Home | About | Donate

The Christchurch Terrorist's Manifesto Is a Hideous Document, But Banning Possession of It Is Not the Solution

The Christchurch Terrorist's Manifesto Is a Hideous Document, But Banning Possession of It Is Not the Solution

Richard Stallman

New Zealand has declared it illegal to possess a copy of the Christchurch terrorist's manifesto.

The manifesto reportedly calls for mass murder. (I've got better things to do than read it. Smells like shit, why taste it?) To make it a crime to call for murder is proper; the only issue is where to draw the line.

Excellent point from the legendary RMS.

The proper response to stupid, hateful speech is smart, loving speech. Banning gives legitimacy where none is warranted.

1 Like

Censorship assumes that we are all too stupid to decide what’s best for us. Illegality makes dictators.

1 Like

So sad it’s necessary to point this stuff out; it should be so obvious.

I’m also sorry that Stallman felt it necessary to say that the so-called manifesto “smells like shit, so why taste it.” Because this should be obvious, too. It’s not necessary to weaken your argument with weasel words like “I wouldn’t read it, but…” It’s just the “but” part that’s important.

After reading the article, I immediately downloaded the thing in question, simply because that’s how I react when authorities tell me that I’m “not allowed” to see something. I’m sure others have done the same.

There is extreme danger in allowing one individual to serve as an “official censor” telling us all what we can’t look at.

2 Likes