Home | About | Donate

The Deadly Rule of the Oligarchs

A democratic landslide in 2018 would halt a fair amount of the horror that is now ongoing. It would not make the huge difference that is needed because Trump or Pence would likely have the final say and the executive branch of our government has a good deal of power all on its own. If and when the democrats gain overwhelming control, we will then have a better world, although still, not as good as we would like. If we could elect more Bernie Sanders types, who vote with the democrats, that would be wonderful.

While I usually agree with you, in this case, not so much. The rich can often buy their way into the MOST elite schools where they can more easily associate themselves with the powerful manipulators of our nation. Yes, there are other great schools, but they have become increasingly expensive, and therefore, practically out of reach of the poor. I believe the US is increasingly both oligarchic and fascist. We both agree that electing a majority of democrats will produce good things.

We were forewarned,“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.” - Adam Smith

Yes. If not for a boatload of family money George W. Bush couldn’t have won admission to bartending school, much less Yale.

I did misspell Jeremy’s name! JEREMY CORBYN ROCKS! American oligarchs’ “empire” has become so out-of-control, (So as to destroy our planet’s life zones!) - are so immorally racist towards “the other” - that history has very few examples that even come close! lol Rome? Hitler? Genghis Khan? The Dutch Slave traders? The British Empire?

The Reverend Doctor William J. Barber II is filling some historically essential moral shoes. He and The Moral Monday’s folks (and I and millions of American citizens) are compelled to take-up Martin’s call for a Moral Revival. It was MLK’s “Poor People’s Campaign”, when the white racists and “their” co-conspirators committed a wanton murder of Martin, almost 50-years to this day. So, We the Poor People, will gladly finish this historic calling for A Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival, as a call for our white supremacist brothers who have definitely lost “their/its” corporate minds.

All to the good, certainly. With the “president” and his billionaire Cabinet, though, the putative issue of who has wealth and who doesn’t has become, in my view, much more prominent. It was with that in mind that I made the suggestion that the moral aspect of the cause has more (as we used to say) mojo.

Great article Mr Hedges.

But what is the answer when right and left representatives are subverted by money, power, or threats?

If its not direct, its not democracy.

Right on, Chris, were the first words to leap to my mind too. Thank you for that great quote from Sheldon Wolin! I have to admit, shamefaced, to mis-thinking the bloated excesses of the powers-that-be on their own behalf are mere excrescences on an underlying democratic system that could somehow be lopped-off or shucked. But, no, this is the system, newly wrought and bought, by which humanity becomes well and truly fucked. And not in a good way. Even more horrifying!