Home | About | Donate

The Burden of More Than 150 Years of Warfare

The Burden of More Than 150 Years of Warfare

Nick Turse

America has been committed to supporting the veterans of its wars since long before it had “United States of” in front of it. “It was a fearful sight to see them thus frying in the fire... horrible was the stink and scent thereof,” William Bradford wrote after soldiers of the Massachusetts Bay Colony massacred a village of native Pequots. Later, the Pilgrims gave thanks to their veterans by passing a law to support wounded soldiers of the campaign. The U.S.

Nick, thank you for writing on this issue! Also please note that Americans were protecting their veterans long centuries before the Europeans came over and began decimating the continent. Also, thank you very much for posting the alert to the brilliant, excellent article by Ann Jones on Veterans Health Care, and the mess made of it.

Veterans are used, but even if some are too young and full of jingoist brainwashing to realize that, many of us joined because there are no jobs. At least the draft made some of us realize that we were being used, but the volunteer military turns us into mercenaries for the oligarchy.

Pity the USA reneged on its promise to pay $4 billion in reparations to Vietnam, and couldn't give a damn about the trauma it has caused to human beings in other countries.I don't suppose that the descendents of those fried Pequod Indians got a cent, either.

Paying the descendents of a women widowed during the USA's civil war seems to be rather silly, if not a trifle extravagant.

The MIC cannot do war without bodies...hence the rise of the mercenaries. American mercenaries and others from around the world now provide the necessary "forces" for a long, long time.
If a US soldier in the ME cost $1 million a year, and a contractor costs 3X that, just look at the bargain rate one could get from recuiting death squads from South American regimes, and others sunk in relative poverty.
Drones are fantastically expensive, it's all expensive.
I suggest it will end when we decide not to pay for it and put the money into social safety nets, free education, infrastructure, and green installations everywhere.
A choice to to live or die.