Home | About | Donate

'The Clock Is Ticking': Bernie Sanders Calls on Senate to Act Quickly on Covid Relief Bill

And Weed Wacker’s it will be

1 Like

Actually I think the 3 trillion house plan is not enough. We need a UBI and universal health coverage. They need to go big really big to get us through this. Don’t listen to the corporate whores who are just interested in their stock prices, instead go really big and maybe declare a year of Jubilee and debt forgiveness around the world. Anything less is just giving into corporate whores.

10 Likes

Did you know there are more privately owned guns in america than government owned ones? sure they have helicopters, drones, artillery, grenades etc, but american soldiers are not America hating cops, they are American citizens firstly, and to a large extent they have been brainwashed into believing in the land of the free and the home of the brave hogwash. It is likely that many, if not a majority, would side with their families and fellow citizens than the fascist police, who signed up with abuse and killing of Americans in mind. When American soldiers join forces with citizens to defeat the NAZI, they will be bringing much of the equipment and training with them. In the NAZI States of America, non violence, as we have seen is interpreted as terrorism and met with violence, just as vast populations of Ghandi supporters were exterminated by the British. Non violence is considered no differently than a violent act, and violence ensues - initiated by the fascists in every case, but ultimately the outcome is extreme violence against the peaceful Americans, not the NAZI’s. As long as it costs them nothing, (and that’s what human lives are worth to NAZI’s, nothing), they will just go on doing what they love, murdering and killing the innocent. When Ghandi protested, he won because there was some humanity in the British troops, who’s culture was steeped in rule of law and other notions of civility and ethics; they lost their stomach for the overt mass murder and ceased. With American NAZI’s, (federal mercenaries), I doubt such moral scruples will apply.

I agree with your points about the corrupt and I believe unfixable Democratic Party----the duopoly/oligarchy and yes, I believe murderous system that calls the shots (literally and figuratively) in the u.s.

With that said I did hope there would be momentum for Sanders supporters. You might say that I was duped! So be it, I was.

There was a time after his early victories in the presidential primaries I really believed (I know, I was delusional) things could move in the direction of change . .

I thought the whole “us, not me” thing was gaining traction and power.

But the power structure of the Dem party is massive as you know.

And self proclaimed neoliberal and/or willfully ignorant voters who vote blue no matter what do not want to see how horrific the Clintons (et al) were and still are to this day.

Obama, together with Jim Clyburn helped swat away —as if it was just a pesky gnat— any progressive momentum.
And I’m talking about momentum of people that endorsed Sanders before he dropped out in April:
h-ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bernie_Sanders_2020_presidential_campaign_endorsements

That is a huge list.

BUT---- the Dem PTB would not allow this to happen. They simply “waved away” the pesky progressives as Bill Clinton chuckles about in this speech he gave at the Lewis memorial service in link below.

This is how empowered, entitled, and pathological they are.

It is right here in these nauseating words of Bill Clinton (rapist, predator, neoliberal POS):

h-ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWoSOh7CbLA

Christo Aivalis:

At the memorial service for John Lewis, Bill Clinton specifically thanked Jim Clyburn “for ending, with a stroke of his hand,” the Bernie Sanders campaign when he and later Barack Obama united the Democratic Party establishment, not in an effort to elect Joe Biden, but to use Biden to block Bernie Sanders While none of this is a surprise to progressives, establishment figures and media denied their was any anti-Bernie coordination. But this remark by Bill Clinton shows otherwise.

2 Likes

No. But Moscow Mitch had some help. More than a few ‘progressive bills’
were sent to the senate knowing damn well they would not see the light
of day.

If the democrats were honest they would sent a bill for universal public
health care funded with a tax on the fat cats. Why not? It would offend
their owners. Make your own list at this point … instead they broke
their finger poking the ‘YES’ button for a $780,000,000,000 military budget.

1 Like

Strange that detractors of the 700+ billion budget give no pros and cons, nor any links to discussions of the budget from democrats. We know what they did, but what are the concrete reasons why.
Was there bait, unacceptable things in it etc.

Thanks for your perspective, but are you advocating violence in place of non-violence?

Yeah, there was bait in it. That is why the Dems voted for it in mass.

Do not feel bad Caroline so was I in 2016, but thank goodness I recognized the DNC con in 2020! And realized that when Bernie said: " IT IS NOT ABOUT ME" Bernie spoke the truth but failed to add: " IT’S ABOUT THEM’!

2 Likes

A pause for a moment of pride: United States astronauts just splashed down safely from their mission!

It starts with the fences around the WH and Portland’s federal courthouse. Will it end with the gates coming down around all those super rich gated communities? The rich are nervous and the poor and desperate are sick of the divide. Will this inaction become the final straw? Probably not. The mainstream media, Pelosi, Schumer, and anyone who can do anything about this could care less it seems.

1 Like

Thousand likes/hearts to give you if I could . . . . .
Did you just think of “its not about me, it’s about them”!??
That is great----- LOL! (though tragically dark humor)
Well said!

