cycle.
Since the MSM shares the same address as the coup leaders, Wall Street, why would you expect a different end product? Misleading and total fabrications go into the infinity machine and then are packaged and spewed out the other end. On a hyper-gyrating 24/7 news cycle. Thus creating a spin cycle that would leave The Maytag Repairman in a state of permanent shock and awe.
Can’t catch your breath or a break? FYI- You’re not supposed to.

2 Likes

No I don’t read corrupted for years newspapers with far right leanings, one basically owned by the CIA. But you keep vacuuming up all they have to spew.
By all means keep supporting corrupt candidates like Hillary, who couldn’t even beat Trump. I’m sure you’re parents are proud.

True, after Kavanaugh is seated, it can slow down a little, the take over will pretty much be complete.

1 Like

Apparently, you’re like ReconFire. You don’t read the papers, you just assume and bitch.

1 Like

So then you are commenting on something of which you are ignorant. Why am I not surprised?

That goes beyond rules. Blumenthal pointed out to Grassley many times that there was a rule that required him to hold a roll call vote about his motion to adjourn. Although he mentioned some bs (that Blumenthal pointed out was bs) about the rule only pertaining to executive sessions, Grassley’s response was essentially: “I don’t care about the rules. This is what I want and so I’m going to do it.” A great many cases in committee, on the floor, and from the president essentially say the same thing, “screw you, I’ll do whatever I want.” And so far they’ve gotten away with it every single time.

3 Likes

I read 9 newspapers and frequent 7-8 online publications daily. My morning consists of turning on the TV and the radio then scanning Huff Post, The Daily Beast and Raw Story. From there, it’s local papers, weeklies and onto Crooks and Liars, Thinkprogress and Alternet. I then have breakfast, catch some of Velshi & Ruhle, and scan The Intercept, Truthout, Truthdig and Counterpunch. Finally, I end up at Common Dreams.
To read you, of course.
Thanks and have a blessed day.

2 Likes

I read them (WaPo, NYTimes) mainly to discern just what the current flavor of slant is.
I cannot however watch cable or network snuz, no Tee Vee!

1 Like

Good for you. I check many of the same most every day. I did say to hell with AlterNet after they banned me from commenting for who knows what. Perhaps they thought I was not civil enough. I also like Hullabaloo, Slate, Talking Points Memo, Motherjones, vox, the Atlantic, and project-syndicate and Economist’s View for economic perspective.

You’d think the press would be interested in covering it.

Julie - one would think you would know who the press represents. I guess you don’t. That’s what I don’t get.