Home | About | Donate

The Destructive Power Trips of Amazon’s Boss

The Destructive Power Trips of Amazon’s Boss

Ralph Nader
For his smallish stature, Amazon Boss Jeff Bezos has a booming, uproarious laugh. Unleashed during workdays, its sonic burst startles people, given it comes from as harsh and driven a taskmaster as exists on the stage of corporate giantism.

Is Bezos’s outward giddiness a worrisome reflection of what Bezos is feeling on the inside? Is he laughing at all of us?

well the decentralized web ......

Thank you Ralph, for another of your timely and astute analyses of our modern ever-creeping corporatism, and its effects on American culture and American's lives. You rock, and your warnings about behemoth Amazon are important for us to heed. I do not shop on Amazon, and will not. Millennials, though, like my son, appear to love it. How to compete with its vast array of choice in books, cds, tech objects, etc? The shop local and small movement has a huge challenge there.

Obama's Justice Department gave Bezos a pass on virtually everything. The only antitrust action was against publishers in the Apple eBook case

Spot-on analysis as always from Ralph Nader.

As with Wal-Mart, I refuse to buy anything from Amazon, and in the cases where a small Ebay seller or bookstore uses Amazon fulfillment, I send them a complaint about it.

Yup. Young people have trouble even imagining an alternative physical universe that does not have the Amazon.com corporation in it.

Seeing how not all that many older folks embrace the concept that ballot voting is of little or limited value for the 99%, and the only vote you cast that can actually influence a positive outcome is the vote you cast in the marketplace every time you spend a buck, why would we expect young people to understand it ?

I generally agree with all critiques of Bezos on principle. He's a world class ogre.

But I will say one thing in defense of Amazon: it's been a godsend to home-bound disabled.

It's a shame that the price for that service is all the bad things that Amazon brings with it.

Not seeing how this toothpaste gets shoved back in the tube. So, we should:

Organize workers at Amazon facilities.
Make Amazon and all online purchases subject to state sales taxes.
Add a '1% virtual property tax surcharge' to online purchases.
Shop Ali Baba.
Fill all comments sections with criticism of Bezos.

Considering that the average age of Murkins is in the mid thirties and there has not been much meaningful anti-trust action during the past forty years, most Murkins probably don't know anti-trust from anti-freeze. Perhaps they recall hearing about it in a class as they were dozing off.

I don't do much online shopping at all, mostly because I try my best to support local merchants. I could never say exactly why I avoided doing business with Amazon, but Ralph Nader just explained it all to me. Thanks for that Ralph. Now I understand why I have never shopped there and never will.

Unfortunately my only source for books, a local merchant of many years, had George Bush to visit for a book signing. I called them and said I refuse to do business with merchants feting war criminals, and considered that I might have to start shopping at Amazon. Now I will not.

Lets hope they figure it out before it comes time to pay off their student loans or their homes are foreclosed on.

i my neighborhood we have a book nook (for lack of a better term) people put in books or take them out at will. It started as mostly children's books and grew. There are other resources, who knows you might find something better.

The number of "neighborhood book nooks" has been increasing and they have spread to many towns since I first encountered one in Seattle about 5 years ago.

Most of my spending is local, limiting my on-line purchases to things not available locally, which is at most a half dozen purchases in a year that include such things as clothing, greenhouse/garden supplies, heating/ventilating equipment, tools and hobby equipment. I have always been able to get these items directly from the respective retailer or wholesaler on-line and it took little or no extra time than it would have taken ordering from Amazon.

The one thing I like about Amazon is that I can initiate my search on their site and find all of my options before I go shopping locally or to another website...the opposite of how the media tells me many other people shop.

Yes. I don't buy very much. I made one purchase on Amazon. For me the fun is in the search. I try to buy local.

If you have to shop at amazon try doing smile.amazon.com then at the very least you can have some of that money go to charities that more deserve it.

Because I'm disabled I use Amazon and admit it's an evil I can't really avoid. I read lots and usually buy used books and unfortunately Amazon has lots of sellers of used books in one place. When younger I frequented many local bookstores and gave them my business but alas times do change. If some of the other online sellers would improve their websites I'd use them also. I still have to use a few for hard to find books occasionally. I do wish Bezos would treat his employees better.

Kathryn, it's called progress. Older folk have always had problems adapting to new technologies.

Mr Nader missed one othet option:

Maybe Bezos is laughing at people's feeble attempts to stop progress?

Exploiting or abusing workers in a huge warehouse in bad working conditions is not "new" anything. Bezos is guilty as charged.