Home | About | Donate

The Bullshit Era

The Bullshit Era

Ezra Rosser

In the middle of the Bush II Presidency, a literary classic was published: Harry G. Frankfurt’s On Bullshit. Printed as an abnormally small hardback that was perfect for tucking into a pocket or for pulling out surreptitiously, the not-so-serious book adopted a serious approach to the topic of bullshit. We are now at the start of an era that sadly might be remembered by future generations, assuming of course that independent free thought survives, as the era of bullshit.

Yep, and Bush/Cheney was just the warm-up band...
(:musical_note:...and the beat [on civil liberties] goes on...:musical_note:)

The new mantra of the Donald administration,, " if you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with bullshit "

The United States has run on bullshit for a very long time. We're more aware now because Trump is a master at it. Democratic politicians can only dream about being as good a bullshit artist as Trump.

Hillary & Dem sellout establishment lost because of everyone and everything but themselves: Bullshit!

trump "won" because he is brilliant and tells the truth: Bullshit!

The Clintons & Obama are not arrogant, self-serving, lying, big-money/corporate/banker war-machine shills: Bullshit!

Obama couldn't accomplish anything because of R'Con opposition: Bullshit!

The Dems will reform under more Schumer, Pelosi, Clintons & Obama: Bullshit!

Sanders would have won the election: accurate

Does the fact that people like this author were silent on the issue of bs throughout the Obama administration mean that this article itself is bs?

All of these anti-Trump articles indicate how transparent his bs is. The Democrats' game of pretending to be for the working class, pretending to be protectors of the environment, pretending to be less war-eager and pretending to stand up to Republicans in Congress, suggests the opposite of what you wrote.

Some Trump voters I have talked to say that although they don't believe him, they never believed Democrats either, so why not vote for somebody who is more blatantly unbelievable. Unfortunately, they will find out that while both Trump and the Democrats are sociopaths, Trump is borderline psychopath.

Most politicians tell falsehoods at a rate of 20 percent. Trump speaks false statements at a rate of 70 percent. He is a master of bullshit.

The difference is, in this election cycle at least, is that voters found Trump's bullshit exciting at the very least, unlike the democrats who just repeat the same bullshit election after election. That is what presidential elections are, contests to see who can give out the best bullshit. That is why Sanders wasn't allowed to get the nomination, he is too honest and genuine.

Why so much personal BS from Drumpf? Just maybe the personality disorder of narcissist, as that entails a lot of bull shitting:

DSM-5 criteria for narcissistic personality disorder include these symptoms:

• Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner

• Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance

• Exaggerating your achievements and talents

• Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate

• Requiring constant admiration

• Having a sense of entitlement

• Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it

• Taking advantage of others to get what you want

• Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others

• Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by
    associating with equally special people

• Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations

• Being envious of others and believing others envy you

"People with narcissistic personality disorder are most likely to seek
treatment when they develop symptoms of depression — often _because of perceived criticisms or rejections."
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/symptoms/CON-20025568

I think this helps to explain why he has such thin skin. He has a wellspring of depression hiding below, waiting to erupt. Probably goes all the way back to childhood. I think I understand depression well from a lifetime of personal experience. One of the best definitions is "anger turned inward". But often, that is expressed as anger toward others.

Maybe if the criticisms and rejections become unbearable, he will seek treatment? Naw--just bullshitting ya.

Rather than call BS, my preference would be to spit all of these ruling class sociopaths in the face on both side of the aisle.

DID THEY EXPECT US TO TREAT THEM WITH ANY RESPECT?

Back in 2002 there was a 40th anniversary program for George Carlin to celebrate his 4 decades in show business. I remember that he went to some length in his routine to explain that America was a country that was full of bullshit. Four years later he told Keith Olbermann that "this country is finished". He was certainly right about the former and he may very well have been right about the latter. I am deeply ashamed that we have descended to such a level and I'm sure that much of the rest of the world is looking on in disbelief as to what we have sunk to. Trump will be the most reckless, corrupt and repressive "president" we have ever had and he and his appalling Cabinet and other appointments will do "yuuge" damage to the United States.

The more relevant label for our era is the period of "the sixth extinction," and our species is likely to be one of the victims--with the possibility, even, that LIFE PER SE will be a victim!

So? Do you have any useful suggestions like helping people and animals?

Hey, I like this!

Just because "this country" has sunk does not mean you have to also. If you continue to help others, you are doing more than your part. Perhaps we can all pick a cause , and communicate about what we are doing instead of just belly aching and commenting.

And they are just plain stupid- especially the ones who voted for "rights of the unborn." Sounds like a cult.

Don't the "rights of the unborn" cult's edicts apply only to aborted unborn and not miscarried unborn ?