Home | About | Donate

The Danger of the Sacred Soldier

The Danger of the Sacred Soldier

William Rivers Pitt

Any nation that does not care for its war veterans has no business making new ones.

Mario Tronti

The chosen photo reveals for whom the troops fight.

Bingo! hammer hits nails head square-on. Well done, WiseOwl, well done.

As bad a case as the author presents, the reality is much worse. This country is, and always has been, a warrior nation, supported and managed by a warrior cult, but it’s now deteriorated to the point of not even needing a reason to wage war. War is now fought for the sake of war. Winning or losing is irrelevant. Just keep the war machine running. If you can’t find an enemy, create one. Peace is never the real goal, it’s just a temporary lull in the action and a failure to keep the war machine running at top speed. Remember, the largest military in the world needs a training ground to put all it’s skills and technology into action.

It’s not only endless war, now, it’s also an endless war-time economy, as well, with trillions spent to support the parasites that feed upon it. Perhaps worst of all, despite the carnage being inflicted all across the globe by endless war, a strong military is the only way this country’s leaders can envision what makes a country great. They’ve lost the capacity to define greatness in another way.

This is what I posted on my Facebook wall:

I don’t celebrate Veterans Day; I remember Armistice Day AKA Remembrance Day. Until the McCarthy era change to make it a pro war day, it was a day to say “Never Again.”

It should be a day to feel sorrow for the pointless loss of those sacrificed on the altar of greed in war and to say to those who survived, “We are sorry for putting you through hell in wars that have nothing to do with freedom or security at home, but make things more dangerous and are to make the bastards, the super rich, richer. Sorry, you didn’t deserve that hell. Never Again.”

Trump gave the Congressional Medal of Honor to a Vietnam vet on tv the other day.

The veteran should not have accepted the medal from a Vietnam war draft dodger turned jingoist war monger.

Curious, his boss – the prictator – took 5 deferments to get out of wearing that uniform! However, he is right that the orangubrat is a lesser mortal.

Exactly. and it is still “Remembrance Day” every else in the world…

Our nation got mixed up a log time ago.

Our military is basically there to defend our country from those who would attack us and do us harm.

Right now, the United States is involved militarily in 134 countries.

What the hell are we doing in 134 countries?

We are creating terrorism and bankrupting our own nation, for what?

although i agree with much of what mr. pitt writes i feel he also falls into the “sacred soldier trap” himself.

My grandfather served in the Navy during World War II, and my father volunteered for Vietnam. No one respects a soldier’s sacrifice more than I do, but on this day of all days, it cannot just be about flags and bunting and a slick PR campaign featuring F-35s and AR-15s. The Sacred Soldier is being used deliberately to undermine and destroy the rights real soldiers have fought for and died to defend. Remember that, too.
i do understand that many young men volunteered for ww2 following japan’s attack on pearl harbor and again after the 9-11 event not because they hungered to be seen as heroes, but because they believed that the u.s. had been attacked. in their minds they came in self-defense mode. i just now conducted both a duckduckgo and google search to find what inspired some to volunteer to fight in nam. hmm? not much. i’m guessing fear of communism, right?

pitt asks us to remember “the rights real soldiers fought and died to defend.” most illogical it seems to me that the preferred way to defend our democratic freedoms is for young people–too young and immature even to run for congress; too young to take part in the decision making process–should give up all of their freedoms to protect those very same freedoms they sacrifice.

good catch, o wise one! the flag raised before the new york stock exchange. now that explains a lot!

the article brings up the controversy over flag burning. i think it was a pbs documentary that addressed how this controversy came to be. on the day following the assassination of martin luther king, jr, a black man, mourning the death of a great humanitarian, stepped out onto his porch and with tears running down his cheeks set his american flag afire. not only did he mourn the death of king, but also of his own lost faith in the american way and all that the flag had represented for him. “growing up is hard to do.” i found this discussion about flag desecration at wikipedia. especially shocking, i think, to see that some in congress wish to amend the bill of rights! the bill of rights empowers the people and limits government intrusion. how dare they even think such a thing!

