Home | About | Donate

The Case for Stacey Abrams

The Case for Stacey Abrams

Krystal Ball

To run or not to run, that is the question Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams has pondered aloud as she makes the rounds promoting the reissue of her 2018 book. Abrams has a number of options to consider. She could run for Senate in 2020. She could wait and take another crack at governor in 2022. Or, she could jump into the already swirling pool of Democratic presidential hopefuls.

Why not run? The 2020 Presidential campaign, whatever else, is the political careerist advancement tour; unprecedented opportunism to all. .

1 Like

Yep, just what the d-party needs.

Another centrist candidate for president who ran a close second in a red state.

2 Likes

Any decent leadership is welcome when they vie for THE PEOPLE.

Since this capable woman has some of the capacity to relate to average workers that’s a positive as I see it. But her chance of getting nominated I see as slim so how about running for the Senate or as a Representative in her district? A lot of these people in Congress can accomplish more than a president. However, if she wants to toss her hat into the ring let her, ya never know, as they say.

1 Like

Personally, I think we already have better options. Not a dig on Abrams, but I think her power would be better severed in the senate/congress/governership (the one that was stolen from her would be nice).
I want diversity and many voices, but there’s a practical side to it. Already, the debates will be of minimal use given the large field, - which while providing broader discussion, also limits the time each candidate can spend in the “debates.” The debates themselves already allow only for “soundbite” sized debates - which are often disappointing.
So to my mind, we don’t need more competent folks, but instead a good venue and debate format for the ones we already have.
Peace

By all means, make this the year of the clown car primaries, where all these candidates who can’t win in the general election fracture the electorate so that the Democrats end up with a brokered convention where the super-delegates pick the candidate.

Without blatant voter suppression and gaming the vote by her opponent who did not recuse himself as Secretary of State overseeing the election, Abrams was actually the winner in GA 2018. Not to claim she’s my ideal candidate, just saying.

Not happy to see Abrams defending Joe Biden. While her statement is certainly true that “perfection” should not be demanded, Biden is far beyond “imperfect.” Aside from his public record of “imperfect” sexism, male prerogative, and functionally racist policies, he’s a terrible candidate for common people, serially sold out to big finance and the MIC.

i hope there are candidates for the Democratic nomination, on the campaign trail and on the debate stage, who have the plain-spoken guts to just speak Biden’s record.

2 Likes