Home | About | Donate

The Crisis: Regeneration or Degeneration?

The Crisis: Regeneration or Degeneration?

Ronnie Cummins

"If governments won’t solve the climate, hunger, health, and democracy crises, then the people will." —Dr. Vandana Shiva, speaking at the founding meeting of Regeneration International, La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica, June 8, 2015

I agree with the Do It Yourself spirit of the movement and with the efficacy of soil regeneration as a strategy for achieving ecological and political goals. Most of the kinds of actions mentioned, however, are too global - too focused on nations and international gatherings and protesting existing institutions (which are indifferent to protest). DIY activity is by definition local, and the change you call for in land use practices will not be instituted by any existing corporation or government - local farmers will be doing that by themselves as well.

As I see it, unless the power to make decisions about land and resources is wrested away from the people who wield it now, efforts like yours will not make enough of an impact in the amount of time - not much, it seems - that we have to fix things. What we really need is some new thinking about how to do that - a plan for rebuilding society on a small scale through a strategy of local self-determination, of resettling the land hearth-by-hearth and neighborhood-by-neighborhood and then exercising sovereignty over it. A tall order to be sure, but it may be the only way still available to create a large field of exercise for an idea like soil regeneration.

Brian Lloyd
occupythehearth@blogspot.com

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

There are some and there will be more objections that power must be taken from those who have led the abuses that have brought us to crisis. This is accurate enough.

However, this movement or a movement or movements like this must be part of executing that. Because we do not just wish to change the name of the ruler or rulers, it does not work to protest at the ballot and in the streets but pay for the politicians, the soldiers, the police, and the drones that will oppose us when we pay for water, food, transport, energy, residence, and medicine.

Moreover, when the current system falters, the system that supplants it will not do so much because it is best, because we have theorized it, or even because we have fought for it so much as because it sustains us, because it arranges water, food, transport, energy, residence, and medicine.

The point of this movement is not that people should imagine themselves apolitical, though there are enough who do. It is in itself a movement to take power, and a movement to federate individuals and groups, including many who have diverged considerably from the larger community.

The point is that insofar as an alternate and less damaging economy may be created and maintained, the motives for materially supporting the vested interests of the current abusive economy and economic leadership are removed.

Does this mean that such leaders will release power without a struggle of some sort? No. It just means that people and movements that create a regenerative economy must be instrumental in that struggle, and eventually, in some sense, victorious.

Maybe crowdsourcing can help farmers in this case.. I'm hoping so anyway. The transition to no till from convential organic (heavy on tillage) can take a couple of years where yields are low. Eventually I believe it will surpass prevous yields, but farmers may not be able to take a hit for those yields. NRCS and USDA needs to support farmers making the shift... anyway I've compiled a video outlining the problem farmers face, would love a wider audience since it's a hot topic, just not sure how to get it out.. Yokayo Ranch Farm on facebook