Home | About | Donate

The Big Tent Is Really No Tent: Why the Democrats' Old Guard Has to Get Out of the Way

The Big Tent Is Really No Tent: Why the Democrats' Old Guard Has to Get Out of the Way

John Atcheson

Mahatma Ghandi once said, “There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.”

No, it’s a class split, the 1% “haves” versus the 99% “have-less-and-less-all-the-time.” The Democratic leadership represents the “haves.” As I said on another thread, it’s a little hard to be optimistic about “new blood” in the party when what the party needs is a heart transplant. In other words, it’s not going to do much good to pump that new blood through a corrupt heart.

Relax, Chuck Schumer has everything figured out. Just like in 2016:

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

Time to remove by vote or other means those that hold citizenship in other countries. They do not represent the people.

Look around. Do you like what your government is doing to you and people in other countries? If not remove those in power now. Clean sweep. Fresh faces with new and different ideas.

It doesn’t matter if old guard Dims get out of the way if new "progressives’ continue to fail to recognize the U.S.-led capitalist empire and even the existence of 95% of the global population outside of the U.S. borders.

You can’t have global empire and a progressive nation. It’s morally and financially impossible.

99% is not a good number, it should be the 90% or 80% of us. In Portland, Oregon there are $800,000 homes scattered in neighborhoods of working class. Then the subdivision of the $500,000 plus homes. Restaurants are crowded from neighborhoods and upscale downtown restaurants. Where do they fall, they can’t all be 1% ers? Are they discontented with status quo? SF average cost of a house is $900,000 so is all of SF 1%ers?

I am just asking? I am sure not one of them but for once in why life I am glad I am old, own my own moderate 2 bedroom home and hopefully will not outlive my moderate savings and home value.

Same for me. The way it’s going I don’t want to be around much longer. The world is diseased. It is eaten to its core with malignant cancer. The only way to fix it is to take up arms. And that won’t be done until it is too late. The trumpanzees have to be destroyed. trump the traitor has to be imprisoned or killed along with the traitorous leaders of the gop. If that is not done it will only get worse and it looks like that is what is going to happen.

The Occupy rhetoric about the 99% is catchy but the statistics show the top 10% have been gaining in real income over the last few decades while the lower 90% has made no gains or has lost. One thing that is least appreciated is the lifestyle of the top 90%, not the billionaires but mainly the upper middle class, in keeping the the lower 90% down. This isn’t intentional but by moving to upscale suburbs with high property taxes it is mainly their children who attend the better school systems which gives their children a big advantage in getting into the better colleges and universities and making important connections for future employment. For the most part the children of the bottom 90% are put at a big disadvantage by this and are much more likely to wind up with lower paying jobs. This system just perpetuates itself and probably will as long as there is such inequality among school systems.

I am open to a 90%-10% distinction, or 88.55%-11.45% distinction with accommodation of regional cost-of-living differences (if that helps), but I insist on framing the discussion as a class war, which was my main point. To put it simply, I oppose the rich getting richer while the poor get poorer.

Probably the main reason for the progressive income tax is that without it the richer will get richer and the poor poorer. The income tax is probably the number one way to address this problem. But the rich, using the Republican Party, has convinced many people that cutting taxes for the rich will benefit everyone by stimulating the economy and creating good jobs. That is what is called trickle down. The problem is that so far it has never worked. In the latest tax scam by the Republicans most of the corporate tax cuts were used to buy back stock and reward investors. The upper income tax bracket several decades ago was about 93%. Recently Obama managed to increase it from about 35% to 38% I believe, which is still far to low. So I think the first thing that needs to be done is make the tax system fairer.

It’s not that simple since we have this duopoly set up. I do not like Rick Larsen, my Congress-critter, at all. But the only real viable choice to unseat him will be some fire breathing right wing Republican who won’t differ from him at all on the things I don’t like about him and be worse on the few things Larsen is good on.

I’m sure Republicans think the same way about their situations but in reverse.

I can vote against Larsen in the Primary and vote for the Green candidate- but the state “progressive guide” has already declared that candidate is not a serious candidate. So a lot of progressives won’t even bother.

Just voting out incumbents if we can, won’t fix the problem. It is much deeper than that.

