Home | About | Donate

The Collapse of the Obama Doctrine: Yemen War as an Opportunity?

The Collapse of the Obama Doctrine: Yemen War as an Opportunity?

Ramzy Baroud

To suggest that the United States policies in Yemen was a ‘failure’ is an understatement. It implies that the US had at least attempted to succeed. But ‘succeed’ at what? The US drone war had no other objective aside from celebrating the elimination of whomever the US hit list designates as terrorist.

So what really happened? Did the Seven Sisters discover oil off Yemen? Were they going to ditch the USD and turned themselves into terrorists?

I think Ramzy Baroud, whom I generally respect a great deal, fails to see that destabilization is the name of the game when it comes to US policy in the Middle East. Divide et impera, 21st-century schizoid Neocon style. In this respect, all of these murderous wars are successes, whether they entirely destroy a country through direct intervention, as in the case of Iraq and Libya, or whether they almost entirely destroy a country through proxy intervention, as in the case of Syria. It's a mistake to think that the US, whether under Obama or Bush, had any intention of making functioning states of such nations. With little or no unified governance in these countries, the corporate and underworld mafias have free rein to bleed them of resources, dignity, and revenues, while the garrison state of Israel can continue its land grabs relatively unmolested. Mission accomplished.

Yep, it's "The Grand Chessboard" at eighteen years--really maturing nicely, no? Next I expect to see TPTB to hit the "puree" button.

"the US, although will carry on with its saber-rattling (as Iran will surely do as well) " Just what saber has Iran been rattling? This equivalence and pox on both their houses is BS and I would have expected better of Mr. Baroud who knows full well how that works when it comes to Israel and Palestine where it is used so often for duplicitous purposes.