Home | About | Donate

The Biotech Trade Empire Strikes Back—at USDA!

The Biotech Trade Empire Strikes Back—at USDA!

Steve Suppan

The American Farm Bureau organized letter on proposed new rules regulating genetically engineered (GE) crops is short, just two pages, with three pages of agribusiness signatories, 103 organizations. The authors don’t address the agency proposing a new rule—the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service (APHIS).

I appreciate CD posting this article. This stuff is very important! We will never hear this side of things such as this from the corporate media! It seems to me that the giant agribusiness corporations and the chemical industries, through their various lobbying groups are pretty much dictating policy to the regulatory agencies to a greater and greater degree. They always seem to get what they want, which is, first and foremost, profits. Profits before people, and profits before the rest of the biosphere. The hubris here is astounding! The idea of re-engineering eons of natural selection, adaptation, and evolution is fraught with unforeseen consequence potential, and the public is woefully uninformed, and certainly has no say in it.

I wonder whom this author is intending to educate or influence. At 32 words per sentence and a Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level of 18.3, it's certainly not your average person with some college or a 4-year college degree. Thus, I doubt it's the average family farmer (see https://www.iatp.org/about regarding the Website blog where this article was initially published ). I believe most readers here on CD will quit reading after the first few paragraphs. Too bad; because, this is a critical issue.

This is a lot like many of industry led policies dominating politics, however, the truth has a way of coming to our attention eventually. One thing you can count on is the greed inherent in this bottom line type of thinking. Farmers are changing their practices and tired of being ripped off. Chemical companies are being sued for their health destructive practices and policy.

I struggled through it, wondering how many others would just give up. Thanks for the link.

Same here. It wasn't easy, but I managed to get the gist of it. Enough to make me very concerned!