Home | About | Donate

The Arctic Is Speaking Truths About Climate Change. Is Anyone Listening?

The Arctic Is Speaking Truths About Climate Change. Is Anyone Listening?

Robin Bronen

The Arctic is screaming. Can you hear her in the floods of Houston, the drought in California and the epic snowfall in Boston this past winter? In Alaska, the only Arctic state in the United States, it was a record-smashing 89 degrees in Anchorage at 6:30 at night on June 15, 2015, one of several 80 degree days. Historically, June temperatures fluctuate between the mid-60s to mid-70s. Currently, 238 wildfires, burning 408 square miles, are forcing the evacuation of residents in several communities. Fifty-seven new fires ignited on June 22.

Obama's financial advisor recommended that he not impede Rothschild Dutch Shell's designs on the Arctic oil.

May I suggest that all of us can help the cold come back to Alaska by becoming vegans or at least vegetarians? The annual slaughter of ten billion animals in the U.S. is a major cause of global warming and contributes to the cost of health care as well; a vegetarian nation would have much less need for heart bypass operations, for example.

Computer models follow the mindset of those who created them. They are linear. They can process a lot of data and they can cross-reference some of it, but models are ALL based on calculations that were valid yesterday... or in the past. There is no way for linear designs to process the types of permutation that are NOW occurring.

I'll try to be more clear (and down to earth).

I've lived in North Florida off and on since l996. That's almost 20 years and I have NEVER experienced temperatures remaining over 95-degrees for 15 days. This is NOT a heat wave. The high temperatures set in before the official date of summer (June 22), and are now going on a 3rd week.

Watching The Weather Channel, one can see an Arctic cold front dip down and sometimes that means freeze warnings as far south as Florida. When the Arctic isn't cooling as it should, the heat begins to build up elsewhere and since these systems overlap and energize one another, the heat that's been sitting in Florida (and beginning to impact the North West), added to major heat waves in India and Pakistan THIS EARLY in the summer season presents a very ominous set of overlapping phenomena.

How hot will it get?

And all the heat sitting for months will rebound back at the Arctic so that winter will be reduced to less and less days until the whole planet heats up but for periodic pulses of cold.

The Weather Channel just stated that Boise, Idaho will be 25 degrees hotter than is usual for this time of year.

Since so many STUPID politicians and too many right wing Christian "End Timers" don't "believe" in global warming, Earth Mother has to clobber the ding dongs over the head with all this oppressive heat.

And the rainfall patterns are WAY out of kilter which does not bode well for long-term harvest cycles.

Wall St will make a killing on commodities futures... betting against omnipresent hunger.

Good computer models are not liner, Siouxrose, but nevertheless, assumptions go into choosing what variables will be employed. That said, in the final analysis, we are the ones who support the energy industry and it is our standard of living that will need to change. So the following is what I envision what might be done; picture how this will effect you.

Reorganize cities, building taller residences with a smaller footprint (the end of suburbia); institute a carbon tax; end our love affair with the automobile— promote car pooling subsidize and expand mass transit, walk and bike more; expand bike paths;, and have shareable (zip) cars, ban gasahol; turn off the air conditioner and dial the thermostat down in winter; rein in the militaries for defense only and outlaw war; ban night baseball; ban electric outdoor signs; shift from long distance truck to rail transport; ride more trains and buses, fewer planes; promote conference calls and web cams; promote zero population growth with free condoms and family planning world-wide; many more people would become vegetarians or vegans; phase out the cattle industry; discontinue bottled water; discontinue aluminum cans with and without carbonation; maximize reusable bags and products; minimize or ban disposables (Pampers, Ikea furniture); limit endless gadgets; end yearly auto model changes; limit all the advertising, junk mail, most retail, etc.; eliminate “fast junk food”; go to “slow food”; replace “fast fashion” with “slow fashion”; bring back mending, alterations and local tailors; completely redesign production of appliances, electronics, house wares, furniture, etc to be as durable and long-lived as possible; bring back appliance repairmen and such; design and build smaller housing to last for centuries and to be as energy efficient as possible, to be reconfigurable, and shareable; recycle maximally, especially aluminum cans; maximize solar and wind power; drive and accelerate more slowly; practice regenerative agriculture; reverse deforestation, plant more trees; climb more stairs; restrict spray cans;; eat and farm organic; use manual tools instead of power tools, use rakes rather than leaf blowers; push rather than power small mowers; replace lawns with vegetable gardens; compost as much as possible; more stairs, fewer elevators; promote subsidies for renewal energy

Too bad the news is too corrupt to show the carcasses of polar bears that wash up on shore after a storm catches them in a roiling sea with no ice to land on.

The MIC would have to completely change---toss fossil fuels and start helping countries instead of bombing them. Just imagine how much damage the MIC does to Gaia in one hour. Makes my little efforts seem feeble, but i'll continue them until the day i die, i imagine. :O)

You can go on about how the rest of the world needs to cut carbon emissions but until China and India stop using coal, etc. it don't make a damn bit of difference. I have also heard that our sun is getting hotter so how do you propose we stop it from generating more heat?

Turn off the AC and watch hundreds if not thousands die during heat waves like in India. Of course lower India and China's populations would go a long way to reduce carbon emissions. More than anything we can do here.

Do you people listen to yourselves?? It's laughable.