Home | About | Donate

The Cost Of Doing (BIG) Business

The Cost Of Doing (BIG) Business

Laura Flanders

“The cost of doing business.” That’s what corporations call it when they claim a deduction from their taxes for the damage they’ve done to people and the planet. It’s a cost of doing business all right; a cost to us, of doing business with them the way we currently do it, and it’s just one of the reasons so many people are calling for a whole new system.

While many of us agree with the principle of local control of local resources, I hope that the Institute for Local Self Reliance understands that the organization of local political resources must be done with an eye toward action at the state level.

Municipalities have no standing in the US Constitution which deals with the federal and state levels only. Any policies adopted at the local level can easily be overridden by corrupt state legislatures and governors.

mcp

Good point - and I look to the regional Co-op structures as a cutting edge (maybe we should change that euphemism) in the Friere tradition of taking the problems most oppressive and make them the classroom. This something Occupy did a splendid job in modeling.
Also increasingly being placed in sharp relief is the State bank model of North Dakota. Of specific note - this must be a state decision and I'd imagine Wiconsin and ALEC should be scrutinized for potential chewing at the edges to prevent the formation of state banks a la Dakota.
The more I think about tit, because of the human side of global exchange - in the local - the best of humanity that has been demonized and criminalized by the parasitic model of globalization - has been able to reach our brother and sister rednecks despite the oppression these folks have been subjected to. These folks know 'the company store' model - there are books that need to written there and conversations that are burning to be joined.
The goal is the journey - and these boots have been made for walkin'.

TTP, TTIP and other transfers of judicial authority disguised as trade agreements will eliminate any local, state or federal control of all things economic or environmental. Global corporate tribunals will have total control.

Treaties can only override local and state rules and regulations. They cannot override the US Constitution. Accordingly, states will have the standing to challenge these treaties in Court on Constitutional grounds; municipalities cannot do that.

I'll grant that, given the current fascistic makeup of the federal judiciary, such a challenge would probably be doomed to failure for the foreseeable future. But the makeup of the courts has changed in that past and will do so again.

mcp

Gaming the victims