Flag Desecration Amendment

The Flag Desecration Amendment (often referred to as the Flag-burning Amendment) is an American proposed law, in the form of constitutional amendment to the Bill of Rights, that would allow the U.S. Congress to prohibit by statute and provide punishment for the physical “desecration” of the flag of the United States. The concept of flag desecration continues to provoke a heated debate over protecting a national symbol, preserving free speech, and upholding the liberty said to be represented by that national symbol.

While the proposed amendment is frequently referred to colloquially in terms of expression of political views through “flag burning,” the language would permit the prohibition of all forms of flag desecration, which may take forms other than burning, such as using the flag for clothing or napkins.

The most recent attempt to adopt a flag desecration amendment failed in the United States Senate by one vote on June 27, 2006.[1][2]

Well put. I’ve never understood how killing and risking being killed in someone else’s country “defends” freedoms at home in any way whatsoever.

You cannot desecrate something that isn’t idolized. And to add anything about desecration of an object to the Constitution would specifically contradict the establishment clause.

Anyway, how do you amend the Bill of Rights? Renumber all the amendments that have followed?

My father served this “Country” voluntarily and honorably after Pearl Harbor was bombed during WWII.

Today’s military men and women serve the “Oligarchy” and their quest for financial enrichment and world domination through Empire building.

Our armed forces are being used to game the system to the tune of 50% of the budget. Great pay, great benefits, all you have to do is be willing to serve a master that puts profits and power before country.

Sacred soldiers are a thing of the past.

Now, the phrase “Sacred Cows” Seems more appropriate.

And please, let’s remember the veterans who survived physically, only to wind up taking their military skills out on their fellow Americans, for good or bad reasons. How can we have “celebrated” Veterans Day without mentioning the veteran (OK, with bad-conduct discharge) who shot up a church less than a week before, looking for his ex-wife’s mother? How can we ignore that immediate example of what military service, no matter how unsuccessful, can do to our children?

I was about to post the same …
Thanks …

So many of our soldiers chose to enlist b/c they believed that was the only way to ‘make something of themselves’ so they could return and find a good-paying job, or go to college on the GI Bill – what has happened to far too many of them is that fighting useless wars turned their brains to mush and made it impossible to think straight. When my husband first came home from Vietnam he became a cop, and there were a couple of vets in the town we lived in that had PTSD and would lose it pretty often, so when that happened a family member would call the PD and ask for Mike to talk them down – I think part of the reason Mike was able to deal with so much of his ptsd (lower case b/c his wasn’t as pronounced) was b/c he had the chance to talk about his own experiences during those times.

Eisenhower was right – we have completely capitulated to the MIC b/c the wars we’ve fought since Korea have been a complete waste of time, money, and lives.

It’s a particularly vicious cycle, this sacred-soldier thing. I’d like to sue the military branches for false advertising of what skills you might learn by enlisting, particularly the one that only shows JAGs and doctors. Piffle.

And to me it’s not so much the brains-to-mush as training out their human self-determination. I remember my step-nephew, one of the sweetest kids you’d ever see, hugging me goodbye at his HS graduation party and saying “Next time you see me, I’ll be a lean, mean, fighting Marine.” I haven’t had much contact with him since, but his stepbrother says that’s exactly what happened. And he lucked into being an embassy guard, advancing to Master Sgt and staying in long enough to have a pension to add to civilian pay. I do believe he went into law enforcement. So he’s a success story, that I find profoundly sad.

I worry about all the soldiers that are coming home to become cops, Mike’s experience turned out ‘okay’ but after a few years he couldn’t take it anymore and had to get out – he had a lot more trouble with anger, not being able to sleep, and drinking. Thankfully he got out rather than me having to divorce him. I dated him when we were both in HS and he was so different then, for a long time I thought I just hadn’t really known him then, but now I realize it is the effect that war has on people.

Good point about “training out their human self-determination” – I think you’re right, and I think it comes from them being so young – they haven’t had a chance to shape their lives or decide how they feel about things (just another way of saying self-determination) and in the military if they don’t follow orders they get disciplined ( hell of a good way to wipe-out self-determination)!

And it’s training in hate. You can’t think of the people you’re killing as people like you. We’ve grown a culture of scarcity, even in our religion, and of protecting mine. It ruins humanity.