I agree with most of your post, but even Wall Street now sees the peoples stimulus has kept the economy afloat during this pandemic, and has encouraged congress to go much bigger in economic bailout for the people this time.

"The continuing Republican inaction on the relief bill is tantamount to sin, Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II and Rev Dr Liz Theoharis wrote for Common Dreams Sunday:

Our government’s abandonment of the people—in the midst of the greatest public health crisis in a century and an economic downturn that could rival the Great Depression (it was just announced that US GDP fell by annualized rate of 32.9% in the second quarter of 2020, the greatest collapse of the US economy in a single quarter in history)—is sin of the highest order. The ancient words of the Prophet Isaiah ring with unnerving relevance today: “Woe to you who legislate evil, who rob the poor of their rights, making women and homeless children your prey.”

New York State Assemblymember Yuh-Line Niou tweeted her support for Sanders’ call to action.

“My family needs this,” said Niou. “My neighbors need this. My community needs this.”

Amen.

2 Likes

“The Clock Is Ticking”.

And there’s only 100 seconds to midnight.

1 Like

I suggest that you not second guess yourself for wanting to believe in those political figures promising to fight for the America you want it to be. After all, what can we do but listen to what they say and try to determine if they are sincere in their promises? Problem is, we can’t know for sure until they’ve had the chance to prove themselves.

Consider Obama in 2008. I supported his candidacy, not because I thought he was a fully committed progressive, but because he made specific promises to fight for several key things that I thought were crucial to the nation’s future. For me, it was his promises to fight for a public healthcare option and to hold accountable the white collar criminals responsible for the Great Recession. As it turned out, we knew pretty quickly that Obama was a fraud. And it’s not that he tried and failed; it’s that he never tried, never intended to genuinely try. Do you remember the tremendous amount of political capital the man started with? People were waiting with baited breath for him to come out of the chute and lead them in big ways. Imagine what could he have accomplished had he been sincere in his promises.

You say you hoped there would be momentum for Sanders supporters. Well, try to remember the incredible momentum Sanders had amassed by the time it was clear that the Dems had totally rigged the campaign and system. Millions wanted him to step up and make happen that political revolution he professed to want so badly. Turned out that Sanders’ promise was no more sincere than was Obama’s. Had Sanders taken his candidacy third party in the 2008 campaign ( the Greens offered him the keys to their Party), think of where he could be going into this 2020 election. What a terrible loss of opportunity. And as the 2008 campaign unfolded, it became clear that Sanders was not that political revolutionary, a fact only confirmed by his latest sellout. We can be seriously disappointed but we ought not be surprised.

All we can do is keep on trying, but we can learn from what’s gone before. My big point in posting here of late, is simply to highlight what I believe is as clear as it might possibly be - that the Republicans and the Democrats will never again be a viable option for the average American and that the only hope for our futures and the futures of those we care about is to establish a political party that will be genuinely accountable to us and ours. It would be a hard fought, long shot of a victory, but it is possible.

2 Likes

The “average American” republican has no quarrel with the republican party. The “average American” democrats know they are boxed in with a split party. Can’t win elections with a split party. All of the things spoke of here won’t happen.
We have been the frog in the pot for so long now that we wouldn’t jump out, even if we remembered how.
Bernie’s long standing record is likely the only reason he gets any traction on his proposals.
Then they go to the dead on arrival graveyard, know as Mitch’s desk.

Thank you for your kind words. Shanti

1 Like

If Bernie had been legit, if he’d really been prepared to fight for that political revolution he was selling, to fight in the only way it could possibly happen, I say that frog you speak of would definitely have jumped right out of the pot and wholeheartedly into Bernie’s third party effort. Millions of frogs were primed and ready to do just that, and they’d be staring a 2020 election victory square in the face right now. What they needed and wanted and never got was a committed leader; that’s where Bernie failed them, for a charismatic and fully committed leader is crucial to such a movement.

I do wonder if meaningful numbers of those Republican voters would come over to a genuinely progressive political party. And maybe I’d better define what I mean by a progressive party. I’m talking about a political party that’s genuinely committed to the best interests of the people at large, that would fight for public policy that would nurture, support and enrich the lives of the little guys and gals, the just plain folks of us. Frankly, I think Sanders big campaign items have been good examples of such policies. It’s just that, despite his rhetoric, he’s not been committed to doing whatever’s necessary to getting there.

Anyway, I wonder if respectable numbers of those supporting the Republicans might come to such a party if they actually thought the party was genuine in its commitment to fight for their interests, bottom line stuff like a fair wage, more and better paying jobs, decent healthcare, government funded higher education for their kids - well, you get the picture. Would they opt into a party that was truly going to look after their interests and the futures of their children? I don’t know but I suspect that lots of them would.

2 Likes

Oh come come now, Bernie ran a great campaign and had a strong grassroots following. Unless their was some cheating republicans altering the votes, it’s the American left-wing voters that are to blame. After they failed him he had no obligation to fight any further. He has proudly and honorably stayed in a supportive roll and still works hard everyday.
I think some people here have to walk in someone else’s shoes for a while until they understand the dedication to hard daily campaigning.

4 Likes