Home | About | Donate

The Blood Of Innocents Is On Our Hands

The Blood Of Innocents Is On Our Hands

Eugene Robinson

Why do we make it easier to amass an arsenal of weapons of war than to get a driver’s license or register to vote?

The guns most often used in these mass shootings are variations on rifles designed for soldiers to carry into combat. They are not optimized for killing rabbits or deer, but for killing people. They have no business in civilian hands.

It’s not political; it’s cultural. Americans love guns, and will not restrict access to them. We, as a society, consistently decide that mass shootings are an acceptable trade-off for unlimited access to guns. If we cared about mass shootings, we would restrict access to weapons of mass destruction. We don’t, as decades of mass shootings with no discernible, effective responses prove. It’s been going on for so long now that it represents a choice as opposed to a problem.

This is not to say that some Americans don’t oppose easy access to WMDs–many of us do–but we are the minority in a culture that, as a whole, accepts the trade-off as stated. And the hand-wringing and (useless) prayers from the likes of Gov. Gregg Abbott that follow each event? I’m not persuaded. Few people lamenting this home-grown terrorism even notice when U.S. drones or Seal Teams slaughter innocent families in far away places, paid for by our taxes and splashing us with blood. I would guess most of these Texas Christians are (or were) 100% behind the U.S. “war on terror” (aka “war on Islam”). When it happens at home, it’s an “horrific tragedy;” when our military does it to others, it’s “collateral damage.” And the answer every time? More guns! For everyone! Guns in church. Guns in schools. Guns at concerts. Guns everywhere! U.S.A.! U.S.A!

AlanMacDonald • an hour ago

Posted and Published as written
on NYT Editorial Board today — including all comments on guns, and
EMPIRE ---- I’m amazed, and even proud of the “Times”!!!

Hopefully, as Dylan sang, “The Times They Are A Changin”

Yes, “Mass Shootings Don’t Have to Be Inevitable” — but they will be until powerful ‘opinion-setting’ media, like the NYT, start exposing the marketing ‘strategic-narrative’ synergy between the little NRA and the global Weapons Makers, as I posted yesterday in the “Times”:

The financially poor little domestic NRA, it’s powerless members, and its barely profitable domestic small-arms makers are nothing but a tiny marketing foil for the 1000x more profitable and massively powerful, but laughably described, ‘Defense Industry’ — which funds this ‘front organization’, purely because the NRA’s ‘marketing message’ of “The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a (bigger) gun”.

The leading global weapons makers (70%+ American) — which G.B Shaw aptly called the “Merchants of Death”, and which Emperor Trump is currently shilling for in Japan (as all American faux-Emperor/presidents have done since the end of the Second World War of Empires), constitutes the real power (and money) behind their little NRA lobbying ‘front men’.

Of course, until at least 3% to 5% of Americans realize that they are merely powerless ‘subjects’ of this first in world history; ‘effectively-Disguised’, ‘truly-Global’, and crony ‘Capitalist-fueled’ EMPIRE and fire a; loud, public, ‘in the streets’, but totally non-violent “Shout (not shot) heard round the world” nothing will ignite an essential Second American people’s peaceful patriotic “Political Revolution Against Empire”

BTW, Chris [Hedges], as I mentioned here before — your influence outside the “Times” has been great, but perhaps with the changin’ of the “Times”, you might find even more inside someday.

Hell, Chris, I might even be tempted to hope even more and reprise LBJ’s reaction to that old Walter Cronkite Moment about the Vietnam War — “If the Empire has lost the “Times”, ‘we the American people’ might just gain our democracy back”

Notice that Abbott would not even talk about gun debates only “prayers.” What good would that do- weren’t the people in that church praying already? Yes, they prayed then many got killed. This country is insane. The NRA was not even sorry after Sandy Hook. And I am sick of hearing about mental illness. I think that seriously mentally ill people who have been institutionalized cannot legally acquire a weapon anyway, plus mentally ill people are not necessarily violent- in fact often the opposite.

Roughly half of our active voters are “mentally ill” in terms of their gun fetish. Sadly this is the half that now controls our “lawmakers”, most of whom serve deep-pocket lobbyists. Our outrage will not change the situation unless we all unite in our opposition and vote out of office all those who do the will of the NRA. By their (in-)actions they have chosen sides. We must choose sides also!

" Notice that Abbott would not even talk about gun debates only " prayers."

Nothing wrong with sincere prayers, but so many times it is used insincerely as a way to cop out and distract…as in this case!

Yes, I feel the same way, and prayers do not change these horrid situations.

Eugene I am surprised to see that you are a Black man asking this question. Why? Because to me it’s abundantly overwhelmingly clear WHY the NRA is how it is: IT’S THE RACISM.

Americans love guns, yes… but only white Americans seem to be able to purchase them legally and by the truckload. And only white Americans can open-carry their guns in open-carry states.

Black people are all-too-often refused licenses to buy guns legally. And they sure AF can’t open-carry them anywhere whatsoever.

So yeah: this is about arming white citizens as backup for the Klan-infested, armed-to-the-teeth, racist as hell Police forces across the country.

We ALL need to wake the hell up to reality. It not only can happen here, it is happening here. Now.

‘Why do we make it easier to amass an arsenal of weapons of war than to get a driver’s license or register to vote?’

Because there is a love-affair between the gun manufacturers and the politicos, and the old-time, ‘black and white movie’ cliche applies
: 'Don’t try to struggle against it, Darling. It’s bigger than both of us.'
Except that, minus the term of endearment, it’s addressed to Joe and Jane Public, concerning the mutual love-in of those aforementioned arch-malefactors…

I personally believe that this is becoming an issue where gun-control supporting politicians like Chris Murphy are playing it too politely.

He’d be better off taking on the NRA in bold terms: bloodthirsty, greedy, lying babykillers.

As the saying goes: “Prayer: when you care enough to do the very least.”

Isn’t that the truth? The question is also- prayers for what and who?