We grew up in a great time, 50’s and 60’s and were able to prosper with semi good paying jobs for the time. I feel very fortunate to have grown up in those times and it is more devastating for us to see the direction this country has went. We know there is a better way, corporations were rich but civic minded even though they were paying 70 and 50 percent in Taxes. What they did was reinvest in their products and services and workers. Labor now is just a real annoyance to them, community be damned.

You are very right.
I suggest that for the weak minded. Something you are not. Understanding that there will be no change for you within the system demands answers outside of the system. I like not paying taxes. Do not be part of the programed happy America that is; drop the phone and social media. Do not buy what they sell. Self employment instead of wage slavery. Enjoy the freedom you get then monkey wrench like hell.

Some think that would be to hard to do or they could not be happy unless they send that half naked selfie but if one is already unhappy and uncomfortable with a system that survives by killing and taking from some for those already better off then it can be liberating.

There is no better example I can give of what happens when one is primarily focused on money then Trump and his family. That’s just ecky.

Lastly and this maybe hard for you, in order to survive what is coming one needs community. Find a good fit to survive.

A serious problem for the Democrats is many white people who are not doing well economically are not voting based on their economic interest. They oppose programs that would help them economically because they feel these programs are mainly helping blacks. No matter how much these white people are struggling economically the thing they dread the most is being on the bottom. They want to feel their is some group below them. For years they have been lied to in right wing media that it is mainly blacks who have been benefiting from programs like welfare and food stamps, So they vote Republican to maintain a status above blacks. The programs that are widely popular are those that are not means tested such as social security and Medicare. Everyone benefits from these programs so there is no sense it is mainly blacks that benefit. Ultimately perceived status counts more than economics when it comes to voting. As long as the right wing is successful lying about who benefits from social programs Democrats are going to have problems getting support from whites.

Like I have said before, the pendulum swings back and forth. First it’s the republicans, then the democrats, then the republicans, then the democrats, again and again and again and nothing ever changes for the better. But half of the country is going to put their undeserved trust in the democrats again, and again just as in the last 38 years they will be left scratching their heads wondering what in the hell happened, AGAIN! The democratic party has proven itself worthless to the people just as the republicans have. It’s time for workers and the poor to unite to create a workers party. A party that will fight for the workers and poor people of this country. United, workers and the poor people of this country are a voter block larger than any other in this country. Throw the republicans and democrats overboard and chart a new course, or suffer the status quo that we have suffered for the last 38 years. By the way, Nancy Pelosi is worth $200+ million, meanwhile Chuck Schumer, one of the poor boys of the democratic party is only worth $1 million, yet when was the last time you heard of a millionaire helping everyday regular people?

The underlying problem face is one of time. With time on your side you could punish that Congress Critter you speak of , giving the Republican the win wherein after a few elections lost the type of person claiming to be representing your views (and others such as yourself) become more genuine.

With Climate Change , with the threat of Nuclear war and with Global Catastrophe the world over , there just no TIME for that. The question then becomes “would electing this Congress Critter that I do not like and who does not represent my views , just so that Republican does not get in” make a lick of difference.

I don’t think so. Every time these cretins lose to Republicans their conclusion is they need to move more to the RIGHT, god damn it.

The only solution I can think of is to switch to ranked choice at the state level.

How quaint. A revolution. Watering the tree of liberty with the blood of patriots and tyrants. A real good ol’ 18th century solution to a 21st century problem. Just “take up arms,” start a war, overthrow and kill, and then live happily ever after.

If you have a problem, start a war, kill people and solve the problem. How very American you are.

Well let us just say when the Progressive Conservatives and then The Liberals were left out in the Wilderness here in Canada due to there being a Reform Party (To the right of the Conservatives and bleeding away votes) and then the NDP (to the left of the Liberals and bleeding away votes) , The Conservatives moved to the Right and the Liberals to the left.

Now I continue to vote Green even with them only having one seat in Parliament but that because I have decided that as far as the Environment is concerned there NO other choices that will make things better. In a perfect world as more people voted Green one whould she the mainstream parties concluding that the Environment IS an important issue , but this hardly a perfect world.

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

Who are Schumer’s “we?”