Home | About | Donate

The Best School Innovation Would Be More People

The Best School Innovation Would Be More People

Steven Singer

Public schools thrive on innovation.

In nearly every classroom around the country you’ll find teachers discovering new ways to reach students and foster skills, understanding and creativity.

But if you pan out to the macro level, the overwhelming majority of innovations aren’t organic. They’re imposed on us by bureaucrats and functionaries from outside the classroom:

Education Technologies.

1 Like

An excellent article. I can tell you, as a substitute teacher in charter schools all over Detroit, that bloated class size is a horrible problem just as it is in public schools.

2 Likes

Plus unfunded mandates for Sped that have been going on since the advent of charter schools.

1 Like

As a middle school teacher who has been forced to “accept” a corporate curriculum, I can tell you personally what a soul-sucking experience it has been for both students & teachers. The whole course is laid out so, as they said in the training, “The students teach themselves.” Aside from the lack of depth & rigor, there is also shameless self-promotion “disguised”–(only to students)–as exemplars of compositions and such little known facts as “John F. Kennedy…once said, ‘We have nothing to fear, but fear itself.’” (This was actually on one of their tests). But I guess when one works for a Silicon Valley giant, one knows more than the rest of us.
The only reform that needs to occur in education is for people who know *Nothing * about pedagogy to stop telling we that genuinely know something about it, what to do.

2 Likes

I agree! Also, administrators who sit in offices ( state or federal or even local) should not have that power either. They make big bucks to tell others what to do.

Plus teachers need to get paid more not less.

I taught in community colleges in NC for the last 13 years of my career that began with “electronics” then home repairs, teaching first math then economics. A couple of years before I retired a friend gave me a T-shirt that read, “Those who can, teach. Those who can’t make laws about teaching” (very fitting in this know-nothing state but also far beyond).

The “teaching-learning process,” like money, is an interpersonal relationship that cannot be approached by “Artificial Intelligence” or other similarly premature technologies. That’s the reason this know-nothing state calls its CC teachers “instructors,” who are supposed to read the textbook to the class and administer canned tests. This is the Olde Southe, dammit, and the planters are determined to keep it that way, and they are bearing down on the universities.