Home | About | Donate

The Democracy Movement Is Here To Stay

The Democracy Movement Is Here To Stay

Joan Mandle , Adam Eichen

SuperPACs and billionaires are bankrolling our elections, and as a result, most Americans have virtually no influence in our political system—a damning state of affairs for the world’s oldest surviving democracy.

I am so jazzed to see this action in our nation's capital; I wish it was happening everywhere, but I'll have to wait. I am concerned with the muddling of demands and what is required to transform this broken democracy.

Although it was ten years before Citizens United and the creation of the first SuperPAC, in 2001 our democracy was already on life support. Those with money dominated political fundraising; corporate lobbyists had politicians on speed dial; and candidates talking about public financing of elections were mere urban legend.

This statement describes why overturning Citizens United is not enough. To fix the problem we have to abolish corporate constitutional rights and money as protected political speech, the two tools corporations use with equal fervor to steamroll We the People in our elections, economy, communities, and environment.

While I respect these two organizations, their prescription for democratic health doesn't exactly cure the disease.

This is a time for reflection. Come 2017, a majority of
Americans will still have their fingers tightly crossed, and hoping upon hope
that Clinton will do something to help them. But she is mired in the doctrines of
the neo-libs and neo-cons, and will always do their bidding, which means a
bandage for the rest. If we want everyone to do better, we will have to do it
ourselves. We will have to lay the groundwork properly, for a Warren-like
presidency in four or eight years.